How Many Cans are Enough?!?
Sep 8, 2012 at 1:29 AM Post #46 of 111
Quote:
Home:
Sennheiser 598s for long term listening, gaming, critical listening, and earmuffs.
Ultrasone HFI-580: Because the 598s can't do all kinds of music.  These I use mainly for isolation and good bass.
Grado SR-60i: My foray into the Grado world.  Still on a fence with them.  Likely going to need a different DAC/amp to get them to truly shine.

Portable: 
Sennheiser Amperior: I won them... Thinking back.  I likely would have bought them had I heard them.  Great, stylish porta cans.  Decent isolation for on ear headphones.  I love em.  

Oh yeah... forgot.
Future planned cans:
Sennheiser HD650
Ultrasone HFI-2400
Maybe a set of higher end Denons. 

WHERE THE HECK DID YOU WING AMPERIORS?

Sep 8, 2012 at 2:38 AM Post #48 of 111
5 pairs - and I'm pretty much done for now.

SE535 Ltd Ed for portability - esp long distance air travel, and even for exercise.  If I ever need isolation, they're it.

Woodied SR325i as my 'fun' open can.  Occasionally use it portably as well.  For rock, blues, acoustic and even jazz - they are truly great cans.

And over the last year and a bit, I've been aiming to try most of the 'neutral' former flags - HD600, DT880 and K701.  I now own all of them, and simply can't let one of them go.  I use them all regularly depending on my mood and the genre I'm listening to.

Sep 8, 2012 at 8:12 PM Post #50 of 111
I think 3 or 4 would be enough for me. 2 for home, 1 or 2 for portable use.

I have 3 right now.

My stay-at-homes are my Superlux HD668Bs. My favorite headphone, the sound I get is so clean, especially once I hook it up to my E11. Considering what I used before, this was a HUGE jump in quality! Very satisfied.

For kinda portable and home use, my Sennheiser HD429s are good. They mostly stay at home, but sometimes I bring them out with me, just not often cause of the 10 ft cable. Good for fun listening, comfy, and I mostly use it with hiphop or my more mainstream stuff.

For portable use, I use my Sony MDR ZX100s. Not great cans I know, but they suffice (for now), were really cheap (so I won't be very bummed if they get stolen for some reason), durable (throw in my bag and they take a beating when my bag gets tossed around), small, and light.

I plan on upgrading in the future. I'd keep my Superluxes, maybe sell off the Sennheisers, and get something really nice. (200-400 USD). HD600 or HE-400 maybe? Who knows. Though I really want to upgrade my portables first. Thinking something along the lines of the MDR-V6s, DJ100s, ATH-M50s, or the HD25.

So many options!

Sep 8, 2012 at 8:37 PM Post #51 of 111
1, if I didn't game. Good customs like the JH13 (which I do own) or 16 (if one wanted more bass). Isolation, comfort, portable, easy to drive--and of course, top tier sonic performance.

My 13 definitely gets the most use out of everything I own, because of the commute

In reality, though, I needed cans to attach my modmic to for gaming, so I've kept my 880, and recently got the HE-400 out of curiosity.
I also have a PX-100 ii at work, so that when colleagues ask me something I can still hear them... Totally would't have them if it weren't for the open office layout, though.

Sep 8, 2012 at 8:51 PM Post #52 of 111
i have 2 currently
grado sr60i which were my first headphones and i use very rarely when its too much hassle putting in iems or i need to hear around me
and gr07 for on the go

ideally my future setup would be full size headphones for home
and iems for on the road

Sep 8, 2012 at 10:45 PM Post #53 of 111
Look at this.  He's only three years into this journey and not done yet.  
eek.gif
  This rabbit hole is gonna go deeper than you ever imagined... 
blink.gif
  Have a nice day! 
smile.gif

Sep 8, 2012 at 10:57 PM Post #55 of 111
Quote:
At any given time, one should be enough: the best you can get/afford. Good for everything!

Well in the sense that you only have two ears, yes.  But that's assuming that all you do is listen to them.  Y'all don't ever just look that their shinyness?  Or hold them close and whisper sweet words to 'em?  Or line them up in rows and lead them into battle?  Just me I guess...

Sep 9, 2012 at 12:44 AM Post #56 of 111
Quote:

Well in the sense that you only have two ears, yes.  But that's assuming that all you do is listen to them.  Y'all don't ever just look that their shinyness?  Or hold them close and whisper sweet words to 'em?  Or line them up in rows and lead them into battle?  Just me I guess...

Warrepchi,
'Lead them into battle' I just loved that !.
There is a fabulous Indian mythological 'bad guy' called Ravana with ten heads. A great warrior, passionate lover, and accomplished musician, maybe we should make him our patron saint.
smile.gif

If I had the skill I would have tried to put together picture of Ravana going into battle adorned with his harem of headphones.

Sep 9, 2012 at 12:50 AM Post #57 of 111
Quote:
There is a fabulous Indian mythological 'bad guy' called Ravana with ten heads. A great warrior, passionate lover, and accomplished musician, maybe we should make him our patron saint.
smile.gif
  If I had the skill I would have tried to put together picture of Ravana going into battle adorned with his harem of headphones.

As long as we put Jude's face on him I think we'd get authorized for it. 
smile.gif

Sep 9, 2012 at 12:57 AM Post #58 of 111
I would say three but everyone is different. Perfect would be two home sets with very different signatures and one for outside.

I feel the minds ability to adjust to different sound sigs is way underrated here.

Many feel more is better. I like to keep stuff simple. 

Sep 9, 2012 at 12:57 AM Post #59 of 111
In an ideal world the idea of 4 would be sweet. I have a DT990 and a Shure 840 for listening at home, AKG-172 for weekend trips and cheap Sennheiser earbuds for "active" situations. That said I have M50's en route in the mail. There are other headphones at home but they don't see active use and get "inherited"

Sep 9, 2012 at 1:01 AM Post #60 of 111
Personally I have 4 cans: sr80i for home, hd25 when outside, xb300 when I want EXTRA bass (I know the xb500 are better but I got these ones as a birthday gift) and hd448 for classic music. Now, how many are enough? Nobody knows... 
tongue_smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back