IE8 vs. Monster Turbine Pro Copper/Gold/MD for "Techno"
May 15, 2010 at 8:35 PM Post #121 of 199
+1 to sdot's impressions on the Monsters.  They are definitely different beasts to my ears and Noel Lee of Monster even explained the targeted signature for each model.  The posted frequency curves do not do the differences justice.  The only way i can get the coppers to have similar treble to the MD's is by inserting them too deep.  For Techno and Metal I think the Coppers win out of the 3 Monsters due to treble presence and extension.  For me the Coppers were a bit more fatiguing and I kept missing that extra texture, weight and decay on the mids and bass.  I just love the sound of woods, strings, piano (yes, i know piano is a string instrument) and drums on the MD's.  As has already been mentioned, the real seal of the deal was for portable movie watching on my smartphone.  I have a lot of action/war movies and couldn't stand the sound of canons and gunfire being like pop guns w/ other IEM's.  Saving Private Ryan w/ Ety4's is pretty much Epic FAIL. 
tongue.gif

@ Mace, I'm definitely cool bro! 
beerchug.gif
  Did you have to bring Bose into this, that's a low blow man!! 
etysmile.gif

May 15, 2010 at 9:22 PM Post #122 of 199

Quote:
@cjkb90: I have listened to all of the earphones here and I find that the MD's and the Coppers are not the same with one being a limited edition and one not. The MD's easily have more bass esp in the sub bass area and also have a smaller stage. IMO their signature is closer to the Golds than the Coppers.

This is not even subjective, it's plain true. I have lat many people hear the Monster Trio, no one has ever thought the copper and MD's sound the same. As rwarster pointed out, the MD's and Golds are much closer. I owned all 3 for quite some time, and allowed many people to compare. I'm not torching any one of the three, I don't want anyone to think the coppers and MD's sound alike. I know several, that like one, and can't stand the other.  No offense cjkg90....I just don't want anyone to think the MD's and coppers sound the same.  They don't and not everyone prefers the MD's.

May 16, 2010 at 7:24 PM Post #123 of 199
++1 to Anaxilus & the search never ends The Copper's are probably your best bet for Techno/Metal. But anything that contains unsynthasized instruments, as Anaxilus pointed out, I will chose my MDs anyday! It's truly incredible how they are able to reproduce accurate sound and always leave me in musical bliss. Jazz is not the only genre they do justice, I mainly listen to rap/hip-hop & movies with these IEMs bc of their incredible sub-bass extension and until I find a better IEM in this department I'm going to continue to recommend/defend the MD's, or for that matter the entire TBP line. Whoever said the IE8 is phasing out is correct, they can not compete unless soundstage is all you like. Even then I find my MDs to have great soundstage, by no means IE8 stage, but still worth mentioning.

May 16, 2010 at 10:59 PM Post #124 of 199
This has been a very nice thread and I was going through it because I'm prepping for a Turbine Gold purchase. 

But I would like to add that for Techno I'd rather have the TF10 compared to the IE8.

May 19, 2010 at 11:45 PM Post #125 of 199
I just noticed that according the HeadRoom, the IE8s with the bass knob turned all the way up perform very similarly to the turbine pro coppers.  I know that graphs don't tell the whole story, but I though it was interesting at least.  It isn't possible that monster licenses the driver from Sennheiser, is it?

May 20, 2010 at 6:27 AM Post #126 of 199
i am eyeing the Monster pro gold too. So among the monster iems or IE8, may i know which one has the most 20hz - 80hz sub bass? thanks :)

May 21, 2010 at 12:11 PM Post #128 of 199
the one with the most 20-80 sub bass is actually the vanilla Monster Turbines (non-pro)

May 21, 2010 at 12:18 PM Post #129 of 199
hmm i tot it was the monster pro gold all along? because it has enhanced bass responding

Jun 4, 2010 at 7:52 AM Post #130 of 199
So, when using the Comply tips with my Coppers, I've been having some problems. After wearing them for a few hours, when I try to remove the earphones from my ears (sorry, the in-ear speakers 
etysmile.gif
 ) the earphones come out but the tips stay deep inside my ears. I have tried both small and medium sizes, and my ear canals are by no means a large. What ends up happening is that I can only use each pair of tips for about 2-3 weeks, because when I remove them from inside my ears, I need to use my fingernails or some sort of tweezer or other tool, hence damaging the foam tips.

Has anyone else had problems like this? I don't know if it might be a problem exclusive to the Coppers, I havent tried the foam tips in other earphones.

Jun 4, 2010 at 10:12 AM Post #131 of 199

Quote:
So, when using the Comply tips with my Coppers, I've been having some problems. After wearing them for a few hours, when I try to remove the earphones from my ears (sorry, the in-ear speakers 
etysmile.gif
 ) the earphones come out but the tips stay deep inside my ears. I have tried both small and medium sizes, and my ear canals are by no means a large. What ends up happening is that I can only use each pair of tips for about 2-3 weeks, because when I remove them from inside my ears, I need to use my fingernails or some sort of tweezer or other tool, hence damaging the foam tips.

Has anyone else had problems like this? I don't know if it might be a problem exclusive to the Coppers, I havent tried the foam tips in other earphones.

Comply tips don't give the best sound (they occlude the treble). Don't use them! The white foam supertips are much better.

Jun 4, 2010 at 10:19 AM Post #132 of 199

Quote:
etysmile.gif

I just read this thread and though I haven't touched the MTs, I'd have to chime in and say that for me, the isolation can be achieved for the IE8s but at the loss of SQ. And I think what you have just done is one of the reasons why I don't bother with the comply tips.

that being said, play around with tips. Cos the ones that give me isolation on the IE8s do crap all for SQ, but those that lack the isolation have way better SQ.

earphones to me are primarily better on SQ then I decide on isolation which can always be mixed around and we spend this much for SQ, not isolation.

Jun 4, 2010 at 11:07 AM Post #133 of 199

Quote:
hmm i tot it was the monster pro gold all along? because it has enhanced bass responding

I'm just going by the freq graphs.

Jun 4, 2010 at 1:30 PM Post #134 of 199

Quote:
I'm just going by the freq graphs.

i tested both the pro gold and pro copper 2 weeks back and found that the copper has better bass extension and response than the golds! now looking at this chart it makes sense. So i conclude MTPC > MTPG in every area? Since bass was gold's strength but i dont see tat now. haha

Jun 4, 2010 at 5:48 PM Post #135 of 199
Still depends. Some peoe may prefer the smoother treble of the Gold. Also not sure how the graph showe the Coppers as superior in bass... Look about the same in that part. The differences in your hearing tests must be due to something not in the graphs.

I really want to try the Coppers out!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back