[Impression] FiiO E10
Nov 1, 2013 at 8:56 PM Post #1,216 of 1,324

I am considering a Fiio E10 was wondering how it is with the PX100ii's?

I think it is a very good and sensible match.  Enough power to give them the juice they need without going overboard in money or watts.

Infinitely better than the soundcard in my main PC: no noise, very clean.

I do have the Olympus version, and I have never noticed a delay of any kind.

Nov 1, 2013 at 9:38 PM Post #1,217 of 1,324
  I think it is a very good and sensible match.  Enough power to give them the juice they need without going overboard in money or watts.

Infinitely better than the soundcard in my main PC: no noise, very clean.

I do have the Olympus version, and I have never noticed a delay of any kind.

Sweet thanks. When using headphones I want something to bypass the IDT setup on my dell.

Nov 2, 2013 at 11:33 AM Post #1,218 of 1,324
  Sweet thanks. When using headphones I want something to bypass the IDT setup on my dell.

I'd be interested to hear about your experience is when you get your E10 in. I use the PX 100 IIs a lot (currently just being run out of my sound card through an inline volume control), and they sound nice without any amp, so I'd like to know whether you experience a notable sound quality improvement, or if it just lets you drive them louder.

Looking through some responses from FiiO in various threads, it sounds like they lowered the kick-in delay after idling from 0.7s to 0.1s with the newer models, but that the delay is still present, so it all comes down to how sensitive you are to that sort of thing. A 100ms start-up delay wouldn't really impact most music (especially if you have a continuous playlist, where you would only hit the delay on the first song), but it could definitely impact other general sounds coming from your computer, since some notifications/click sounds may only be 100-200ms long themselves.

Nov 2, 2013 at 11:38 PM Post #1,219 of 1,324
  I'd be interested to hear about your experience is when you get your E10 in. I use the PX 100 IIs a lot (currently just being run out of my sound card through an inline volume control), and they sound nice without any amp, so I'd like to know whether you experience a notable sound quality improvement, or if it just lets you drive them louder.

Looking through some responses from FiiO in various threads, it sounds like they lowered the kick-in delay after idling from 0.7s to 0.1s with the newer models, but that the delay is still present, so it all comes down to how sensitive you are to that sort of thing. A 100ms start-up delay wouldn't really impact most music (especially if you have a continuous playlist, where you would only hit the delay on the first song), but it could definitely impact other general sounds coming from your computer, since some notifications/click sounds may only be 100-200ms long themselves.

Yeah I've heard about the delay too. I'll keep you posted.
I'm in contemplation between the E10 and the E07K at the moment.  

Nov 3, 2013 at 3:08 PM Post #1,220 of 1,324
Is your model the newest revision (with "Olympus" on the case)? I was thinking of picking one of these up, since discussion earlier in this thread made it sound like the delay issue had been resolved with v3, but now I'm worried that the issue is still present even on the latest version. Can anyone else with a recent purchase of the newest version chime in on the delay effect?

I've had no issues with mine. loving it. I bought one for my brother too. He's had no issues either.

Nov 3, 2013 at 3:32 PM Post #1,221 of 1,324
I've had no issues with mine. loving it. I bought one for my brother too. He's had no issues either.

After reading a few other forum threads, it sounds like whether or not the delay is bothersome comes down to how sensitive the listener is to that sort of thing. When FiiO reduced the delay from 0.7s to 0.1s, it seems to have become imperceptible to 95% of users. I have a feeling that @sundancer is just one of the 5% that's bothered by the remaining 100ms delay (assuming it's on the new "Olympus" model). Unfortunately, since minor things like that tend to bother me more than most, I'm still not comfortable picking one up without being able to try it out first.

Nov 13, 2013 at 12:50 AM Post #1,222 of 1,324
My audio jack on my laptop has been acting odd these days, and I'm considering either getting it fixed or just buying a usb dac. From what I've been reading, a usb DAC is much better than on board sound cards. How does the e10 pair with the GR07? 

Nov 25, 2013 at 5:23 AM Post #1,225 of 1,324
  No, E10 only does good old fashion stereo.

Thanks, I'm just trying to listen one of mine favorite album , Dark Side Of The Moon first time in four channel version, as issued in 1973 on SQ  Quadraphonic LP....
Never mind, anyway prefer 2 ch. regordings. Ordered.

Nov 25, 2013 at 7:24 PM Post #1,226 of 1,324
It's my first time posting in this forum but I read it quite often.

I want to share how I fixed the silence at beginning of sounds problem and also I think I fixed a "plop" I used to hear sometimes at the ending of some sounds (it's not actually a fix but a way to keep the Fiio constantly active).

I generated a wav with silence with Audacity and played it in loop in background. That seems to be enough (at least in Mac) to keep the DAC active. So I programmed in 30 minutes a tiny app for Mac that stays at the menu bar and plays the wav infinitely.

If anyone is interested in trying it out I can share a link, but the app is far from being professionally finished, it's just a small tool I build for myself.

Dec 2, 2013 at 10:09 PM Post #1,227 of 1,324
  It's my first time posting in this forum but I read it quite often.

I want to share how I fixed the silence at beginning of sounds problem and also I think I fixed a "plop" I used to hear sometimes at the ending of some sounds (it's not actually a fix but a way to keep the Fiio constantly active).

I generated a wav with silence with Audacity and played it in loop in background. That seems to be enough (at least in Mac) to keep the DAC active. So I programmed in 30 minutes a tiny app for Mac that stays at the menu bar and plays the wav infinitely.

If anyone is interested in trying it out I can share a link, but the app is far from being professionally finished, it's just a small tool I build for myself.

Wow that is a really ****ty way to have to solve this problem. I came here with the same issue not really expecting anyone to have known about it/addressed it. Lo and behold, the latest post on this thread is about this very issue. Have there been any solutions other than what you're doing? Is it only with a specific model (I have the one with Olympus stamped on it)?

I just about went crazy with the click noise. I noticed it happened very regularly (e.g., if you pause a youtube video, it clicks at almost exactly 10 seconds thereafter) and so I figured it was some sort of issue with the design that might be fixed by a software solution. Didn't expect what you came up with. So yea, any other thoughts?

EDIT: After reading through the thread a bit, I tried disabling all the USB power save options to know avail. I'm not really willing to buy a USB hub for something that ought to just work, out of the box. I sent FiiO an email about a return. We'll see how this goes...

Dec 3, 2013 at 11:26 PM Post #1,228 of 1,324
  Wow that is a really ****ty way to have to solve this problem. I came here with the same issue not really expecting anyone to have known about it/addressed it. Lo and behold, the latest post on this thread is about this very issue. Have there been any solutions other than what you're doing? Is it only with a specific model (I have the one with Olympus stamped on it)?

I just about went crazy with the click noise. I noticed it happened very regularly (e.g., if you pause a youtube video, it clicks at almost exactly 10 seconds thereafter) and so I figured it was some sort of issue with the design that might be fixed by a software solution. Didn't expect what you came up with. So yea, any other thoughts?

EDIT: After reading through the thread a bit, I tried disabling all the USB power save options to know avail. I'm not really willing to buy a USB hub for something that ought to just work, out of the box. I sent FiiO an email about a return. We'll see how this goes...

Yeah, this solution sucks monkey butts, but it's the only one I found so far hahahah

Why would a USB hub work? Should it be externally powered or just a normal USB hub?

Dec 3, 2013 at 11:55 PM Post #1,229 of 1,324

Yeah, this solution sucks monkey butts, but it's the only one I found so far hahahah

Why would a USB hub work? Should it be externally powered or just a normal USB hub?

If you look further back in the thread some people talk about plugging it in through an independently powered USB hub (powered by AC) to solve the issue of it essentially going into standby between inputs. I can't really say if it worked off hand, but even if it did, I'm not that desperate. I'd sooner get something of higher quality than worry myself with band aids.

Dec 6, 2013 at 1:57 PM Post #1,230 of 1,324
So I contacted FiiO customer service about possibly getting a refund for the E10 because of the popping issues that I (and YYZ88) described above, but they said that the only option would be to send it in for a repair. I said alright and checked it out with shipping companies and found that sending it to China would end up costing more than what I paid for the thing originally, so I said no thanks. They came back and said they'd send an E07K too for my troubles if I sent the E10 back for repairs. I don't really have much use for it though, so I decided to just move on from FiiO. I ordered the Schiit Magni/Modi combo to replace the E10.

I can't knock FiiO customer service because they're doing what they can under the circumstances of crappy quality control, but I still don't want to have much to do with them for that same reason. Their products are great performers for the price... when they work. But when they don't, the fact that they're in China and are likely only offering those low prices because of their economy of scale and lack of quality control, it's just not worth the risk imo.

That is all. Not dealing wif it.

EDIT: Made a post on the next page chronicling the process of their eventually offering me a new E10 free of charge. I didn't even ask for one, but I won't say no.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back