Huge Comparison of [almost] all the Best Bluetooth Headphones - post your own comparisons here
Nov 7, 2016 at 8:05 PM Post #2,792 of 3,643
I was ready to pull the trigger and pickup the P7 wireless to compare with my Sennheiser momentum 2's until I read the 1 and 2 star reviews on Amazon. Just reading through the one and two star reviews there were @ 10 reports of having blown either the left or right speaker all within 6 months of owning them. I looked through every page on the P7 wireless thread here and couldn't find any mention of this. Have any of you P7 wireless owners had any issues with this?

Nov 8, 2016 at 1:16 AM Post #2,793 of 3,643
I understand how the B&W's may not be everyone's cup of tea, and their rectangular design does look rather different to your typical headphone design. I actually use my P7's almost exclusively inside and sat amongst my other hi-fi items I think they look quite nice, but if I were to use a pair outside of the home I think I would rather sport a more understated look, such as my Onkyo H500BT's or the B&O H7's you mentioned!

It seems the reviewer you added a link to favours a more forward sound signature with an emphasis on treble, whereas I prefer a warmer signature with a slightly elevated bass. From what I understood it appears he was referring to the wired version of the P7's in his review and he had only tested them briefly in store which along with his taste for a more forward sound might explain why he judged them so poorly. Apparently the wireless P7's are actually an improvement on the wired version too!

Excluding the 100ABN's which I've not had the opportunity to try, the others you mention all favour treble and as such have a more forward/attacking sound. The 1ABT's and H7's have the best sound quality and detail with the Sonys being a touch warmer and smoother, and having a more elevated bass to the H7's. The BBP's may not have quite the same level of detail to the others but they do have the same great staging and openness, and with ANC on they have a pretty good bass and a nice richness to them, however with ANC off they do sound a little flat and lifeless! Unfortunately the ANC does add quite a significant background hiss meaning you'll have to put up with this it you want the better sound!

They're actually all very comfy too but I'd have to give it to the Sony's in this regard!

Thank you SO much, you have no idea of how much you are helping me lol

Then I'll listen to the BBPro tomorrow and choose if keep them or go with the MDR-1ABT ^_^

Is there so much difference between loudness of H7 and MDR-1ABT? And are the H7 so much more portable when "folded"?

Nov 8, 2016 at 4:45 AM Post #2,794 of 3,643
I was ready to pull the trigger and pickup the P7 wireless to compare with my Sennheiser momentum 2's until I read the 1 and 2 star reviews on Amazon. Just reading through the one and two star reviews there were @ 10 reports of having blown either the left or right speaker all within 6 months of owning them. I looked through every page on the P7 wireless thread here and couldn't find any mention of this. Have any of you P7 wireless owners had any issues with this?

It's seems Amazon US has combined reviews for both the wireless and wired versions of the P7's. This would explain the large number of reviews despite the wireless version only being released in September! In comparison the Amazon UK store only has 10 reviews...all 5* I might add!

All the negative reviews on Amazon US appear to be referring to the wired version, either naming them "B&W P7" (not wireless), or saying they'd owned them 6 months or more.

The wireless version purportedly came with new advanced drivers which as well as improving sound quality have hopefully addressed the previous issues they've had with their wired version.

It's a shame this misinformation is potentially putting off prospective buyers who may unwittingly be missing out on one of the very best Bluetooth headphones around!

Nov 8, 2016 at 5:03 AM Post #2,795 of 3,643
It's seems Amazon US has combined reviews for both the wireless and wired versions of the P7's. This would explain the large number of reviews despite the wireless version only being released in September! In comparison the Amazon UK store only has 10 reviews...all 5* I might add!

All the negative reviews on Amazon US appear to be referring to the wired version, either naming them "B&W P7" (not wireless), or saying they'd owned them 6 months or more.

The wireless version purportedly came with new advanced drivers which as well as improving sound quality have hopefully addressed the previous issues they've had with their wired version.

It's a shame this misinformation is potentially putting off prospective buyers who may unwittingly be missing out on one of the very best Bluetooth headphones around!

Thanks for this. I hate when Amazon bundles products that aren't really the same. The only thing that should be bundled is the same product in different colors. Now the P7 wireless are at the top of my list. How's that sound signature? I like a nearly neutral headphone.

Nov 8, 2016 at 5:08 AM Post #2,796 of 3,643
Thank you SO much, you have no idea of how much you are helping me lol

Then I'll listen to the BBPro tomorrow and choose if keep them or go with the MDR-1ABT ^_^

Is there so much difference between loudness of H7 and MDR-1ABT? And are the H7 so much more portable when "folded"?

Hopefully you'll find the BBP's to your liking, especially as they're so much cheaper than the others! If not then personally I'd go with the 1ABT's as I found the H7's to be a bit too neutral and lacking in bass. They both sound great but the 1ABT's are a bit more characterful and more enjoyable in my opinion. You may find the H7's loud enough but I found them noticeably quieter than most of the others I've tested, but I guess it depends on the source? On my Google Nexus 10 they were way too quiet and on my IPhone 5c they could have done with at least another 30% volume!

I wasn't aware the H7's did fold?

Nov 8, 2016 at 6:41 AM Post #2,797 of 3,643
Thanks for this. I hate when Amazon bundles products that aren't really the same. The only thing that should be bundled is the same product in different colors. Now the P7 wireless are at the top of my list. How's that sound signature? I like a nearly neutral headphone.

I wouldn't describe them as neutral but they are well balanced, they have a lovely warmth and richness to them with an extended bass that doesn't eat into the mids and allows vocals to breath while giving them depth and realism! If any headphones were going to allow you to stray from a preferred neutral signature then these are the ones to do it! I'd strongly suggest you give them a try. Take advantage of B&W's 60 day trial period, there's no better judgement than that of yourself!

Nov 8, 2016 at 7:33 AM Post #2,798 of 3,643
I wouldn't describe them as neutral but they are well balanced, they have a lovely warmth and richness to them with an extended bass that doesn't eat into the mids and allows vocals to breath while giving them depth and realism! If any headphones were going to allow you to stray from a preferred neutral signature then these are the ones to do it! I'd strongly suggest you give them a try. Take advantage of B&W's 60 day trial period, there's no better judgement than that of yourself!
has anyone here tried parrot zik 3?

Nov 8, 2016 at 7:54 AM Post #2,799 of 3,643
has anyone here tried parrot zik 3?

I have tried and love the Zik 2.0, and as I understand it, the changes of the Zik 3.0 do not affect its sound. They include cord-free charging, more colors, and the ability to input digital signal directly to the headphones via a USB cord.

Nov 8, 2016 at 9:32 AM Post #2,802 of 3,643

Thank you!

Nov 11, 2016 at 11:52 PM Post #2,803 of 3,643
If you don't care about NC then the ones to beat at the moment are the Onkyo H500BT's and the B&W P7's. They sound almost identical with great detail and sound quality. The P7's have a touch more mid bass (barely anything in it) and slightly better staging. If you prefer a more portable headphone though and an On Ear design, then at less than half the price of the P7's the Onkyo's are an incredible buy!

That's interesting about them being sonically similar to the P7s, which I haven't heard. I wasn't really thrilled with the Onkyo. Plenty of bass (possibly more than I needed), but a little "sloppy" there, at least compared to what I felt where the "tighter" and better balanced JBL Everest Elite 300, which were also more open sounding on the top. Not that the Onkyos sounded bad by any means, but from the raves, I guess I expected better. I also really didn't like the Onkyo controls, i.e. sliding your finger up and down the outside to adjust the volume. I found the operation finicky, and I didn't like the mechanical sound of my finger rubbing along the outside of the headphone whenever I wanted to adjust volume. OTOH, they are decent sounding, and probably a bit more comfortable than the JBLs which seem a little tight for long-term listening sessions.

Nov 14, 2016 at 8:37 PM Post #2,804 of 3,643
So, today I had a chance to briefly audition the new wireless B&W P7.  I must say the Bluetooth sound is very impressive.  I agree with what others have reported here about the sound quality.  I found the bass and soundstage to be slightly but noticeably better than the Onkyo H500BT.  The P7 sound is lush and mellow and definitely warm--it was just right for my taste though I could see it might be too much for some. If you prefer a more neutral sound then the Onkyo's are better.  Then there's the value equation:  the P7 retails in the U.S. for $399 compared to $199 for the H500BT.  They are only slightly better sounding than the Onkyo's and definitely not as portable.  The P7 is very stylish though and they appear to have excellent build quality (the H500BT is well-built as well though).

I compared the headphones with these tracks:

Aqualung by Jethro Tull (40th Anniversary remaster)
Tundra by Amber Rubarth
Lost Woman by The James Gang
Angel by Massive Attack

All played directly from my iPhone 6s using Tidal HIFI quality.

P.S.

I also quickly compared the wireless P7 on Bluetooth to the previous wired P7 and the wireless P7 sounded much better (even streaming) than the previous one did (wired.) 

Nov 14, 2016 at 8:42 PM Post #2,805 of 3,643

That's interesting about them being sonically similar to the P7s, which I haven't heard. I wasn't really thrilled with the Onkyo. Plenty of bass (possibly more than I needed), but a little "sloppy" there, at least compared to what I felt where the "tighter" and better balanced JBL Everest Elite 300, which were also more open sounding on the top. Not that the Onkyos sounded bad by any means, but from the raves, I guess I expected better. I also really didn't like the Onkyo controls, i.e. sliding your finger up and down the outside to adjust the volume. I found the operation finicky, and I didn't like the mechanical sound of my finger rubbing along the outside of the headphone whenever I wanted to adjust volume. OTOH, they are decent sounding, and probably a bit more comfortable than the JBLs which seem a little tight for long-term listening sessions.

​I agree the controls on the side of right driver are "touchy" sometimes and "iffy" other times.  I mostly stick to my phone's controls because it's more reliable for me.  That said, I found that if I lightly tap I can easily get the headphone to pause and play and that if I approach the drive slowly with my hand I can slide up/down in one smooth motion to get the volume up or down (or slide left/right to skip back/forward).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back