Huge Comparison of [almost] all the Best Bluetooth Headphones - post your own comparisons here
Sep 29, 2015 at 9:17 AM Post #1,471 of 3,643
I like the AKG K845BT, about EUR 225 at amazon.de.  I'm a jazz/vocals/modern-classical/rock listener, and I think the headphones are well suited for that.  While they're not bass-shy, they do not have the super-powered bass people often want with more popular contemporary genres.

Sep 29, 2015 at 9:50 AM Post #1,472 of 3,643
I too love the AKG-845 BT. They are simple to use, sound very open like my beloved Grados, have excellent battery life, easily connect to the Bluetooth source even when you change it, and look great in the white that I have.

Sep 29, 2015 at 12:23 PM Post #1,473 of 3,643
  I like the AKG K845BT, about EUR 225 at amazon.de.  I'm a jazz/vocals/modern-classical/rock listener, and I think the headphones are well suited for that.  While they're not bass-shy, they do not have the super-powered bass people often want with more popular contemporary genres.

I too love the AKG-845 BT. They are simple to use, sound very open like my beloved Grados, have excellent battery life, easily connect to the Bluetooth source even when you change it, and look great in the white that I have.

Hi guys, I just signed up because you two happen to have mentioned one of the headphones I'm choosing between and I'm wondering if you could advise me.  I need a new pair of headphones as my JVC HA-RX900 broke a few weeks ago and I narrowed my list right down to the AKG K550, mainly because my priority is gaming and I want headphones with great soundstage in the <£150 price range.  I later stumbled across the K845BT and saw that it has a white model, which I would prefer over the black-only K550.  However, I can't seem to find much in the way of direct comparison information.  Do you have any idea how these two headphones compare?  The wireless feature would be a nice bonus but it's not my sole motivation.

FYI: I don't like open headphones and I already tried the Sennheiser HD 598, and I prefer over-ear.  I'm also just using onboard audio from my motherboard's speaker port at the moment, so my options are quite limited but the AKG K550 very much seems to fit the bill.

Thank you in advance!

Sep 29, 2015 at 12:56 PM Post #1,474 of 3,643

Hi guys, I just signed up because you two happen to have mentioned one of the headphones I'm choosing between and I'm wondering if you could advise me.  I need a new pair of headphones as my JVC HA-RX900 broke a few weeks ago and I narrowed my list right down to the AKG K550, mainly because my priority is gaming and I want headphones with great soundstage in the <£150 price range.  I later stumbled across the K845BT and saw that it has a white model, which I would prefer over the black-only K550.  However, I can't seem to find much in the way of direct comparison information.  Do you have any idea how these two headphones compare?  The wireless feature would be a nice bonus but it's not my sole motivation.

FYI: I don't like open headphones and I already tried the Sennheiser HD 598, and I prefer over-ear.  I'm also just using onboard audio from my motherboard's speaker port at the moment, so my options are quite limited but the AKG K550 very much seems to fit the bill.

Thank you in advance!

The AKG K845BT is said to be very close in sound to the K550 (and indeed based on the K550), the main difference being that K845BT is wireless/bluetooth (and apparently, also comes in white!).  Generally folks find that bluetooth headphones do not sound quite as good as wired headphones.  However, folks have compared the K845BT using it wireless and using it wired (you can do both) and found that they are much closer in quality than many BT headphones wired vs wireless (e.g., the Parrot Zik, which sounds great wireless but, surprisingly, horrid wired!).  Also, the AKG K845BT has AptX capability, which is the highest quality BT format. but only works if your source also sends in AptX (iPhones do NOT!).  That AptX is not advertised on the one-page feature list of the AKG K845BT, but it is there, as indicated by some more detailed literature from AKG on the headphone.

I am not familiar with the JVC HA-RX900, so I'm afraid I cannot make any comments about it.

Sep 30, 2015 at 9:42 AM Post #1,475 of 3,643
Originally Posted by topr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I narrowed my list right down to the AKG K550, mainly because my priority is gaming and I want headphones with great soundstage in the <£150 price range.  I later stumbled across the K845BT and saw that it has a white model, which I would prefer over the black-only K550.  However, I can't seem to find much in the way of direct comparison information.  Do you have any idea how these two headphones compare?  The wireless feature would be a nice bonus but it's not my sole motivation.

I have the K550, K845BT, and K551.

If you want a white K550, then look at the K551. Exact same sonics and sensitivity, different cable, does come in white.  (However IME the K551 cable is so lightweight that it won't stay where I put it - I find it quite annoying.)

Re K845BT vs K550, the sonics have a very close family resemblance. The K845BT rolls off the highest of the highs a little, and adds some extra body in the midbass.  I'm not sensitive enough to gaming soundstage to make a useful comparison for you on that.

The K845BT can run wired as well as wireless, and comes with a cable for this purpose.  Cabled to a MacBook Pro it sounds a little better than it does wireless, but the difference is so small that I never do this.  Cabled to a proper amp & DAC it sounds a little bit better than that, but I don't think it scales up to tremendously greater heights than its wireless self.  In wired mode it is substantially less sensitive than K550/K551, requiring more voltage swing to reach the same subjective volume, and while it will go to a very reasonable volume straight out of my laptop, if you ever want to turn it way up during a quiet passage (or to hear enemy footsteps...whatever), you'll have less headroom to do that with the 845BT than with the 550/551.

Sep 30, 2015 at 9:42 AM Post #1,476 of 3,643
Still trying out various aptX headphones and I'm not adverse to trying some budget ones since I landed a gem in the form of the iFrogz Coda Forte w/50% off sale a while back. Came across the PChero V8-3 on AMZN during my search and was hoping I might have landed a decent one but alas, just too many issues. Here's a quick unboxing and mini-review:

tldr (or tldw);

PRO's
- budget friendly
- plastic, while cheap feeling, doesn't creak
- styling (subjective), basically a ATH-M50X clone...
- can be charged while using

CON's
- buttons are an unmitigated disaster, too small and nearly non-existent tactile/haptic feedback, delays when using FW/REW buttons exacerbates the issue
- overpowering bass but especially mid's that drowns out the actually decent treble
- couldn't get aptX confirmation with my Azio dongle
- poor BT range (started disconnecting at ~10ft)
- middling mic performance; while I could hear the person I'm calling quite well, they mentioned that I sounded muffled & distant
- lacks headphone port to use passively; unlike the FSL 360 (which also lacks a headphone jack) that can be used passively via USB cable, this one can't

Ultimately these are going back. Just a PSA for those who might be tempted (like I was) by the styling. The search continues...

Sep 30, 2015 at 9:44 AM Post #1,477 of 3,643
@topr When I was looking at the AKG I did read a few comparisons between the k845bt and the k550. Can't remember what was said exactly but there are some differences between them in terms of sound. From memory the k845bt has more bass and the treble is slightly more rolled off than the k550. In that way the k550 can be said to be more neutral and analytical than that the k845bt. This thread seems to have a few good comparisons between them, even though it is actually comparing the k845bt to the Logitech UE 9000.

Sep 30, 2015 at 12:14 PM Post #1,478 of 3,643
  I have the K550, K845BT, and K551.

If you want a white K550, then look at the K551. Exact same sonics and sensitivity, different cable, does come in white.  (However IME the K551 cable is so lightweight that it won't stay where I put it - I find it quite annoying.)

@topr When I was looking at the AKG I did read a few comparisons between the k845bt and the k550. Can't remember what was said exactly but there are some differences between them in terms of sound. From memory the k845bt has more bass and the treble is slightly more rolled off than the k550. In that way the k550 can be said to be more neutral and analytical than that the k845bt. This thread seems to have a few good comparisons between them, even though it is actually comparing the k845bt to the Logitech UE 9000.

Thank you both.  I did look at the K551 previously, however it seems to be very hard to find, and even more so new (this is especially so for the white model).  From your descriptions I might possibly prefer the K550 but I really can't decide without trying for myself.  I've managed to locate an ex-display pair of K550's at a local Richer Sounds shop and they have agreed to let me give them a try tomorrow, so hopefully I can make a more informed decision afterwards.

My first and foremost uses for headphones are single-player gaming and TV / films.  I don't game competitively at all.

I'm sure there are very nice headphones further up the chain but I really can't afford to go beyond £150, and that's a stretch.

May I ask your recommendations for headphones given my above requirements?  Thank you again for your input.

Sep 30, 2015 at 12:24 PM Post #1,479 of 3,643
Sep 30, 2015 at 12:35 PM Post #1,480 of 3,643
  how about the new pendulmic tach1 any news about it

I suggest waiting for news out of RMAF.  When I heard it at CanJam London - just over a month ago - it was still a prototype with non-final sound.  They said at that point that the sound was not at the level they were aiming for.  They said that their target was close to the sound of the Stance S1+ (which I think is very good), and to my ears they had a way still to go. 

Sep 30, 2015 at 1:11 PM Post #1,481 of 3,643

Thank you both.  I did look at the K551 previously, however it seems to be very hard to find, and even more so new (this is especially so for the white model).  From your descriptions I might possibly prefer the K550 but I really can't decide without trying for myself.  I've managed to locate an ex-display pair of K550's at a local Richer Sounds shop and they have agreed to let me give them a try tomorrow, so hopefully I can make a more informed decision afterwards.

My first and foremost uses for headphones are single-player gaming and TV / films.  I don't game competitively at all.

I'm sure there are very nice headphones further up the chain but I really can't afford to go beyond £150, and that's a stretch.

May I ask your recommendations for headphones given my above requirements?  Thank you again for your input.

What headphones do you use currently and what sort of sound signature do you prefer? For gaming and TV would you prefer to hear things like big explosions or clearer speech and enemy footsteps (thank you @episiarch
biggrin.gif
)? Easier to give suggestions if we know your preferences. And the ultimate question for k550 vs k845bt is if you bought a wireless headphone would you actually use it wirelessly or just connect it with a cable? If you think you'll just connect it wired due to being annoyed at having to constantly charge the headphones after 8 hours then it might be better to get the wired model (and possibly save some money).

As episiarch said the k550 will be clearer and louder for quiet scenes and when enemies are trying to sneak up on you. The k845bt will give you more rumble for things like explosions though not as much as other more bassy headphones. If you can get the k845bt under £150 that is a pretty good deal. Last time I checked the k551 was available on Amazon UK though it's not actually as white as the white k845bt (the padding seems to be grey).

Sep 30, 2015 at 2:09 PM Post #1,482 of 3,643
I don't currently use any headphones as my JVC HA-RX900's recently broke.  With regards to sound signature, please understand that I'm strictly amateur when it comes to the nitty gritty so I apologise if I don't provide the right information.  I like headphones that create clear and accurate sound and give a sense of fullness and presence at varying volumes, sometimes quite high.  I like the sound to seem like it's actually there instead of feeling distant and just coming from two cans sitting on my ears.

I tried the Sennheiser HD 598's for a few days and the sound quality and soundstage was fantastic but I really didn't like the open-back nature which allowed the large amounts of noise coming from around me to intrude upon what I was trying to listen to.  I also found the 598's a little... boring (?)... to be honest.  I could definitely detect bass but it wasn't very powerful at all, so I would like at least a little bit of impact - although I'm certainly not a 'basshead'.

I've listened to a fair few pairs of 'cheap' headphones, including some gaming headphones, the most recent one being the 'SteelSeries Siberia V2 USB' headset.  Music sounded good but voices sounded tinny and awful, which is exactly the sort of thing I hate.  I know you guys don't like to talk about gaming headsets here.

Basically I'd like headphones where the sound doesn't just seem like it's just 'there' (like how I felt about the 598's), but actually provides immersion through clarity, soundstage, body, and isolation.  I guess I'm pretty much describing the holy grail of headphones here, but I'd hope there's something that at least comes close.  The AKG K550's do look like a great option all round, and it was the high praise for soundstage that set my sights on them but I'm willing to consider other options.

Sep 30, 2015 at 5:31 PM Post #1,483 of 3,643
@topr 

Try the Plantronics Backbeat Pro. I have been using them for 2 weeks. I like them a lot. I use them with Saturn Pro that supports APTX low latency. I'm trying to find a different Bluetooth adapter that supports mics.

Oct 1, 2015 at 3:05 AM Post #1,484 of 3,643
@topr You should definitely listen to the AKG before buying it. They aren't known for having an exciting sound. If you thought the HD 598 was boring sounding you may feel the same about the AKG. Bass is very mild on the K550 and not too much stronger on the k845bt. It's there when it needs to be but you won't really notice it normally. I can't really give you many suggestions as most of what I've been looking at recently are beyond your budget but if you are after wireless just for gaming and tv have you considered the RS 175? It is basically right on your budget and designed to be used for watching movies at home. Has a mode for boosting bass if you want more bass power as well. Not remotely portable though if that is a need for you at all. The thread here is pretty informative.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back