Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Oct 5, 2018 at 4:40 PM Post #1,847 of 19,009
I heard the abyss when it first came out, didn't like it at all but it was my original hugo driving it,loved the Audeze lcd x
Yes, I have the LCD-X. Tons of fun, I use it mainly for Rock, EDM, dub-step , funk, anything that has good driving or deep bass and I want to feel it, but still get the nice mids and overall sound.

Oct 5, 2018 at 4:52 PM Post #1,848 of 19,009
Yes, I have the LCD-X. Tons of fun, I use it mainly for Rock, EDM, dub-step , funk, anything that has good driving or deep bass and I want to feel it, but still get the nice mids and overall sound.
I heard that many at hi-fi lounge, felt like I won the lottery, lcd x is sublime, same day heard the lcd xc Abyss, lcd 3 stax 009 that I absolutely hated,to be honest even through the Bryston headphone amp I was bitterly disappointed with most of them,.
A year after I went down to part ex gear for the Focal Utopia, Paul said have a listen to the focal Elear it's incredible, so imagine what the focal Utopia be like, I hated the focal Elear.I own the Mrspeakers Aeon open and they are by far the best headphones I've owned for enjoyment of music

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2018 at 7:36 PM Post #1,849 of 19,009
I have ATC Active 50's and am trying to work out whether they will get on with the TT2 going into them as a pre-amp.

The specs. of the 50's are:
Input Sensitivity:1V
Input Impedance: >10k ohms balanced XLR

From memory, I think via XLR, the 50's work optimally with 2V output or less. And low output impedance.

Does anyone know if this will be achievable with the TT2. Maybe the Benchmark HGC3 - with their passive attenuators - is the way to go to achieve optimal matching ?

Any comments would be appreciated.

Oct 5, 2018 at 8:31 PM Post #1,850 of 19,009
Upgrade kit? I thought it was completely new?if they bring out the aeon open 2 will mine be able to be upgraded?Also can I buy the vivo cable separately?I've emailed Paul from hi-fi lounge, see if I can part ex my dum cable and the original cable for the vivo cable, it's 299 dollars so that's just over 200 pounds I think I'll check lol

Sorry to confuse. I received email for the Ether 1.1 upgrade. Ether 2 and TT 2 in the same year is not happening.

Based on following the mScaler thread I will be listening to the VOCE and the Ether 2 at London CanJam. From there decide which gives greater jump headphones or the mScaler.

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2018 at 12:02 AM Post #1,851 of 19,009
I have ATC Active 50's and am trying to work out whether they will get on with the TT2 going into them as a pre-amp.

From memory, I think via XLR, the 50's work optimally with 2V output or less. And low output impedance.

Does anyone know if this will be achievable with the TT2. Maybe the Benchmark HGC3 - with their passive attenuators - is the way to go to achieve optimal matching ?

TT2 alone will do because there is a built-in volume control. The output impedance of TT2 is 0.042Ω, based on the general guideline, the load (input impedance) should be 20x or more, i.e. 10k ohms > 0.042Ωx20 = 0.84Ω.

Oct 6, 2018 at 12:09 AM Post #1,852 of 19,009
I heard the abyss when it first came out, didn't like it at all but it was my original hugo driving it,loved the Audeze lcd x

abyss phi is in another league from the lcd-x

Oct 6, 2018 at 1:45 AM Post #1,853 of 19,009

Hi Scotty,

I currently use my active 40’s with a TT, and it’s a wonderful combination. However, I use the RCA outputs not XLR. Rob Watts in a thread ages ago, suggested the RCA’s sounded better. That’s the route I took along with a number of other ATC active users on different forums.

That said, the dealer I use (The Audio Barn) uses the XLR’s. Is there a difference in SQ, I’m not sure, as never made the direct comparison. I need to borrow some XLR cables of the same make etc and compare.

When the TT2 is in the wild, have a listen with the 50’s. The combination I’m sure will sound wonderful.

I’m now just waiting on my TT2 and M-Scaler to arrive.

Oct 6, 2018 at 3:20 AM Post #1,854 of 19,009

A friend of mine recently bought the ATC SCM40A actives and I took over my Dave to him to try going direct into the speakers. We only tried XLR out from the Dave but it was a VERY VERY good combination. As you do not need the extra power of the TT2 for the actives have you thought about picking up a second hand Dave instead?

However if you do get a TT2 I would have thought it would work very well with the ATC SCM50A.

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2018 at 5:27 AM Post #1,855 of 19,009
Hi Scotty,

I currently use my active 40’s with a TT, and it’s a wonderful combination. However, I use the RCA outputs not XLR. Rob Watts in a thread ages ago, suggested the RCA’s sounded better. That’s the route I took along with a number of other ATC active users on different forums.

That said, the dealer I use (The Audio Barn) uses the XLR’s. Is there a difference in SQ, I’m not sure, as never made the direct comparison. I need to borrow some XLR cables of the same make etc and compare.

When the TT2 is in the wild, have a listen with the 50’s. The combination I’m sure will sound wonderful.

I’m now just waiting on my TT2 and M-Scaler to arrive.

ATC have only XLR input, it's better to let the source do the conversion.

Oct 6, 2018 at 11:18 AM Post #1,857 of 19,009

I have ATC SCM50A Towers with the Anniversary amp pack. They sound utterly magnificent with my DAVE (using balanced cables). I previously had SCM25A pros - a kind of studio near field monitor version of the 40As - and used them balanced with the earlier Hugo TT and before then unbalanced with a Hugo. They sounded magnificent. I would not have any worries whatsoever about a TT2 and active ATCs, apart from the fact you will have one of the best, most musically credible and enjoyable systems on the planet. All the high output from the TT2 means is that the full output of the TT2 will overdrive the speakers, but that’s what the volume control is for.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back