Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Oct 3, 2018 at 8:30 AM Post #1,786 of 18,907
As stated by JaZZ, you can't bypass the amp stage and use TT as a DAC only. Line out and headphone out carry the same signal.
However, I do agree with you on the TT SQ. I find Yggy more open and transparent.

Is the TT2 a bit different in this regard? What exactly is engaged in high gain mode? Also, I believe it does have true balanced output as an option. @Rob Watts ?

Oct 3, 2018 at 8:38 AM Post #1,787 of 18,907
Gain adds distortion, but you need 18 watts, you got it. Tt as all chord dacs are se. there is no true balanced option, but I use it just fine balanced.

Oct 3, 2018 at 9:55 AM Post #1,788 of 18,907
Is the TT2 a bit different in this regard? What exactly is engaged in high gain mode? Also, I believe it does have true balanced output as an option. @Rob Watts ?

TT2 is exactly the same as all my DACs - a SE output amplifier, combining filtering, I to V conversion, and output current in one single stage. This amplification stage uses the second order analogue noise shaper topology, and of course the high power discrete OP.

The low gain mode has a single resistor switched in on the single global feedback via a relay to reduce the gain.

The balanced negative output is created from an inverted amplifier stage using the same amplifier circuit as the SE output amplifier.

Oct 3, 2018 at 10:17 AM Post #1,789 of 18,907
TT2 is exactly the same as all my DACs - a SE output amplifier, combining filtering, I to V conversion, and output current in one single stage. This amplification stage uses the second order analogue noise shaper topology, and of course the high power discrete OP.

The low gain mode has a single resistor switched in on the single global feedback via a relay to reduce the gain.

The balanced negative output is created from an inverted amplifier stage using the same amplifier circuit as the SE output amplifier.

Thanks for the clarification as usual. When using DAC mode, is there any difference between the XLR and RCA outputs?

Oct 3, 2018 at 10:30 AM Post #1,790 of 18,907
DAC mode? whats that? Really depends on if you have a balanced amp or not. Chord philosophy has always been, don't amp, stick to se direct. RCA would be technically preferred but im listening balanced as i type, wow immersive.

Oct 3, 2018 at 10:37 AM Post #1,791 of 18,907
DAC mode? whats that? Really depends on if you have a balanced amp or not. Chord philosophy has always been, don't amp, stick to se direct. RCA would be technically preferred but im listening balanced as i type, wow immersive.

The Hugo TT 2 actually has separate modes (the manual is on its page now). DAC mode is fixed 2.5v RMS output. Based on what Rob says it seems RCA out should have fewer components in the signal path and be more pure.

Oct 3, 2018 at 10:42 AM Post #1,792 of 18,907
The Hugo TT 2 actually has separate modes (the manual is on its page now). DAC mode is fixed 2.5v RMS output. Based on what Rob says it seems RCA out should have fewer components in the signal path and be more pure.

I presume DAC mode on TT2 is a fixed volume shortcut like on the DAVE and nothing is bypassed. The single amplification stage is analogous to the line-out of other DACs, or one may call it the analogue stage of the DAC. As Rob said it’s not 4 seperate components in the output stage.

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2018 at 10:44 AM Post #1,793 of 18,907
Is the dac mode fixed line out. Thats what i use on TT now, but i decrease the volume 1 notch kinda to reduce exposure. yes RCA is more direct i suppose, not a tech, but balance out if you have a balanced amp, don't worry.

Oct 3, 2018 at 10:52 AM Post #1,794 of 18,907
There is no DAC mode. Line out and headphone out share the same signal path which is not fixed volume.

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2018 at 3:56 PM Post #1,797 of 18,907
does anyone know if TT2 could power KEF LS50 without an amplifier?
I will hazard an educated guess, and say yes.
Those KEFs are 85 db efficiency.
My Hugo2 will comfortably drive Wharfedale Diamonds (86 db) as computer monitors, so I would expect the TT2 to have plenty of power for the KEFs. The only question mark in my mind would be if you were trying to fill a large room, playing music with a large dynamic range.

This post calculates the power needed for a Hugo 2 https://www.head-fi.org/threads/cho...official-thread.831345/page-384#post-13599131

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2018 at 5:44 PM Post #1,799 of 18,907
When chord release the manual online as they have done now with TT2 it normally means the product is due an imminent release. Don't come running after me if im wrong but based on past new releases it always goes that way. Now i have HMS and H2 would there be any point upgrading to TT2 as i have very easy to drive headphones oppo pm1? I know of low gain/noise shaper......TT2 i need some help now please thanks. mk

Oct 3, 2018 at 5:57 PM Post #1,800 of 18,907
Yes there is a point, but how’s your budget, I’m fine with ch1 as a portable and tt but go crazy. Tt2 will be awesome

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back