Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Oct 5, 2018 at 3:19 PM Post #1,831 of 19,009
How come yggy is mentioned time and again in this thread. Chord DACs are far more advanced than r2r. Yggy measured poorly. Google for amir m yggy and you would know. For me vocals are the best test for any dac . Chord dacs due to advanced filtering provide much more realistic and life like vocals than other DACs.

Oct 5, 2018 at 3:30 PM Post #1,832 of 19,009
Well, though it pains me to say it, I've sold my DAVE and am purchasing a Hugo TT2. I love the DAVE, but have to be honest with myself that my favourite headphones are hard to drive, and I'd never be able to afford a TOTL amp to go with DAVE, and be able to afford said hard to drive headphones, and keep the DAVE. I guess it was a trade off. Have DAVE, or have TT2 which can drive the headphones, and the headphones themselves. Really looking forward to hearing the TT2. I hope I don't loose too much in terms of SQ vs the DAVE.

Oct 5, 2018 at 3:34 PM Post #1,833 of 19,009
I drive hd650 and dt880 600ohm directly through mojo and Hugo 2 and still get plenty of volume range left. How come people say mojo and Hugo 2 can't drive these headphones to their full potential . In fact higher impedance is always an easier load otherwise people would happily buy 4ohm or even 2 ohm speakers instead of 8 ohm. Only thing is higher impedance requires more voltage for sufficient volume levels. In fact I would rather prefer higher impedance headphones with chord or even with any other dac to avoid too much attenuation as long as I am getting sufficient volume for day to day listening. Chord dac's extremely low output impedance removes any possibility of interaction with whatever impedance of the headphones. In fact due to extremely low output impedance of chord dac's the headphones are driven more correctly and if someone is not habitual of that, the sound of headphones may be a bit leaner not because dac has less power but because there are no side effects of higher output impedance of source.

Oct 5, 2018 at 3:39 PM Post #1,834 of 19,009
All dynamic drivers have variable impedance with respect to frequency. At some frequencies the impedance can go very low so if the source is not having enough low output impedance, it will not be able to drive the headphones correctly for all frequencies, some frequencies will have less output than others depending upon the impedance for that frequency and thus coloring the sound

Oct 5, 2018 at 3:42 PM Post #1,835 of 19,009
Well, though it pains me to say it, I've sold my DAVE and am purchasing a Hugo TT2. I love the DAVE, but have to be honest with myself that my favourite headphones are hard to drive, and I'd never be able to afford a TOTL amp to go with DAVE, and be able to afford said hard to drive headphones, and keep the DAVE. I guess it was a trade off. Have DAVE, or have TT2 which can drive the headphones, and the headphones themselves. Really looking forward to hearing the TT2. I hope I don't loose too much in terms of SQ vs the DAVE.

I'm interested in your findings when you get the TT2.

Oct 5, 2018 at 3:43 PM Post #1,836 of 19,009
It's such a shame that you have to sell your Dave to get the Hugo TT 2 just so you can drive your headphones, now I love Chord total respect for the company and of course Rob Watts but their is something wrong that you have to go from top of the range to middle of the range to drive your headphones, now I know this will be corrected with the Dave 2 but I really don't know why they never focused on this from the feedback from Hugo,such a shame mate, if only you waited we could of done a straight swap lol

Oct 5, 2018 at 3:47 PM Post #1,837 of 19,009
It's such a shame that you have to sell your Dave to get the Hugo TT 2 just so you can drive your headphones, now I love Chord total respect for the company and of course Rob Watts but their is something wrong that you have to go from top of the range to middle of the range to drive your headphones, now I know this will be corrected with the Dave 2 but I really don't know why they never focused on this from the feedback from Hugo,such a shame mate, if only you waited we could of done a straight swap lol

Haha. Well, I mean, its not Chords fault I can't afford an amp good enough to keep up with the DAVE. Moving down to the TT2 means I can afford my favourite headphones, and drive them at the same time. Life is all about compromises, I suppose :)

Oct 5, 2018 at 3:47 PM Post #1,838 of 19,009
Oct 5, 2018 at 3:49 PM Post #1,839 of 19,009
What headphones are you planning to pair with the TT2 that are so hard to drive ?

Oct 5, 2018 at 3:51 PM Post #1,840 of 19,009
Haha. Well, I mean, its not Chords fault I can't afford an amp good enough to keep up with the DAVE. Moving down to the TT2 means I can afford my favourite headphones, and drive them at the same time. Life is all about compromises, I suppose :)
Mate you obviously work hard and you achieved the top of the range dac, why should you compromise it's not right! Doesn't matter if you could afford a top of the line amp, me personally I think it adds distortion or colour.Welcome to the working class dac mate lol

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2018 at 3:55 PM Post #1,841 of 19,009
What headphones are you planning to pair with the TT2 that are so hard to drive ?

Susvara or HE6, Abyss AB-1266.

Mate you obviously work hard and you achieved the top of the range dac, why should you compromise it's not right! Doesn't matter if you could afford a top of the line amp, me personally I think it adds distortion or colour.Welcome to the working class dac mate lol

Well. I guess when I get the TT2 I'll start saving for DAVE2 in however many years it is and hope it is powerful, haha.

Oct 5, 2018 at 4:02 PM Post #1,842 of 19,009

Well. I guess when I get the TT2 I'll start saving for DAVE2 in however many years it is and hope it is powerful, haha.

I have the DAVE but have been curious about the TT2 since it was announced. I don't have difficult to drive headphones, and I listen at relatively quiet SPL. You could always keep the DAVE and wait for the DX amps to be released but that may be a ways off. I have no intention of selling my DAVE for the TT2 given the headphones I own, but I'm very curious to read real world impressions regardless.

Oct 5, 2018 at 4:10 PM Post #1,843 of 19,009

Very nice. i have not heard those, but curious about the Susvara and Abyss. I am awaiting to get my TT2. I have a Qutest now and love it, but I want balanced outs and more TAPS. Eventually I will also get the MScaler.

Oct 5, 2018 at 4:11 PM Post #1,844 of 19,009
I have the DAVE but have been curious about the TT2 since it was announced. I don't have difficult to drive headphones, and I listen at relatively quiet SPL. You could always keep the DAVE and wait for the DX amps to be released but that may be a ways off. I have no intention of selling my DAVE for the TT2 given the headphones I own, but I'm very curious to read real world impressions regardless.
Spl is very important to me as the Mrs has a loud voice and laugh

Oct 5, 2018 at 4:17 PM Post #1,845 of 19,009
Very nice. i have not heard those, but curious about the Susvara and Abyss. I am awaiting to get my TT2. I have a Qutest now and love it, but I want balanced outs and more TAPS. Eventually I will also get the MScaler.
I heard the abyss when it first came out, didn't like it at all but it was my original hugo driving it,loved the Audeze lcd x

Users who are viewing this thread

Back