Huge Comparison of [almost] all the Best Bluetooth Headphones - post your own comparisons here
Jul 25, 2015 at 7:22 PM Post #1,306 of 3,643
Five and a half centimeters? My handy-dandy calculator tells me that is only a little over 2 inches. That sounds really small for ears, ---at least around my family and friends.
I think my ears have always been about the same size, (but perhaps my head has elongated over the years), ha ha. Anyway, looking in the mirror, if I angle it so the top of my ears line up with my eyebrows, then the bottom of my ears line up with my mouth.
I just measured it with a vernier caliper and find my ears to be a wee bit over three inches tall. Again to the calculator, it converts to roughly 80 millimeters or 8 centimeters.
Not meaning any racial aspersions, it's just an opinion, I think a lot of these headphones, as with other electronics we are getting now, are made in the orient. Oriental heads (and therefore their ears as well), are much smaller than ours in the west.
My ears will squish up a little (the bottom lobes) so I I had headphones that were at least 3 inches inside height, I could live with them, Surely there are some headphone makers who make headsets for Americans and/or older people who have larger ears. If not, I think they are missing out on a huge market.

Dan²M

Jul 27, 2015 at 7:43 AM Post #1,309 of 3,643
I wrote my opinion on a few bluetooth headphones with ANC I've owned/borrowed in the following thread; http://www.head-fi.org/t/761870/the-best-noise-cancelling-anc-bluetooth-headphones-discussion-and-comparison-thread/15#post_11791166

I just wish the Bower & Wilkins P5 Wireless would have some sort of ANC as I just love the design and sound quality they deliver in both active and passive mode from a listening session at my local store.

Jul 27, 2015 at 12:08 PM Post #1,310 of 3,643
I just wanna thank the thread starter Giogio for the very informative first post of this thread, you have single-handedly convinced me with getting the ATH-WS99BT. Just got it today, and man, you weren't kidding about the bass! Controlled yet so prevalent and so much of it, I didn't think this was possible on a wireless headphones! I'm alternating between this and B&W P5 Wireless, every day is a new adventure with these two headphones! 
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 29, 2015 at 7:06 PM Post #1,312 of 3,643
I just wanna thank the thread starter Giogio for the very informative first post of this thread, you have single-handedly convinced me with getting the ATH-WS99BT. Just got it today, and man, you weren't kidding about the bass! Controlled yet so prevalent and so much of it, I didn't think this was possible on a wireless headphones! I'm alternating between this and B&W P5 Wireless, every day is a new adventure with these two headphones! :)  

Ditto on thanking Giogio. This has to be one of the best and most useful threads on the entire board!

Jul 31, 2015 at 6:16 PM Post #1,315 of 3,643
can anyone provide the cliff notes for this thread?

what wireless headphones are considered to be the best right now?

The very first post is the best summary, as @giogio had been updating the "best so far" over the life of the thread, up through May 19, 2015. More recent releases, such as the Sennheiser Momentum 2 Wireless, are treated in posts on the thread after May 19.

Aug 1, 2015 at 10:01 PM Post #1,316 of 3,643
I just bought the ATH-WS99BT headphones and am having a very different experience with them than the others in this thread who have tried them and recommended them.

It's early, but so far, I find the bass to be entirely muddy. To the extent that there is simply the BOOM BOOM of the bass, but I can't even tell which instruments are providing that bass. I've been A/B'ing them with my Plantronics BBP's, and the comparison is night and day. While the BBPs provide more than adequate bass, that bass is also musical. The instruments can be differentiated. I've played the same tracks with both cans and each time, I hear nothing but a mess with the ATH's.
Additionally, the mid range seems ridiculously boosted and the higher range almost non-existent. Overall, everything is muffled, veiled. 
I've gone with and without EQ, playing them with my player of choice, Poweramp, without any alteration, and with the 20 presets I've made over the past several months. And of course I've also begun toying with new EQ settings to get these ATH's to sound acceptable.
Perhaps these are really only for people who listen to electronica.
Aside from the poor SQ, the controls are another issue. Finding them, that is. The buttons are all close together and flush, on the left ear, and it's a real pain trying to find the right control. FYI, there is no seek function, only skip.

Has anyone else had a disappointing experience with these?

Aug 2, 2015 at 10:04 AM Post #1,317 of 3,643
  I just bought the ATH-WS99BT headphones and am having a very different experience with them than the others in this thread who have tried them and recommended them.

It's early, but so far, I find the bass to be entirely muddy. To the extent that there is simply the BOOM BOOM of the bass, but I can't even tell which instruments are providing that bass. I've been A/B'ing them with my Plantronics BBP's, and the comparison is night and day. While the BBPs provide more than adequate bass, that bass is also musical. The instruments can be differentiated. I've played the same tracks with both cans and each time, I hear nothing but a mess with the ATH's.
Additionally, the mid range seems ridiculously boosted and the higher range almost non-existent. Overall, everything is muffled, veiled. 
I've gone with and without EQ, playing them with my player of choice, Poweramp, without any alteration, and with the 20 presets I've made over the past several months. And of course I've also begun toying with new EQ settings to get these ATH's to sound acceptable.
Perhaps these are really only for people who listen to electronica.
Aside from the poor SQ, the controls are another issue. Finding them, that is. The buttons are all close together and flush, on the left ear, and it's a real pain trying to find the right control. FYI, there is no seek function, only skip.

Has anyone else had a disappointing experience with these?

Yes, I think they're junk. I can't really understand the praise for them at all unless you've never listened to anything but low end cans your entire life. Which may be the case; most people posting in this thread have been comparing them to some pretty mediocre headphones.

My top two are still the AKG 845BT and Philips M2BT, though both have their issues that have prevented me from committing to a purchase. 

Aug 2, 2015 at 10:32 AM Post #1,318 of 3,643

Yes, I think they're junk. I can't really understand the praise for them at all unless you've never listened to anything but low end cans your entire life. Which may be the case; most people posting in this thread have been comparing them to some pretty mediocre headphones.

My top two are still the AKG 845BT and Philips M2BT, though both have their issues that have prevented me from committing to a purchase. 

I feel the same way about other BT headphones. I just can't find something I like. I'm hoping Bose's sale on the SoundLink over-ear is an indication they will release an updated over-ear model. I'd like to see the QC-25 model with integrated BT (even without NC) come out. The current on-ear set hurts my ears after 45 minutes.

Aug 6, 2015 at 6:33 AM Post #1,320 of 3,643

Users who are viewing this thread

Back