[Impression] FiiO E10
Jan 2, 2014 at 1:02 PM Post #1,249 of 1,324
Just got mine today. The sound quality definitely seems better/clearer with more detail than my Xonar DG. I have one issue, though. The infamous "popping", or "crackling", is present. It seems to occur at relatively random intervals, possibly only when there is no other audio playing (or it's just because I can't hear it with other audio playing - EDIT: The popping/crackling is present even with audio playing). Mostly it's a relatively quiet kind of crackle, so it doesn't bother me that much right now (ok, maybe a bit), but it's still a little disappointing.

Any ideas? I'm running an i7-2600k, so it definitely shouldn't be a CPU issue (~5% CPU usage when I've checked while listening via the E10). I think I'll just have to live with it until I decide/can afford to get a better amplifier. Don't think I'm gonna bother with expensive return shipping which might not even get me what I want (judging from other, older posts I've seen) - not for an item at this price at least. I'll try it on my laptop later and see if it yields the same result.

EDIT:

So that's odd... Tried another pair of headphones + some in-ear ones. No popping sound. Huh. I have no issues with the pair I primarily use if I plug them into my sound card. Also just tried plugging them into my phone - works fine. So I plugged them back into the E10, and for over 5 minutes I have heard nothing at all. So uh...
-------
I just realised that I'm an idiot who let the cable rest close to/on top of my network switch... Moved it after plugging the headphones into the phone. Now there's nothing... Upon moving the cable close to the switch again, it happens within a couple of seconds... So yeah, interference... Disregard everything I said, I suppose. No reason at all for me to get mad! :)

Jan 14, 2014 at 5:19 PM Post #1,250 of 1,324
I got mine today. Compared to Xonar DGX it's not day and night difference but I didn't expect that. I still think I could say which I'm listening with blind test. Bass is so much better with Ultrasone 580s, I can hear 20 Hz now :D After I find good EQ settings it will be much better. And no hiss nor other weird sounds. Headphone jack is very tight. I can say I'm pretty happy.

With 100% Windows volume I could only go max 2 on volume pot, reduced to 50%... Cannot hear difference still.

Feb 22, 2014 at 6:30 AM Post #1,251 of 1,324
Got mine yesterday. Using with sens hd518. First impression vs my ****y creative sound card - not that big of the difference really. But then I think that I equalized the **** of my creative card, commited few days to get every frequenze right for my 518 and e10 reproduce the same sound with better clarity (fiio e10 to my ears sounds very very clean, no his or diz) without any equalization software. So yay for that. Second, creative stuggled to power 518, I almost always was listening to it at almost full volume and e10 is powering it without any problemo. The weekend is ahead so I will try to equalize the **** of e10 and see that I will it sound then. Cheers.

Feb 23, 2014 at 8:59 AM Post #1,252 of 1,324
Well, what can I say... After an evening playing with fiio e10 I got first wow then listening for my 518 in a long time. My creative equalization setup works miracles to it. Soundstage opened up, vocals got foward and sounds very clean, bass tightened up ( I use bass boost on fiio e10). Very nice upgrade from my sound card. Looking to upgrade my 518 to dt 770, so I'll see what happens when :)

Mar 1, 2014 at 8:04 PM Post #1,253 of 1,324
I just received my brand new E10 Olympus a couple of days ago and right from the start I noticed there was a delay on the audio signal. As far as I have understood by reading from this thread, the Olympus should be Fiio's newest revision of the E10 and that the delay problem should have been fixed on this model. The delay that occurs on my unit is not the usual 0.7ms but rather 0.2s. I came to this result by playing around in Audacity, trying to measure the length of the delay. Additionally I have tested the unit in both OS X 10.9 and Windows 8, running on the same machine, tweaking at the audio settings but with the same result. My current conclusion is that the device is faulty and I should have it replaced by Amazon where I bought it, but what are your thoughts on this matter?  

Mar 20, 2014 at 3:06 PM Post #1,254 of 1,324
There is a rumor going around that the E10 is being discontinued, any truth to that?

Mar 20, 2014 at 10:19 PM Post #1,255 of 1,324
  There is a rumor going around that the E10 is being discontinued, any truth to that?

I don't know any discontinuation, but I think it is probably due for an updated version. FiiO usually keeps a 2 years update scheme for their models.

Mar 23, 2014 at 4:17 PM Post #1,256 of 1,324
According to here (http://www.head-fi.org/t/710952/what-happened-to-the-fiio-e10) the word is that the E10k will be out in the middle of this year.

I was looking around and noticed that the E10 was becoming hard to find. I may have to buy another one because the jack broke on my E10 and I had to ship it back to Fiio in China for repair, and that was over 2 months ago and they haven't received it, so who knows what happened.

Mar 25, 2014 at 6:06 AM Post #1,257 of 1,324
I've ordered an E10 explicitly described as "Olympus" from Accessoryjack and after concerns about genuinity, I wrote them an email. The support sent me a picture of an E10 from their stock that has gold-plated jacks but no Olympus writing on the unit itself nor mention of this word on its box or its manual. I'm really worried now that I will get an older batch of the item and all its issues. Or, god beware, even a fake product. Now, question is: Is there an official batch of "golden" Fiios without being explicitly called Olympus?

Mar 26, 2014 at 2:06 AM Post #1,258 of 1,324
  It's my first time posting in this forum but I read it quite often.

I want to share how I fixed the silence at beginning of sounds problem and also I think I fixed a "plop" I used to hear sometimes at the ending of some sounds (it's not actually a fix but a way to keep the Fiio constantly active).

I generated a wav with silence with Audacity and played it in loop in background. That seems to be enough (at least in Mac) to keep the DAC active. So I programmed in 30 minutes a tiny app for Mac that stays at the menu bar and plays the wav infinitely.

If anyone is interested in trying it out I can share a link, but the app is far from being professionally finished, it's just a small tool I build for myself.

I'm quoting myself to let you all know that I made the tool a little bit better so I could release it. It's only for Mac OS X, so anyone with this OS and a problematic Fiio E10 might want to give it a try. It's been working great for me so far.

Here is the link to the project: https://github.com/danieldabate/FiioE10Fixer
And here the download link: https://sourceforge.net/projects/fiioe10fixer/

Hope it helps someone else!

Apr 15, 2014 at 12:06 AM Post #1,259 of 1,324
  According to here (http://www.head-fi.org/t/710952/what-happened-to-the-fiio-e10) the word is that the E10k will be out in the middle of this year.

I was looking around and noticed that the E10 was becoming hard to find. I may have to buy another one because the jack broke on my E10 and I had to ship it back to Fiio in China for repair, and that was over 2 months ago and they haven't received it, so who knows what happened.

Funny to see this, the jack on my unit broke last week... For the past few months actually, I was hearing the hiss people complain about - which I found odd because I didn't have the hiss for a year. Last week all of a sudden I lost the right channel so when I opened it up I noticed the crappy glue Fiio uses to hold the jack down more securely had cracked; one solder point was loose and another broken right at the jack.

You should see my unit now, I epoxy'd the jack down so that it's resting on the solder points perfectly.

The copper ring also broke so I broke it off, bought me a splitter and epoxy'd THAT onto the front.

I figured, what the hell..  I'll do a cheap $5 job and try to fix it or end up buying another DAC that I can use at work.

If/when I ever buy a new E10K I'll be sure to open it right away and epoxy the jacks down so the weak points in the unit are rock solid.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back