Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Oct 31, 2019 at 11:23 AM Post #7,637 of 18,895
Must admit I was a little concerned about the higher temperature when I owned a TT2 as well. Though I’m sure Rob has taken everything into account in terms of longevity of the components etc. By comparison the TT runs completely cool, but at some point I guess the batteries will need replacing. Everything has its pros and cons.
Found the datasheet for the Supercaps used in TT2 - Looks like anything above 65 degrees C the lifespan is drastically reduced:

https://www.eaton.com/content/dam/e...percapacitors-cylindrical-pack-data-sheet.pdf

My unit feels pretty hot on the surface, those super cap’s temperature definitely exceeded 65c

Oct 31, 2019 at 2:49 PM Post #7,639 of 18,895
I have a decision to make and would welcome any input you guys have...forgive me in advance if others have asked this, I didn't catch earlier in the thread:

I recently got a new M Scaler through a trade with another Head-fier. I've paired it with my Hugo2 and used that combo to feed my solid state HP amp which is the XI Audio Formula S. Although I appreciate the resolution of this setup, it can tilt towards thin and brittle with a lack of bass impact. I'm considering swapping out the Hugo2 and getting either a used DAVE or a new TT2 to use with the M Scaler. If I get the TT2 then presumably I would no longer need my existing amp. The question is whether the DAVE + M Scaler + amp would have a huge edge over the TT2 + M Scaler. Any opinions on that one?

Oct 31, 2019 at 2:55 PM Post #7,640 of 18,895
I have a decision to make and would welcome any input you guys have...forgive me in advance if others have asked this, I didn't catch earlier in the thread:

I recently got a new M Scaler through a trade with another Head-fier. I've paired it with my Hugo2 and used that combo to feed my solid state HP amp which is the XI Audio Formula S. Although I appreciate the resolution of this setup, it can tilt towards thin and brittle with a lack of bass impact. I'm considering swapping out the Hugo2 and getting either a used DAVE or a new TT2 to use with the M Scaler. If I get the TT2 then presumably I would no longer need my existing amp. The question is whether the DAVE + M Scaler + amp would have a huge edge over the TT2 + M Scaler. Any opinions on that one?
Depends on headphones. For most headphones you won't require amp even with Dave, but still imho tt2+HMS without amp is way to go without any second thought. Hd 650 with tt2 +HMS to me sounds heavenly in low gain mode. I don't require to go beyond -18L with hd650.

Oct 31, 2019 at 4:39 PM Post #7,642 of 18,895

I've spoken to a fair few folk and dealers over the last year and although they say that dave still has the edge, alot of them that are genuine and who are not trying to get you to buy something for the sake of buying it say that the difference between tt2 and dave isnt 4 grand of a difference.

Plus alot of folk seem to prefer the warmer tone to tt2 and it's oodles of power compared to a colder clinical dave that lacks punch.

But it's like every other hobby, it depends on how "into it" you are. And remember, dave is coming up for 5 years old. Stuff thats 5 years old should really be selling for half price unless it's like a soon to be classic car, which silicone chips and capacitors will never ever be. I mean, I've got drawers and cupboards full of some of intels first famous consumer chips that are the size of your palm and I can't even give them away.

TT2 and MScaler is Chords meal ticket for the next 3 years, as they've got great performance at a not too unreasonable price point.

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2019 at 4:44 PM Post #7,643 of 18,895
TT2 and MScaler is Chords meal ticket for the next 3 years, as they've got great performance at a not too unreasonable price point.
I agree with this sentiment. Adding that £7500 is still a pretty unreasonable price for most folks.

Oct 31, 2019 at 5:23 PM Post #7,644 of 18,895
I agree with this sentiment. Adding that £7500 is still a pretty unreasonable price for most folks.

Yes, but when I said unreasonable, I meant for a single device.

The package together, £7500 is a kick in the nuts, and I agree that it is a not so inconsiderable sum, but 4g for a TT2 or 3500 for an mscaler if you already have a chord dac, things start looking brighter.

But as I said, it's like every other hobby, it just depends on how deep one wants to go and, I'm not going to even say that chord charge crazy sums of money for their products, because they don't, they are actually cheaper than most highend dac manufacturers.

I still however think TT2 is the sweetspot in the chord line up and is probably their best seller at this moment in time.

Oct 31, 2019 at 5:36 PM Post #7,645 of 18,895
Yes, but when I said unreasonable, I meant for a single device.

The package together, £7500 is a kick in the nuts, and I agree that it is a not so inconsiderable sum, but 4g for a TT2 or 3500 for an mscaler if you already have a chord dac, things start looking brighter.

But as I said, it's like every other hobby, it just depends on how deep one wants to go and, I'm not going to even say that chord charge crazy sums of money for their products, because they don't, they are actually cheaper than most highend dac manufacturers.

I still however think TT2 is the sweetspot in the chord line up and is probably their best seller at this moment in time.
I agree with you.
I also think TT2 is the sweet spot of Chord value for price at the moment.
I also agree that with realistic sound and soundstage depth (3D) Chord undercuts the competition when it comes to price/performance in all respective price range.
Still, it is very expensive for most average folks who are into sound quality.

To my experience it is around 2-4K what an average audio enthusiast is willing to spend on a headphone system all together. That said I love Chord and keep up the good work! :) We are very lucky to have people like Rob in this hobby.

Oct 31, 2019 at 6:25 PM Post #7,646 of 18,895
Depends on headphones. For most headphones you won't require amp even with Dave, but still imho tt2+HMS without amp is way to go without any second thought. Hd 650 with tt2 +HMS to me sounds heavenly in low gain mode. I don't require to go beyond -18L with hd650.
Sorry, I should have mentioned that I am using the Abyss TC which thrives on ample power.

Oct 31, 2019 at 6:26 PM Post #7,647 of 18,895
When I visited my dealer the other day, he mentioned that he has a Chord “Scamp” sitting in his garage/storage. I had never even heard of this little amp, but I borrowed it out of curiosity. Problem is, I don’t really know what to do with it. Has anyone ever seen or heard of these?

Oct 31, 2019 at 6:29 PM Post #7,648 of 18,895
I agree with you.
I also think TT2 is the sweet spot of Chord value for price at the moment.
I also agree that with realistic sound and soundstage depth (3D) Chord undercuts the competition when it comes to price/performance in all respective price range.
Still, it is very expensive for most average folks who are into sound quality.

To my experience it is around 2-4K what an average audio enthusiast is willing to spend on a headphone system all together. That said I love Chord and keep up the good work! :) We are very lucky to have people like Rob in this hobby.
All good points. I'm seeing a few used Dave's go for under $7K which is still much more money than the TT2, but its getting closer. Anyway, I am leaning towards the TT2 for the reasons everyone has mentioned. Unfortunately I don't have the opportunity to do a direct comparison. I've seen at least one reviewer say that the Dave + HMS can be warmer than the TT2 + HMS. Who knows. And I will have access to a pretty beefy outboard hp amp too, to shore up the Dave. Decisions, decisions...

Oct 31, 2019 at 7:25 PM Post #7,649 of 18,895
decisions, decisions....

Oct 31, 2019 at 7:34 PM Post #7,650 of 18,895
Sorry, I should have mentioned that I am using the Abyss TC which thrives on ample power.

The TT2 drives the abyss pretty damn well that is what I am using currently. You will loose some transparency if you connect to an external amp. The TC is the ultimate in transparency for headphones too so it might be a wash in the end.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back