IE8 vs. Monster Turbine Pro Copper/Gold/MD for "Techno"
May 12, 2010 at 5:58 AM Post #106 of 199
First of all, I'm glad to see that this thread has revived, I did not expect to see such passionate debate and vivid participation when I started it.

Since I had not been on the forum in a few weeks, here are some things I have to say about posts I've read. Please keep in mind that I have limited experience with high end IEMs (when compared to many people on headfi, obviously not when compared to the general population) so if I am making any inaccurate assumptions or if I am plain wrong about something, feel free to correct me. Ok, here goes a long post.

Quote:
The MD's are a definate step up over the Copper's, they have a very similar sound signature obviously but have more impactful and better sub-bass.  I think the highs of each are nearly identical with the MD's having a much more fuller sound.

sdotfire, I have talked to Monster representatives, who said that the Coppers and MDs are nearly identical, that the only real difference is that the MD is a collectors item and comes with cds (or dvds, cant remember) and thus attribute the heftier price tag to these reasons. I have not heard the MDs, but have you considered that maybe the differences you "hear" are simply illusions? That you think they are "better" simply because they are more expensive? I have not heard the MDs and I might be terribly wrong, but I believe the representatives I talked to would have told me the MDs were better/different. Please, don't get me wrong I am not trying to bash your point of view.

Quote:
beyersmile.png

I didn't c the OP got the Copper's, good choice man.  You will not be dissappointed and they only get better with time, trust me.  Do you have an amp?  I think that is your next step if you have yet to embark in the portable amp arena. 

Thanks, I am very much enjoying them! I only use a FiiO E5, which IMHO helps when using an iPod. The switch actually has this weird intermediate position between "Flat" and "Bass Boost" which brings improves clarity IMO. They make no mention of this setting, it might actually be a flaw in mine, but I enjoy it. What amp would you personally recommend? I'd like to upgrade within sometime later this year.

Quote:

I dunno, I've seen some put the MD's at a push w/ the 530's w/ perhaps a different presentation.  I haven't listened to the 530's in about a year so.  As for the IE8, I feel safe my kidneys are fine judging by the number of converts and IE8's put up FS.  
wink_face.gif
tongue_smile.gif
I know about 6-8 people that hear sound the same way I do and have complete faith and understanding of how they represented the IE8's.  Unlike the portable DAP threads, the people here in the IEM thread are pretty damned good at reaching consensus on various atributes of SQ.  

All I have to say about the Anaxilus - Macedonianhero debate is that, although experience definitely helps and one should not bash other products without experience, it definitely helps to read what other people think, and base your opinions on products you have not tried by matching them with the tastes of reviewers who hear things the same you do when it comes to products you HAVE heard. 

I mean if this weren't true, then whats the point of headfi and why do we bother exchanging opinions?

Quote:
I just want my DBA-02's  WAHHHHHHH   I'd sell my IE8, MD's and every other dynamic iem I own to keep my orto's.

EDIT:  I like my orto's  :)
EDIT#2: My orto's do techno great :)
EDIT#3  IMO bass heavy iem's ruin most techno and trance

Search, I strongly agree with you in that bass heavy iems ruin trance. Armin's Imagine is meant to be heard with a focus on detail! 
beyersmile.png
 However, with other genres of "techno", an inclination towards bass heaviness can be welcome, as long as it does not interfere with mids/highs. This coming from someone with about 10k "techno" songs (which is why I started this thread with a focus on techno) but not enough experience with different headphones/earphones (yet...
biggrin.gif
)

Quote:

This is overboard, but it works for me at the office surrounded by 30 noisy workstations.  I alternate it with the HD280pro:

Silencio Earmuff Hearing Protectors + IE8 with grey spikey tips (shallow insertion) = huge soundscape and absolute isolation.  You'll just look like a complete dork in the office.
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/728/products_id/11599

Just don't forget to loosen the head band.

D4R, that definitely looks overboard lol but to each his own! Whenever I use the subway (NYC) with my Copper IEMs and the triple flange tips, I can't even hear the subway coming, let alone hearing it while I'm on the subway. Subways are LOUD, so I must say that IMO the triple flange will definitely block out any office noise.

Quote:
@koonhua90 wasn't talking to you.  Sorry if you thought my reply was aimed at you.  Your reply wasn't yet posted when I typed mine.  Indeed the OP should also consider other brands.  I was commenting on the earlier back and forth.  I can see why you thought I was talking about your opinion.

I did consider many other brands, mainly S530s, Westone 3s, Sleek Audio SA6, and the UE10s. It ultimately came down to Monsters and IE8s, which is why I narrowed the thread down to these two. With all the debate going on about these two, I can't imagine what it would have been like if I had also included those other four!

May 12, 2010 at 2:24 PM Post #109 of 199
This comment is subjective and your opinion. I have owned all 3 and feel the treble of the MTP Gold is about the same as the IE8 and the treble of the copper is better than the IE8. I do agree though that both MTP IEM's have better midrange than the IE8. But the IE8 definitely has a wider soundstage but not necessarily as deep a soundstage especially in comparison to the Copper. In the end it comes down to whether a wide sound stage is important to the OP as well as whether they like a midbass hump that colors the midrange or not.

For me I am very happy to live with a narrower but deeper soundstage with the MTPC in exchange for uncolored mids, bass that only exists when it's in the music, excellent midrange that is situated nicely in the middle, and a nicely detailed and sparkly non-sibilant treble.

Quote:

Well it is clear that the IE8 is much better in soundstage width and treble sparkle. Soundstage and treble sparkle for some songs outweighs any other advantages. The only way the Monsters beat it is in the midrange and isolation. Nothing more!
Some songs the Monsters destroy the IE8  but other songs the IE8 sounds far more exciting while the Monsters more boring. It all depends on what music one listens to.

May 12, 2010 at 3:32 PM Post #110 of 199
@cjkb90: I have listened to all of the earphones here and I find that the MD's and the Coppers are not the same with one being a limited edition and one not. The MD's easily have more bass esp in the sub bass area and also have a smaller stage. IMO their signature is closer to the Golds than the Coppers.

May 12, 2010 at 4:33 PM Post #111 of 199
My favorite techno earphone has always been the Triple.Fi 10.  One aspect that I find so few earphones offers is the ability to pull your attention to sounds.  The Triple.Fi 10 is one of the better ones out there that grab or attention and move it around with the song.   Add good emphasis on highs and lows, and it's simply a great techno earphone.  The TF10 is more robust and enveloping for this type of music.

May 12, 2010 at 4:54 PM Post #112 of 199
+1, while I will not comment which one is better because that's up to the individual... they are very different - indeed, monster probably did make them very similar to the coppers with a few tweaks for a jazz enthusiast but they truly do sound very different with the MDs sounding significantly(to my ears) warmer and more emphasis on the midrange

Quote:
@cjkb90: I have listened to all of the earphones here and I find that the MD's and the Coppers are not the same with one being a limited edition and one not. The MD's easily have more bass esp in the sub bass area and also have a smaller stage. IMO their signature is closer to the Golds than the Coppers.

May 12, 2010 at 5:37 PM Post #113 of 199
I currently have both the IE8 and the MTP Gold. The IE8 isolates less but has an incredible sound-stage for an iem. The MTP Gold has a mid bass hump similar to the IE8 but the bass on the IE8 is tighter and has more impact. The mids and highs sound brighter with the MTP Gold. The IE8 has softer highs and better extension than the MTP Gold. I have also read people's comments on how the mids are colored and somewhat veiled with the IE8 but for the life of me, I don't hear it. The mids are clear and very detailed. They are just not as forward sounding as the MTP Gold. In fact, I would say that the mids are more colored with the MTP Gold. Both of them are excellent iems in my opinion but this comes down to personal preference. I get more musical enjoyment with the IE8. I can just sit there and get lost in the music. No other iem and custom iem that I own can do this like the IE8 can. I don't get fatigued and can listen for hours. If I had a choice between the two, it would easily be the IE8. I have to admit that all this talk of the coppers makes me want to buy them but I opted to get the DBA-02 instead since I already own the gold.

May 12, 2010 at 6:58 PM Post #114 of 199
Yeah, IE8 vs. Gold, I'd opt for the IE8 too.  There are some limitations to the Monster that does make it less of a stellar earphone as it could be.  It simply isn't on the same level despite being an all-around good earphone and one that is also well balanced and offering good extension.  There are a number of other earphones I would use over the Monster Gold including many cheaper ones.  The Gold does fall short in several areas including sound stage, separation, and detail.  In some ways the Gold does really shine though.  Still, there is just no comparison between it and the IE8.

I think the recessed mids on the IE8 come from the midbass emphasis that can at times overshadow the mids some.  Frankly, I'm with you.  I found the mids to be appropriate relative to the highs.  With some EQing of the midbass, the IE8 is quite balanced.

I am curous about the DBA-02.  I want to see more reviews popping up.

May 12, 2010 at 8:10 PM Post #115 of 199

Quote:
i

D4R, that definitely looks overboard lol but to each his own! Whenever I use the subway (NYC) with my Copper IEMs and the triple flange tips, I can't even hear the subway coming, let alone hearing it while I'm on the subway. Subways are LOUD, so I must say that IMO the triple flange will definitely block out any office noise.

Yeah it is extreme.  I've tried the regular Turbines with triple flanges, but I can still hear the faint "hiss" from the workstation fans.  I can't get a proper seal.  The only other time I got a proper seal was with the se530 and the black olive squishy tips.  I find it faster to just pop the IE8 in and then the silencio over them.  No more fan noise.

May 13, 2010 at 11:28 PM Post #116 of 199

Quote:

Yeah it is extreme.  I've tried the regular Turbines with triple flanges, but I can still hear the faint "hiss" from the workstation fans.  I can't get a proper seal.  The only other time I got a proper seal was with the se530 and the black olive squishy tips.  I find it faster to just pop the IE8 in and then the silencio over them.  No more fan noise.

If you can't get a proper seal, then you can't judge how well the iem isolates, period. You also can't judge the sound quality of the iem, as without a proper seal, you aren't getting anywhere near the actual sound quality the iem can give, particularly in the lower range.

May 14, 2010 at 5:58 AM Post #117 of 199

Quote:
If you can't get a proper seal, then you can't judge how well the iem isolates, period. You also can't judge the sound quality of the iem, as without a proper seal, you aren't getting anywhere near the actual sound quality the iem can give, particularly in the lower range.

Yup.  That's why I've come to enjoy the IE8 and it's shallow insertion.  I remember discussing with other members in the IE8 appreciation thread concerning that shallow insertion seal/quality aspect awhile back.  I may have even been complaining about achieving a proper seal with the supplied tips. You may disregard whatever earlier comments about sound quality I made about the regular turbines then since I can't get a proper seal with the triple flanges.

May 15, 2010 at 3:53 PM Post #118 of 199

Quote:
 sdotfire, I have talked to Monster representatives, who said that the Coppers and MDs are nearly identical, that the only real difference is that the MD is a collectors item and comes with cds (or dvds, cant remember) and thus attribute the heftier price tag to these reasons. I have not heard the MDs, but have you considered that maybe the differences you "hear" are simply illusions? That you think they are "better" simply because they are more expensive? I have not heard the MDs and I might be terribly wrong, but I believe the representatives I talked to would have told me the MDs were better/different. Please, don't get me wrong I am not trying to bash your point of view.

I have all three and I will tell you right now that the difference between the Copper's and MD's are not subtle to my ears whatsoever.  I have the direct line to one of the designer's over at Monster Cable and have spoken to him countless times, why they use the same driver configuration the MD's produce a much more intimate listening experience with tons more bass.  Not impactful, but better, layered, I have done countless hours of A/Bing all of these IEM's and I actually was sent out the MD's for free so I promise you that the price has nothing to to do with it.  I just watched Avatar the other night and switched between all four of the IEMs in question and was completely blown away with the MD's. 

If you look at the design, the driver is placed further away from your earbud in comparison with the Gold's and Copper's....maybe this is what creates the better bass, more space/air between my earbud and the driver.  I would say the Gold's and MD's are much more similar while the Copper's are a completely different beast....they sound the most analytical out of the bunch with the least emphasis on bass.  The Copper's IMO sound more like a BA driven IEM, but that's just what I hear.  They do have great bass but only when the song has an emphasis on it, or whatever you are listening too.   

I have had finals the past two weeks so I haven't had much time to create a full review but I promise I am currently in development of one,  but I have known since the moment I heard the MD's that they are by far my favorite universal-fit IEM.

May 15, 2010 at 4:05 PM Post #119 of 199
I am still waiting for my Arrow but LOVE the P51 with them out of my current amps.  Trust me though, the MD's and Copper's are not the same at all.  Whoever said the Gold's and MD's are similar but with much better sub-bass in the MD's +++1 to that comment!!!  The Copper's to me have good bass but only when the song has good sub-bass,  it's very tight but not near as persent as with the Gold's or MD's.  If the OP is happy with the Copper's then keep breaking them in and they will only get better. 

The IE8 is something that I have really tried to like but after a few months with them it has become apparent that they only have great, incredible, soundstage.  With my Apple PMPs and their restricted EQ capabilities I find that I only can truly enjoy them via my PC, I ordered an S:Flo2 with a parametric equalizer so maybe that will solve this issue.  But it's gotten to the point were I am only holding onto them for my review and I am pretty sure I will either recable them or ditch them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back