Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Apr 17, 2024 at 1:33 PM Post #18,886 of 18,905
Anyone tried Audiolab's 9000 CDT with the TT2? Also anyone tried the new HEDDphone 2 with TT2? Impressions?
@zappazappazappa I have tried both Audiolab 6000cdt and Nuprime cdt-8 pro. Both work great with a single remark that upsampling in case of TT2 has been better for me with M-Scaler than Nuprime which should not be surprising considering double bnc connection with M-Scaler. This does not applies to Audiolab since there is no upsampling. I have not heard system with 9000cdt in it. Hope that helps a bit.

Apr 22, 2024 at 3:37 PM Post #18,887 of 18,905
Apr 23, 2024 at 6:01 PM Post #18,890 of 18,905
Honest question, I only listen to Spotify is the TT2 over kill? I have a nice collection of headphones btw
It is never overkill, but from all streaming services, spotify sounds the worst (and I tried all of them). It has nothing to do with no lossless (because I have some mp3 files that sound fine).

It is just something spotify does with their compression. Just Try, deezer qobuz or tidal, and you’ll know what I mean.
Tidal is first month free and qobuz has similar deals I think

Apr 23, 2024 at 6:04 PM Post #18,891 of 18,905
It is never overkill, but from all streaming services, spotify sounds the worst (and I tried all of them). It has nothing to do with no lossless (because I have some mp3 files that sound fine).

It is just something spotify does with their compression. Just Try, deezer qobuz or tidal, and you’ll know what I mean.
Tidal is first month free and qobuz has similar deals I think
OK I had qobuz and the user experience was horrible. The sound quality was good though 👌

Apr 24, 2024 at 1:01 AM Post #18,892 of 18,905
OK I had qobuz and the user experience was horrible. The sound quality was good though 👌
User experience is a whole different story, I agree. With almost all of them roon is almost a must have, or live with a lesser user experience.

Spotify wins regarding user experience from all of them, I agree totally. So now I use spotify for convience situations and qobuz for quality moments.

( and I think roon is not worth that extra money, should be most 3/4$ add on for the convience or at least sell it with some discount options for music services)

Apr 24, 2024 at 3:14 PM Post #18,893 of 18,905
Honest question, I only listen to Spotify is the TT2 over kill? I have a nice collection of headphones btw
Slightly off topic, but I mostly listen to friends who are DJs on a community radio station that streams at high bitrate. I have found that both Hugo2 and now TT2 are not overkill.
I did use Aeon Flow Closed headphones (bought blind based on Rob Watts posts that the distortion levels did not increase as the frequency reduced), but now use Focal Clear Mg headphones.
My opinion (others may disagree) is that one should focus on a low distortion source, and low distortion headphones/speakers.
I just wish that Chord gear, and good headphones/speakers had been available at a low price 30 years ago.
Yes, a bit unrealistic but I sense that many head-fiers would have been delighted with todays gear, 30 years ago.
:relaxed::wink:

Apr 24, 2024 at 3:52 PM Post #18,894 of 18,905
Slightly off topic, but I mostly listen to friends who are DJs on a community radio station that streams at high bitrate. I have found that both Hugo2 and now TT2 are not overkill.
I did use Aeon Flow Closed headphones (bought blind based on Rob Watts posts that the distortion levels did not increase as the frequency reduced), but now use Focal Clear Mg headphones.
My opinion (others may disagree) is that one should focus on a low distortion source, and low distortion headphones/speakers.
I just wish that Chord gear, and good headphones/speakers had been available at a low price 30 years ago.
Yes, a bit unrealistic but I sense that many head-fiers would have been delighted with todays gear, 30 years ago.
Yes that is completely unrealistic, FPGA tech was either not available, or cost-prohibitive back then, but I see what you mean.

Apr 25, 2024 at 12:53 AM Post #18,895 of 18,905

And I wouldn’t have wasted so much time “listening” to low quality fisher price converters from other so called hifi brands.

Apr 26, 2024 at 6:20 PM Post #18,896 of 18,905
I have a TT2 and Holo red what is the best output from Holo to TT2 ? Usb or optical ?

Apr 26, 2024 at 6:58 PM Post #18,897 of 18,905
I have a TT2 and Holo red what is the best output from Holo to TT2 ? Usb or optical ?
I noticed an improvement when I switched from USB to TOSlink on my 2Go/2Yu. Of course, this limits the file resolution to 24/192.

Apr 27, 2024 at 3:47 AM Post #18,898 of 18,905
I noticed an improvement when I switched from USB to TOSlink on my 2Go/2Yu. Of course, this limits the file resolution to 24/192.
I noticed a difference between toslink and usb too, both sound good in it’s own way.

But difference propably is, with usb you use the tt2 clocks and with toslink the source clocking. In my situation of the tt2 neither was bad.

Most of the time when things get a little smoother it means better timing of the clocks (not always ofcourse, but it is a general rule)

Apr 27, 2024 at 11:27 AM Post #18,899 of 18,905
Almost ready to pull the trigger on the tt2 for an abyss Diana MR; do you guys think I should hook it to the xlr outputs or is the SE front output already driving them to their fullest potential? More generally what do you guys think of the association of the tt2 with Diana mr for metal specifically?
Edit : what about using it with very sensitive iems like andromedas on the front 3.5, is it whisper silent and is the gain not too high?

I would not get Diana's for metal. My HD600's with the TT2 sound infinitely better for metal/metalcore/rock than the Dianas ever did.

However for more mellow music with less impact (classical/soundtracks, pop, jazz, vocal music), the combo does sound truly amazing. The Dianas to me with the TT2 always sounded amazing if you found a song that matched it's strengths, but metal/rock just sounds metallic/tinny with next to no slam or impact and unfortunately that is mostly what I listen to.

Apr 27, 2024 at 11:29 AM Post #18,900 of 18,905

Not overkill, but you can always "do better" if you want to (buy music files and use proper music software like audirvana/roon)

Almost ready to pull the trigger on the tt2 for an abyss Diana MR; do you guys think I should hook it to the xlr outputs or is the SE front output already driving them to their fullest potential? More generally what do you guys think of the association of the tt2 with Diana mr for metal specifically?
Edit : what about using it with very sensitive iems like andromedas on the front 3.5, is it whisper silent and is the gain not too high?

Personally, there is always a special synergy between TT2 and all version of Abyss Diana. Sublime combination!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back