Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Nov 2, 2019 at 9:22 AM Post #7,697 of 18,905
Better ask him. Low gain will always be less noisier, this is fact. I found that high gain is not required for most headphones. High gain is needed only for few power hungry ones or if you want speakers directly driven by tt2. Many high efficiency speakers will be ok even with low gain. To me low gain is very clearly more 3d than high gain.
i did originally think that low gain had better timbre for things like hand drums, but then was swayed by rob saying hi gain is where its at lol

Nov 2, 2019 at 10:35 AM Post #7,698 of 18,905
Nov 2, 2019 at 10:39 AM Post #7,699 of 18,905
Nov 2, 2019 at 11:04 AM Post #7,700 of 18,905
So what’s theoretically best, lower noise or 1 less transistor?
How an additional resistor would cause lower 'residual' noise ? There is clearly something else which rob can only explain. I have a very transparent power amp and high gain mode comes out to be more forward sounding ( with slight bit of edge to treble) than low gain mode. Ps-adding 'anything' extra in the path can never reduce the noise.

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2019 at 11:26 AM Post #7,701 of 18,905
MK I think the hardening is produced by RF as it improves with different RF reducing techniques - ferrited cables etc. OTOH it is most evident at higher volumes. I have been listening in low gain so will try the alternative.
One question I meant to ask you. I notice you use Roon via optical. I tried a similar setup for my old TT. iMac > Roon > optical out > Hugo TT. I found that Roon could not 'see' the TT and was downscaling the output via the iMac's circuits. For me, switching to USB was a much better choice. I cannot test it any more as the iMac has since been upgraded, but keep an eye on the little coloured indicator in Roon which shows the quality of the audio path. I guess you know all this but just thought I would mention it in case.

Yeah, I have no problem with TT2 sound quality driving my less than sensitive speakers. I got the right speaker cable, and the sound is nothing less that smooth, solid, fast, and gorgeous.

Nov 2, 2019 at 11:30 AM Post #7,703 of 18,905
TT is cool to the touch, just an observation

Nov 2, 2019 at 12:38 PM Post #7,704 of 18,905
So what’s theoretically best, lower noise or 1 less transistor?
Easy answer: If in high-gain mode – particularly with sensitive IEMs – the noise is audible or indirectly detrimental to the sound, low gain may be yield better results, despite the theoretical minimal loss of signal purity due to the resistor. In any event: Choose whatever sounds best to your ears!

How an additional resistor would cause lower 'residual' noise ? There is clearly something else which rob can only explain. I have a very transparent power amp and high gain mode comes out to be more forward sounding ( with slight bit of edge to treble) than low gain mode. Ps-adding 'anything' extra in the path can never reduce the noise.
Yes, it can – in that it reduces both the noise (from the output stage!) and the music signal, which forces the user to increase the latter's volume level. Result: better signal/noise ratio.

Nov 2, 2019 at 12:47 PM Post #7,705 of 18,905
Easy answer: If in high-gain mode – particularly with sensitive IEMs – the noise is audible or indirectly detrimental to the sound, low gain may be yield better results, despite the theoretical minimal loss of signal purity due to the resistor. In any event: Choose whatever sounds best to your ears!

Yes, it can – in that it reduces both the noise (from the output stage!) and the music signal, which forces the user to increase the latter's volume level. Result: better signal/noise ratio.
I don't think so because adding resistor will add to output impedance also. I remember rob saying that high gain circuitry is different and uses digital amplification tech.

Nov 2, 2019 at 12:53 PM Post #7,706 of 18,905
I don't think so because adding resistor will add to output impedance also...
My original response was based on a misinterpretation of your statement. Now is see what you mean: A mere serial resistor at the output would increase the output impedance. And that's apparently not the case. So I guess the resistor isn't directly at the output, but buffered by the following output stage. Which means the noise has been produced before it, but after digital volume regulation.

Rob Watts: «The low gain mode has a single resistor switched in on the single global feedback via a relay to reduce the gain.»

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2019 at 1:06 PM Post #7,707 of 18,905
error post

Nov 3, 2019 at 1:32 AM Post #7,708 of 18,905
If I understand correctly (and please correct me if I am wrong), I will obtain better sound by having the Hugo TT 2 drive speakers directly, without adding another amp, and choosing speakers of 90 dB efficiency or better. I get this impression from @Rob Watts , from @GreenBow , and from @ray-dude , who recommends the Omega Super Alnico Monitor speakers.

Right? Any other recommended speakers? Do I need a Subwoofer? Would it have its own amp and crossover?

Any subtleties to running the output of TT2 to speakers? Balanced out or single ended? Simple connector to TT with bare wire ends to speaker inputs?

Thanks so much!

Nov 3, 2019 at 1:43 AM Post #7,709 of 18,905
If I understand correctly (and please correct me if I am wrong), I will obtain better sound by having the Hugo TT 2 drive speakers directly, without adding another amp, and choosing speakers of 90 dB efficiency or better. I get this impression from @Rob Watts , from @GreenBow , and from @ray-dude , who recommends the Omega Super Alnico Monitor speakers.

Right? Any other recommended speakers? Do I need a Subwoofer? Would it have its own amp and crossover?

Any subtleties to running the output of TT2 to speakers? Balanced out or single ended? Simple connector to TT with bare wire ends to speaker inputs?

Thanks so much!
Might be worth searching the thread fir the term, speaker. There’s a lot been said about it, and the answer depends on a few things

Nov 3, 2019 at 2:38 AM Post #7,710 of 18,905

Thanks so much!

Some of the rapturous comments about running direct from TT2 conveniently forget to mention the downsides. To put the counter view, there are compromises that need to be accepted if you are going to run speakers direct off the TT2. For instance do not expect to listen to your favourite rock group at realistic volumes in a largish room. Also, the high efficiency single driver type of speaker is likely to be somewhat challenged in the bass department. It is not for nothing that single driver speakers get the reputation for being best suited to 'girl and a ukulele' type of music. I used the TT2 direct with 95dB speakers but went back to using a 60w amp and 89dB speakers because I wanted to move more air than was possible with the TT2 direct.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back