[Impression] FiiO E10
Jul 9, 2013 at 10:54 PM Post #1,186 of 1,324
Quote:
In all honesty the best way to eliminate the USB idle issue is to go inside the power management settings of Windows..pretty easy...  

Tried that before, doesn't work. Powered USB hub does.

Jul 9, 2013 at 11:12 PM Post #1,188 of 1,324
Get a MAC  
biggrin.gif

Jul 10, 2013 at 1:59 AM Post #1,190 of 1,324
Quote:
hmm... possibly issue with mobo, not issue but a quirk really... my mobo let's me keep the USB powered on as well in the BIOS utility... maybe check there?

It is Windows (OS) issue. It first appeared in Vista, but fixed in an update. Then it showed up later in W7 and W8. Requests were submitted to MS years ago for a fix but it was ignored so far. It is not really a new problem. I know because I have done some research into it. I have the same PC running Vista before without any problem, then upgrade to W8 pro and have to use a powered USB hub to keep the OS from messing with the USB DAC. Same PC, same BIOS, same hardware, different OS. The problem lies in how the OS deals with USB Audio Class 1 hardware, especially those in higher than 16/44.1 resolution. The quick fix is to implement native support for Audio Class 2 driver inside the OS, which MS doesn't want to do for whatever reason.

Jul 10, 2013 at 5:09 AM Post #1,191 of 1,324
Quote:
In all honesty the best way to eliminate the USB idle issue is to go inside the power management settings of Windows..pretty easy...  
What you're looking for is the Power Options in the Control Panel.... Also setting the drop-down menu to High Performance first, then modify the USB setting to 'Disabled'

(image attachment no working for me) lol ... lame!

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-rERTkQuOX1Q/UdzGQvpSz5I/AAAAAAAAOso/ZIvk8SSfviQ/w419-h450-no/USB+power.jpg

Thank you, I'll try this first before getting a hub/new cable.

Jul 13, 2013 at 8:05 PM Post #1,194 of 1,324
Quote:
Hey there CeliOS I've been meaning to ask, do you think that the E10 will be a good match for the Brainwavz B2?

Should be good. I don't see why they won't work. E10 slight warmness should compliment B2 well.

Jul 24, 2013 at 8:46 PM Post #1,196 of 1,324
Alright, I got the hub and after testing it out the problem was still there... in fact, the noise is very audible and loud compared to when I just plug it straight to PC. 

I bought this one http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=262&products_id=24292. I doubt the hub itself was defective as all of the ports worked as well as any USB devices hooked up to this hub works perfectly fine.
I also tried plugging the hub USB to other ports on my PC as well as use different ports for DAC (there are 4 ports on the hub) however, the result was the same.

At this stage, I'm not sure what to do atm. I'll get that USB to mini cable I've mentioned before and test it out. If this still doesn't work, then I guess the problem is either my mobo or DAC itself.

Jul 24, 2013 at 10:29 PM Post #1,197 of 1,324
Try it on another PC (if you haven't done so). If the problem persists, better just return the USB hub while you still can and claim warranty on the E10 if it has any.

Jul 24, 2013 at 11:21 PM Post #1,198 of 1,324
Quote:
Try it on another PC (if you haven't done so). If the problem persists, better just return the USB hub while you still can and claim warranty on the E10 if it has any.

Tried it on my friend's laptop and the noise was still there.

I'll keep the hub since my sister needed it anyway and as for the DAC, I'll send an email to the seller and FiiO. I'm still under the warranty however, judging by my previous experience with FiiO's customer service it will take them months (we're talking about three or more months) to fix/replace the DAC. FYI, this is the 3rd FiiO DAC I've owned as the previous two had all sorts of problem and it resulted in more than six months of waiting for the refund.

With that being said, I think getting a new DAC would be a wise option. After doing some research I've found various DAC/amp combo such as Schiit Magni + Modi, Aune T1, O2 combo, Matrix M-stage etc however, I'm not sure which to get. Also, there seems to be no DAC that is equal to or better than E10 in terms of price and quality.

Jul 25, 2013 at 7:26 AM Post #1,199 of 1,324
m-stage I think is closest to what you're used to with the e10. as for just a inexpensive dac, looking at the hifimediy sabre. 40-50. ppl have said that it's similar to the odac. if you're in the states, I'm about to post my modi+magni combo on the for sales thread for what I feel is a reasonable price, pm me if you're interested.

Jul 26, 2013 at 6:07 AM Post #1,200 of 1,324
Quote:
m-stage I think is closest to what you're used to with the e10. as for just a inexpensive dac, looking at the hifimediy sabre. 40-50. ppl have said that it's similar to the odac. if you're in the states, I'm about to post my modi+magni combo on the for sales thread for what I feel is a reasonable price, pm me if you're interested.

I was thinking of getting M-Stage initially (before getting FiiO) but the price is just too high.

Unfortunately, I don't live in the states though I'd love to get a modi+magni combo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back