Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Oct 3, 2018 at 6:20 PM Post #1,801 of 18,958
That's a great question actually. If you are already using Hugo 2 + M Scaler, what benefits would the TT 2 provide if for both setups you are using the same amp? Aside from being able to use better interconnects.

Oct 3, 2018 at 7:32 PM Post #1,802 of 18,958
I don't use an amp just hms into hugo2 into highly sensitive oppo pm1. Then again TT2 does have 3.5mm headphone and low gain an important point rarely mentioned. Jack of all trades?? But with my current headphone and next headphone also likely to be the easy to drive sony mdr/z1r do i need to start saving for TT2? advice please. mk

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2018 at 7:41 PM Post #1,803 of 18,958
Oct 3, 2018 at 7:49 PM Post #1,804 of 18,958
Hi Relic, can you recommend a headphone resolving enough for the HMS or that gets most of the way there? Comfort is paramount. cheers mk

Oct 3, 2018 at 8:13 PM Post #1,805 of 18,958
Hi Relic, can you recommend a headphone resolving enough for the HMS or that gets most of the way there? Comfort is paramount. cheers mk

I think I have an idea of the sound signature you like so I might suggest the AEON (and not just because Rob loves them). There's also the Focal Clear or the LCD-i4. Not really cheap but these headphones / IEM have very good distortion characteristics and can be driven very well from the Hugo2. Of course, the journey of auditioning is best and highly recommended.

There are even better options but then the price gets very high and also added components would be necessary for something like a Stax rig, or much more difficult to drive headphones.

Edit: You may want to check out the ETHER Flow 2 headphone just announced as well.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/ether-2-impressions-and-discussion.890282/

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2018 at 8:15 PM Post #1,806 of 18,958
I don't use an amp just hms into hugo2 into highly sensitive oppo pm1. Then again TT2 does have 3.5mm headphone and low gain an important point rarely mentioned. Jack of all trades?? But with my current headphone and next headphone also likely to be the easy to drive sony mdr/z1r do i need to start saving for TT2? advice please. mk

Hugo TT 2 seems like it'll be a jack of all trades, and master of all too. I personally can't speak for any Sony headphones but I'm sure others can.

While I'm not Relic, the Stax SR-009 and SR-009S are as resolving as it gets. For example, just throwing arbitrary numbers around but if I were to rate the improvement the Hugo 2 provides over the Mojo (JUST as a DAC, not an amp) with an Audeze LCD-4 + Mjolnir Audio Pure BiPolar amp, I'd put it at maybe 20% tops. But with the SR-009 + KGSSHV Carbon, more like 150%.

If electrostats are out of the question, and considering that you're using the Hugo 2's amp, then the Focal Utopia and presumably Clear are some of the most transparent non-electrostats and easy to drive.

That's a great question actually. If you are already using Hugo 2 + M Scaler, what benefits would the TT 2 provide if for both setups you are using the same amp? Aside from being able to use better interconnects.

And I'm just reposting this since I'm curious about the answer.

Oct 3, 2018 at 8:19 PM Post #1,807 of 18,958
And I'm just reposting this since I'm curious about the answer.

I imagine there would be some more dynamic punch as well with the super-capacitors. I'm VERY curious to read impressions/comparisons given the output stage is somewhat based off of the DX amps Rob is designing.

Oct 3, 2018 at 8:42 PM Post #1,808 of 18,958
Nice one Relic the Ether 2 at less than 300g with protein leather pads might just satisfy my comfort requirements especially the light weight. Mr Speakers are legendary and at 2K after selling my oppo pm1 is achievable but i would have to try first. I can't find the sensitivity rating but they are 16 ohms impedence so i can't tell how easy or hard to drive yet.

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2018 at 8:48 PM Post #1,809 of 18,958
What would be the best way to connect a Woo WEE to the TT 2? XLR to ??? plug?

Oct 3, 2018 at 8:51 PM Post #1,810 of 18,958
Nice one Relic the Ether 2 at less than 300g with protein leather pads might just satisfy my comfort requirements especially the light weight. Mr Speakers are legendary and at 2K after selling my oppo pm1 is achievable but i would have to try first. I can't find the sensitivity rating but they are 16 ohms impedence so i can't tell how easy or hard to drive yet.

I'd bet my DAVE the Hugo2 will drive them fine.

Oct 3, 2018 at 9:28 PM Post #1,811 of 18,958
I presume DAC mode on TT2 is a fixed volume shortcut like on the DAVE and nothing is bypassed. The single amplification stage is analogous to the line-out of other DACs, or one may call it the analogue stage of the DAC. As Rob said it’s not 4 seperate components in the output stage.

I might be wrong. However I thought I read that DAC mode bypasses the amplification stage in the Hugo TT 2. (Even still, the amplification stage I think was said to be only three components.)

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2018 at 9:36 PM Post #1,812 of 18,958
I might be wrong. However I thought I read that DAC mode bypasses the amplification stage in the Hugo TT 2. (Even still, the amplification stage I think was said to be only three components.)

The amplification is not by passed , it’s part of the dac. Same with Hugo and Dave

Oct 3, 2018 at 11:43 PM Post #1,813 of 18,958
Is there a reason you think the pm1 is not resolving enough Relic? I may add a Ether2 so i have 2 planars if funds allow later. Interested on your pm1 thoughts as it sounds stunning with h2/hms to me.

Oct 4, 2018 at 12:52 AM Post #1,814 of 18,958
Is there a reason you think the pm1 is not resolving enough Relic? I may add a Ether2 so i have 2 planars if funds allow later. Interested on your pm1 thoughts as it sounds stunning with h2/hms to me.

Well, I can’t say the PM-1 isn’t resolving enough but one word... distortion measurements:

https://www.innerfidelity.com/images/OppoPM1.pdf

Now, I obviously haven’t heard the ETHER Flow 2, but based on what I hear with the ETHER Flow (open) it is low in distortion and I like the frequency response (smooth yet detailed):

https://www.innerfidelity.com/images/MrSpeakersEtherFlow2016.pdf

The ETHER Flow’s distortion measurements are more linear while the PM-1 has a giant bump around 400Hz. Please don’t think I’m bashing the PM-1, it’s a popular headphone that many people enjoy, and it has a great bang for buck ratio, but I figure you might get a better upgrade from different headphones like the Flow 2 or the Focal Clear. I would suggest the Utopia and be done with it, but it’s quite a bit more money. Then again, you might hate the headphones I suggest so I would recommend auditioning if you can.

Oct 4, 2018 at 12:57 AM Post #1,815 of 18,958
Clear, utopia, aeon closed, ether flow open, all not comfortable for me. PM1 exceedingly comfortable but if the ether 2 on uk arrival is comfortable i might just go for it. It's that magic lower than 300g weight which is a big plus for me as it normally indicates comfort should be ok. My now sold beyers were about 290g. I also like leather/leather imitation pads and the ether2 has protein leather i think.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back