Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Oct 30, 2019 at 3:24 PM Post #7,621 of 18,895
YAY!!!!!!
I’m sure my wallet isn’t saying the same! :wink:
OK, I’ve been a bit daft, and bought the HMS ‘blind’ without listening to it first. I just hope it lives up to my expectations? It seems an awful lot to pay for (literally) a ‘black box’, especially when my TT2 sounds so good.
But I’m willing to keep an open mind. As a current/past owner of Hugo, TT1 & now TT2, I’ve got faith in Rob. I’ll always remember the first nights I spent listening to Hugo when I first got,it. Bliss!
I just hope my faith in HMS will be suitably rewarded...

Oct 30, 2019 at 4:27 PM Post #7,622 of 18,895
kelly i have not heard it nor tt2, but man just putting a world class server on tt did it for me, I'm sure you will freak with scaler and tt2. Im getting got off this ride, but excited to see others on it.

Oct 30, 2019 at 6:20 PM Post #7,623 of 18,895
73F1A355-F34D-4A9A-A722-45BD33D650E9.jpeg
960B6468-ECEA-4D99-9D45-1EB5AFECFF0E.jpeg

Oct 30, 2019 at 6:23 PM Post #7,624 of 18,895
Here is the JL D110 just plopped down between the speakers, sorry for the quality of the photos. TT2 on the rack, RCA to sub, XLR to speakers.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2019 at 9:22 PM Post #7,626 of 18,895
some update on the remote issue

I went to the dealer to get my replacement tt2 today

Decided to try it out right there, out of the box the remote is not working. Try a little bit more, it start to work but same old issue not responding 1 out 5 time.

Dealer got a sliver tt2 demo unit, try the same remote on that one. (Operating 2 tt2 with one remote )

Guess what, both tt2 being responsive and unresponsive to the remote simultaneously. (If one doesn’t work the other is not working as well, when one fix itself somehow the other back to normal immediately)

Dealer is shocked whip out the remote for the demo unit( which was never used)

Now i got two remote on my both hand call it dual wielding if you want. (Both remote is powered by brand new batteries)

Some of you if still reading here probably think its a broken remote i had on one of my hand.

Nope, if both tt 2 is not responding to one of the remote, the other will not work as well.

I filmed this weird newly found remote-failure quantum entanglement phenomenon and send it to chord support hopefully there will be a solution to the mystery.

Counting the tt2 i send it back to the national dealer, there are three tt2 that demonstrated this phenomenon, according to the national dealer the one i send in just went dead from the continues testing.

If anybody is curious why i am so obsessed with remote, because i need to switch input from time to time and remote is the best way to do it. According to the chord staff tt2 share the same remote circuits and design as hugo2. I always use remote with my previously owned hugo2 it was swift like lightning. So there is probably some issue with the fpga or something else. I am pretty sure there is no radio interference in the dealer’s shop( its packed with hi-end dac&amp), and i put my tt2 where i used to put my hugo2.

If any body wants to try out your remote, here is what i did to trigger the issue: just keep using it.

Sorry you're having this problem. I am able to bounce mine off wall, which is how I use it when it's on my nightstand. So when it works, it works. Stay on 'em.

Oct 30, 2019 at 11:15 PM Post #7,627 of 18,895
Sorry you're having this problem. I am able to bounce mine off wall, which is how I use it when it's on my nightstand. So when it works, it works. Stay on 'em.

When it works i can get it bounce off wall as well , I suspect it’s a batch of bad fpga in the tt2.
Those tt2 runs pretty hot as well 44~50c ish on the surface above the super cap. Probably the issue is related to the core of the tt2 rather than something trivial like remote Controller itself. May be chord has been pushing this 4year old fpga too far.

Oct 30, 2019 at 11:49 PM Post #7,628 of 18,895
My atlas mavros optical lifts the veil compared to my supra optical with hugo 2 making it sound highly realistic sound when streaming netflix movies and tv series sounds like your there almost. Has lower jitter then cheap ones.

The only complaint i can have is that the connectors are slightly to big becsuse i have to use alittle force to press it in in my hugo2 my supra optical clicks in easy.

https://www.futureshop.co.uk/atlas-mavros-toslink-glass-digital-optical-audio-cable#reviews

This guy says in his reviews the mavros is almost as good as the much more expensive aq diamond. He have compared some different ones.

https://www.futureshop.co.uk/audioquest-diamond-digital-optical-cable#reviews

would you say the improvement is obvious? (Plastic vs mavros)

For now in my system with tt2 i find it very hard to distinguish between usb and optic (cheap one)

Oct 31, 2019 at 4:33 AM Post #7,629 of 18,895
OK, I’ve been a bit daft, and bought the HMS ‘blind’ without listening to it first. I just hope it lives up to my expectations? It seems an awful lot to pay for (literally) a ‘black box’, especially when my TT2 sounds so good.
But I’m willing to keep an open mind. As a current/past owner of Hugo, TT1 & now TT2, I’ve got faith in Rob. I’ll always remember the first nights I spent listening to Hugo when I first got,it. Bliss!
Even getting a demo may not be enough. I think my brain is still adjusting to it after nearly a year. I keep getting these new insights into the music, the more you concentrate, the more subtleties come through.

Oct 31, 2019 at 5:57 AM Post #7,630 of 18,895
Even getting a demo may not be enough. I think my brain is still adjusting to it after nearly a year. I keep getting these new insights into the music, the more you concentrate, the more subtleties come through.
Yes, I thought that a demo probably wouldn't lend itself to showing its true properties.
Like with most upgrades at this level, it's often the subtleties that probably 'get you' after a while.

Oct 31, 2019 at 5:58 AM Post #7,631 of 18,895
kelly i have not heard it nor tt2, but man just putting a world class server on tt did it for me, I'm sure you will freak with scaler and tt2. Im getting got off this ride, but excited to see others on it.
Yes, this bloody 'hobby'!
I was going to 'stop' at TT1, which is still an absolutely awesome DAC. But here I am again, going back for more... :triportsad:

Oct 31, 2019 at 7:09 AM Post #7,632 of 18,895
When it works i can get it bounce off wall as well , I suspect it’s a batch of bad fpga in the tt2.
Those tt2 runs pretty hot as well 44~50c ish on the surface above the super cap. Probably the issue is related to the core of the tt2 rather than something trivial like remote Controller itself. May be chord has been pushing this 4year old fpga too far.

Must admit I was a little concerned about the higher temperature when I owned a TT2 as well. Though I’m sure Rob has taken everything into account in terms of longevity of the components etc. By comparison the TT runs completely cool, but at some point I guess the batteries will need replacing. Everything has its pros and cons.
Found the datasheet for the Supercaps used in TT2 - Looks like anything above 65 degrees C the lifespan is drastically reduced:

https://www.eaton.com/content/dam/e...percapacitors-cylindrical-pack-data-sheet.pdf

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2019 at 7:18 AM Post #7,633 of 18,895
Yes, this bloody 'hobby'!
I was going to 'stop' at TT1, which is still an absolutely awesome DAC. But here I am again, going back for more... :triportsad:

Best way to remain happy with what you have is to stay off the forums - easier said than done! :wink:

I’m struggling with upgraditis too. My options are 1) go back and try a third TT2, or 2) ‘sidegrade’ back to DAC3 HGC - those analogue inputs are a real plus as I’m trying to reduce box count and cabling, and simplify. Sometimes the performance compromise (going from Rob’s fpga to a more standard design) is worth it for a design with the connections one personally needs (I haven’t sworn off vinyl yet and have an external phono stage I’m building). Have owned a DAC3 before and whilst it misses out on that beguiling midrange ‘hear through’ ability of TT, it’s no sloach. The third and more drastic option is to sell my turntable and phono stage, sell the TT and look for a used Dave at £5K. I’m actually very content with TT and preferred it overall to TT2 (which was more ruthless at exposing poor recordings/masterings, whereas the TT was more ‘euphonic’ and forgiving in direct comparison), but with vinyl in the equation too I do like the simplicity of going back to a DAC3 to avoid having to get an extra pre-amp.

Whatever I buy I’ll be wanting the one I didn’t get!!

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2019 at 9:01 AM Post #7,634 of 18,895

You have a wallet ? It's good to hear you are joining the TT2+HMS club, but I would of thought you used a purse.

But I'm glad nonetheless, hope you love the mscaler when it arrives.

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2019 at 9:09 AM Post #7,635 of 18,895
Must admit I was a little concerned about the higher temperature when I owned a TT2 as well. Though I’m sure Rob has taken everything into account in terms of longevity of the components etc. By comparison the TT runs completely cool, but at some point I guess the batteries will need replacing. Everything has its pros and cons.
Found the datasheet for the Supercaps used in TT2 - Looks like anything above 65 degrees C the lifespan is drastically reduced:

https://www.eaton.com/content/dam/e...percapacitors-cylindrical-pack-data-sheet.pdf

They are easily user replaceable once/if they go tits up, or to replace with higher temp longer lasting versions.

I've taken ir temps of TT2 which sits on top of the hotter mscaler and I've never seen the temp higher than 38oc - 42oC, thats on the hottest part of the case, different spots have different temps, in my case the headphone port area is the hottest area of my TT2.

I can't say for sure but apart from crazy hot days in summertime, other than those few days I think TT2 is pretty cool, unstacking them makes them even cooler, advised in summer time if one does not have AC in their home.

I will play tunes for a few hours and then see what temp the ir gun spits out. I have no idea how precise it will be but, if held at an angle, the ir temp gun laser that I have goes through tt2's window and is clearly visible on a couple of the super caps. It shall be interesting to see what temp they are.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back