Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Nov 1, 2019 at 4:26 PM Post #7,668 of 18,907
Wow. You like it cold.

"The basic level of warmth required for a healthy and well-dressed person is 18°C. This standard is recognized by the World Health Organization and is the minimum standard in the latest UK cold weather plan.

Here are some basic benchmarks for indoor temperatures:
18-21°C - comfortable temperature
18°C - minimum for comfort
12-16°C - respiratory risk"

Nov 1, 2019 at 4:33 PM Post #7,669 of 18,907
Wow. You like it cold.

"The basic level of warmth required for a healthy and well-dressed person is 18°C. This standard is recognized by the World Health Organization and is the minimum standard in the latest UK cold weather plan.

Here are some basic benchmarks for indoor temperatures:
18-21°C - comfortable temperature
18°C - minimum for comfort
12-16°C - respiratory risk"

we invented cloth therefore we can safely live outside of the Great Britain.

Nov 1, 2019 at 4:40 PM Post #7,670 of 18,907
we invented cloth therefore we can safely live outside of the Great Britain.
I can understand that, but I feel uncomfortable below 18-20C at home. One would think if you can afford high-end DACs you can afford heating as well. Obviously your reasons to live between 12-15C are not financial. Forgive me, but this made me really curious.

Nov 1, 2019 at 4:51 PM Post #7,671 of 18,907
I can understand that, but I feel uncomfortable below 18-20C at home. One would think if you can afford high-end DACs you can afford heating as well. Obviously your reasons to live between 12-15C are not financial. Forgive me, but this made me really curious.

You are a sissy. Every night before I go to sleep I air my bedroom to cool it.

Nov 1, 2019 at 4:52 PM Post #7,672 of 18,907
i wasn't expecting such a low temperature.
One of the normal Chord design principles, is to use the case as a heatsink for the internal FPGA, so that it is normal for some areas of the case to feel warm.
From a heat transfer point of view, this heat transfer needs a certain temperature delta (T case - T ambient), so if T ambient rises, then the T case will also rise by the same amount.
Certainly on the Mojo thread, the instances where owners experienced thermal shutdown problems, were mainly concentrated to areas of the world where climate/season meant that the local ambient was relatively high (eg Dubai, Singapore). However 12 to 15C is low, even for the UK, so I feel a bit uncomfortable that you are experiencing such high temperatures on your TT2.

My advice is to email Chord support so seek advice, just in case you do have a problem with your TT2 internal components.

Nov 1, 2019 at 5:00 PM Post #7,675 of 18,907
would you say the improvement is obvious? (Plastic vs mavros)

For now in my system with tt2 i find it very hard to distinguish between usb and optic (cheap one)
Yes i use my optical from my LG oled to Hugo2. I did go back to the supra optical just to hear the difference. I had been using the mavros for months before going back to supra. The supra sounds more veiled/muffled and warmer. The mavros sounds more realistic with movies and tv series streamed from netflix,hbo its more clarity the downside can be its not as forgiving to lower bitrate content/ porer recordings as its brighter. But i prefer the more realistic sound of the mavros.

Nov 1, 2019 at 5:15 PM Post #7,677 of 18,907
Scamp was a now discontinued amplifier from the Chordette range, which was the same range as the 2Qute dac
I may give it a try this weekend, but obviously this thing does not even have much more power than the TT2 direct to speakers. What surprised me was how small it is, around the size of a Qutest, but the box it comes in lead me to believe it might be the size of the Dave, but no.

Nov 1, 2019 at 5:25 PM Post #7,678 of 18,907
I may give it a try this weekend, but obviously this thing does not even have much more power than the TT2 direct to speakers. What surprised me was how small it is, around the size of a Qutest, but the box it comes in lead me to believe it might be the size of the Dave, but no.
Yes, give it a go, because you have nothing to lose.
I was surprised when I discovered that my Hugo could drive my Focal Aria 936 floorstanding speakers.
Go back a few decades and many DIY amps needed only 2W to drive speakers, so do keep an open mind.
If you do find that SCAMP works for you, then that is a bonus.
Good luck with your tests. :slight_smile:

Nov 1, 2019 at 7:51 PM Post #7,679 of 18,907
I tried the wifi usbdongle for the first time with my streamer that is feeding hugo2 with spdif and an external HP amp with rca out. Somehow The top end brightness,harshness and sibilance i was hearing got gone. Now i can play it louder with more reward.

Maybe there was rfi/emi creeping in to system from generic cat 5 ethernet cable from router side that is powered by a cheap generic power strip. All my good hifi gear, TV and Apple TV4K is powered by AudioQuest niagara1000 mains conditioner that reduces rfi/emi. So cutting the link to the dirty power side maybe helped me from harshness and brightness that i heard.

This may be usefull to TT2 users to try wifi instead of wired ethernet cable for the source feeding TT2. This proves to me that packages and bits isent just all packages and bits and will always sound the same. I think i will skip uppgrading ethernet cable because wifi may sounds best for my streamer.

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2019 at 10:21 PM Post #7,680 of 18,907

Ok let me satisfy your curiosity. As i am live and born in a third world country, i find the cold room temperature keeps me vigilant and sober against the constant global capitalism propaganda. While also make me enjoy the irony of this post-colonial totalitarian society’s dystopian atmosphere better than usual.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back