Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Sep 16, 2018 at 6:19 AM Post #1,652 of 18,905
Hi @Rob Watts

I've always found your digital volume control to be transparent, so why split to hi & lo gain options with Hugo TT 2 ?

i.e. why not just have only the high gain option, even if it means IEMs and other highly sensitive cans are only used at the lower end of the digital volume control scale?

Cheers

Sep 16, 2018 at 6:54 AM Post #1,653 of 18,905
Hi @Rob Watts

I've always found your digital volume control to be transparent, so why split to hi & lo gain options with Hugo TT 2 ?

i.e. why not just have only the high gain option, even if it means IEMs and other highly sensitive cans are only used at the lower end of the digital volume control scale?

Cheers
It's simply noise; with the very high output power, there would be too much noise for use with sensitive IEMs; so the gain switch changes the gain of the amplifier, thus reducing the residual noise to an extremely low 1.7 uV.

Sep 16, 2018 at 11:43 AM Post #1,654 of 18,905
I don't want to ask nintronics if my hugo TT 2 has arrived, sitting there all boxed up gathering dust.I've asked Juz who is in charge of the whip around for me how much money I've got so far and he said three quid so at least I'm popular

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2018 at 5:11 PM Post #1,655 of 18,905
Just curious, is the hugo tt2 worth the upgrade over the hugo tt? Does it do or have any must have massive upgrades over the tt that makes it a must have upgrade in anyway?

I’m considering picking up the tt instead of the tt2 purely based on price points as I can pick up a used tt for pretty cheap, any unbiased opinions out there? Or it’s worth the jump.

I also note they still choose for some reason to run this thing with batteries, why? What’s the point? It’s a table top device your not carrying it around in your backpack using it with iems, they could have reduced costs by not having batteries. And my biggest issue and the reason I sold my hugo2 and mojo was not only the noise issues when coupled with usb or optical to my pc but the heat output could of fried and egg, I went through 2 hugo 2’s and two mojos and both did the same thing and just wrecked my listening experience.

I’m heavily leaning towards schiit now if i’m being honest as I’ve not had these issues with them before but now seen this tt2 and is up for some consideration along with the tt standard. But the more I read about these things having batteries etc the worse the flavour tatses for me because of the noise issue I’ve had in the past.

Sep 16, 2018 at 5:20 PM Post #1,656 of 18,905
Just curious, is the hugo tt2 worth the upgrade over the hugo tt? Does it do or have any must have massive upgrades over the tt that makes it a must have upgrade in anyway?

I’m considering picking up the tt instead of the tt2 purely based on price points as I can pick up a used tt for pretty cheap, any unbiased opinions out there? Or it’s worth the jump.

I also note they still choose for some reason to run this thing with batteries, why? What’s the point? It’s a table top device your not carrying it around in your backpack using it with iems, they could have reduced costs by not having batteries. And my biggest issue and the reason I sold my hugo2 and mojo was not only the noise issues when coupled with usb or optical to my pc but the heat output could of fried and egg, I went through 2 hugo 2’s and two mojos and both did the same thing and just wrecked my listening experience.

I’m heavily leaning towards schiit now if i’m being honest as I’ve not had these issues with them before but now seen this tt2 and is up for some consideration along with the tt standard. But the more I read about these things having batteries etc the worse the flavour tatses for me because of the noise issue I’ve had in the past.

The Hugo TT 2 does not use batteries. I've never had any noise issues with USB or optical with a Mojo or any two of the Hugo 2's I've owned. Sounds like you had a ground loop, which is awful but cheap and easy to fix and more circumstantial rather than a result of the Chord products.

Also the Hugo M Scaler would likely be the bigger upgrade than the TT 2.

Sep 16, 2018 at 5:21 PM Post #1,657 of 18,905

Hugo TT is very cool to the touch regardless of whether or not it’s plugged in.

To me it sounds best with no charger connected , something you can’t do with TT2 unfortunately.

But TT 2 has an even better headphone/ speaker amp and dac circuitry so it’s something to consider if you have hard to drive headphones.

Sep 16, 2018 at 5:49 PM Post #1,658 of 18,905

I also can confirm that the TT runs cool as a cucumber. One of the advantages of battery operation is isolation from mains nasties such as mains spikes, fluctuations in voltage etc. I suspect that this, in addition to the high resolution Rob Watts DAC, is responsible for the very 'natural' sound of the TT. I once heard a high end battery operated DNM preamp many years ago which I recall as having a similarly 'natural' sound i.e lacking any significant electronic edge.
I certainly wouldn't put you off looking for a second hand one - I've had mine since they came out and am very happy with it.
The only thing to bear in mind is that at some point the battery will need replacing. I have no idea how long it is designed to last for and what it would cost to replace. Can anybody shed any light on this?
I heard the TT2 and M Scaler at CanJam London in July and was very impressed by the increase in resolution. So I will be looking to demo them when they are both available. So one reason for going for the TT2 is that you would be able to use the M Scaler with it. The TT does not have the right connections.

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2018 at 7:47 PM Post #1,659 of 18,905
The Hugo TT 2 does not use batteries. I've never had any noise issues with USB or optical with a Mojo or any two of the Hugo 2's I've owned. Sounds like you had a ground loop, which is awful but cheap and easy to fix and more circumstantial rather than a result of the Chord products.

Also the Hugo M Scaler would likely be the bigger upgrade than the TT 2.

Yes, the Hugo tt2 does use batteries. Taken directly from chords website.

"Hugo TT 2 eschews the Li-Po battery power supply of the original and ushers in six super capacitors capable of delivering huge, linear dynamic currents when the music demands it with peak output of 5A, 9.3V RMS"

Sep 16, 2018 at 8:02 PM Post #1,660 of 18,905

"Hugo TT 2 eschews the Li-Po battery power supply of the original and ushers in six super capacitors capable of delivering huge, linear dynamic currents when the music demands it with peak output of 5A, 9.3V RMS"

Eschew = avoids using?

Sep 16, 2018 at 9:13 PM Post #1,661 of 18,905

es·chew
əsˈCHo͞o/
verb
  1. deliberately avoid using; abstain from.

Sep 16, 2018 at 11:03 PM Post #1,662 of 18,905
So are we still being given an "autumn" release date?

Sep 16, 2018 at 11:08 PM Post #1,663 of 18,905
es·chew
əsˈCHo͞o/
verb
  1. deliberately avoid using; abstain from.

Yes I understand the meaning, come on man.

I'm referring to "supercapacitors" is a form of battery no?

"The basic differencece between batteries and supercapacitors is supposed to be that batteries store energy as a chemical reaction and supercapacitors store it as a static charge"

Sep 16, 2018 at 11:30 PM Post #1,664 of 18,905
Yes I understand the meaning, come on man.

I'm referring to "supercapacitors" is a form of battery no?

"The basic differencece between batteries and supercapacitors is supposed to be that batteries store energy as a chemical reaction and supercapacitors store it as a static charge"

It's a higher capacity capacitor, still not a lithium battery. But lithium batteries were not the source of your noise issues. Hugo TT 2 is rated for 4 uV noise on high gain, 1.7 uV at low gain.

Sep 17, 2018 at 4:01 AM Post #1,665 of 18,905

People felt the Hugo 2 was a substantial upgrade over the Hugo. (Partly/maybe-mostly due to a doubling of taps.)

The Hugo TT 2 will be a larger upgrade. (Due to a quadrupling of taps.) It also has a very powerful output, and can drive speakers, as well as high impedance headphones.

Also the issue of the TT2 being plugged in, and the TT maybe sounding better unplugged. Rob claims to eliminated any change in sound in the Hugo 2, plugged in or not. ... I think hear no change on that with the Hugo 2.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back