How Many Cans are Enough?!?
Sep 9, 2012 at 12:54 PM Post #76 of 111
I have 3 pair:

-Audio Technica AD 700 for relaxed listening
-Fostex T50RP (modded) for critical listening

-Sennheiser IE 6 for portable use

and I'm going to get some Alessandro MS1i because of their sound signature which would fill the gap between my 2 cans.
smile.gif

Sep 9, 2012 at 1:05 PM Post #77 of 111
Quote:

LOL, totally forgot about joker.  Heck might as well count ClieOS in there as well. 
wink.gif

I look at my list of headphones and while I'm not quite as bad as those two, I'm starting to get up there. I'm sure Joker and ClieOS both use the "I'm a reviewer, that totally justifies this next purchase!" mentality 
tongue.gif

Quote:
hey "Redcarmoose" you make an excellent point, but what/when is that point of diminished returns reached in the cost vs use scenario?  (Woo and VPI don't come cheap)

My point of diminishing returns is half a mortgage payment. 

Sep 9, 2012 at 4:40 PM Post #79 of 111
I'll definitely check those links out.  Do you use hardware or software eq?  if hardware which one?  if software, which one?

Sep 9, 2012 at 5:20 PM Post #80 of 111
Heya,

I know, it's ridiculous. I'm actually in the process of down sizing and getting rid of most of the ones I don't ever touch. And most of my gear too. End of the day, there's only a few headphones that I use that really just suite my tastes. And they're not even high-ends. I'm getting rid of those too actually. I just don't use them enough, as I use my speakers more. My headphone passion, after all the journey, still ends up being the D5000 & DT770 (600ohm). Kinda silly. But it's just the signature that I like, and I prefer closed back (and style is a must!).

Very best,

True very true Mal. No matter how highly a headphone may be "rated" and priced, at the end of the day, the headphone you just keep coming back to are the ones you should keep. I love my HE-400 and I couldn't be happier with the HE500 and HE-6 IMO. Same story with my Grado SR225i, I dislike the SR325i and dislike the GS and PS500. All about what sounds "right" to me.

I agree with both of you! :beerchug:

That said, I think whatever number a person feels is okay for them, is "right." Don't feel the need to own 30 pairs of headphones, but if you think 4 or 5 is where you'd like to be, that's fine too. I keep re-arriving at 6 as the magical number (I've sold every pair of cans I own and I always end up back at 6); so I figure the universe is trying to tell me something.

Sep 9, 2012 at 6:51 PM Post #82 of 111
Quote:
I'll definitely check those links out.  Do you use hardware or software eq?  if hardware which one?  if software, which one?

using a winamp plugin, haven't got cash to toss on a hardware eq (i would love to get one though)

each pixel is 1 band

Sep 10, 2012 at 4:16 AM Post #84 of 111
Great thread, and an important topic like in many hobbies, ie. "Just what do you want out of this hobby?".  It's so easy for noobs like me to get caught up in spending all our disposable income without knowing when to stop, or worse, spend what little hard-earned cash we have on something that isn't going to work for us.  It does take some experience to know what you want though, so a thread like this is valuable reading for new guys like me to see what others have done.

I agree with a lot of the above:
 - 2 different sets in the "listening room": open/relaxed, and semi-open/analytical  (currently my HD555 and HD668b)
then others scattered around the house for things like:
 - gaming: depends how good your sound card is... maybe a closed set so those lasers and explosions don't leak out (I have the Monoprice 8323)
 - exercise: stays in your ear (using Monoprice 8319 right now)
 - at the office: isolating when you need it to be (Brainwavz Beta for me w/ mic for Skype)
 - travel: isolating, ultra portable. (Meelectronics M6P working out ok)  Personally I fly a lot so I like a triple-flange IEM in a semi-hard case in my pocket.

Sep 10, 2012 at 6:16 AM Post #85 of 111
Quote:
using a winamp plugin, haven't got cash to toss on a hardware eq (i would love to get one though)

each pixel is 1 band

250 band seems a bit like overkill, but I'll definitely research  But the eq only effects 1 aspect of sound, the sound spectrum/signature.  It does not effect soundstage, soundstage location, effect of the drivers within a certain freq range, isolation/seal, roll-off at sub-bass or high freqs, and so much more aspects of sound.

As far as I see it, I still will need different cans.  There is NO WAY that an equalizer (250 band or not) will ever get my DT990s to sound like my HD650s.

Sep 10, 2012 at 6:28 AM Post #86 of 111
5 is my number.

1 for rock music (Alessandro MS1i)
1 for electronic music (AIAIAI TMA-1)
1 for mixed multimedia, TV, game, ecc. (Creative Aurvana Live!)
1 for jogging (KSC75)
need another one for acoustic, classic music, probably I will take a ATH-AD900
beyersmile.png

Sep 10, 2012 at 7:23 AM Post #87 of 111
I have 3 for the gym. 1 Beats Pro 1 Beats Pro Detox (both knockoffs) and IE8 for jogging. The flipback earcups work great when I'm getting spotted I can hear my spotter and still listen to the my music without loss in sound quality. The control talk cord I swiped from a pair of solos is great for when I go for a heavy lift and crank the volume up then when I'm done i don't have to reach into my pocket to find the volume switch on my iPhone to turn it back down. Sounding better than my real Studios, I couldn't ask for anything better for the price.

I have a pair of MP 8320 that I sometimes fall asleep in because I tend to break IEMs if I fall asleep wearing them. I have a pair of MTPGs that is my favorite right now and is my all a rounder. I have a pair of Diddy Beats that were my gateway drug into headphone heaven. I bought a pair of MDTs a little while ago but they don't work with the type of music I listen to and I don't like the mid centric sound sig. I've got the JVC extreme explosives, Brainwaves Betas and Meelectronic M9P for a few knock around pairs.

The only cans I've listened to were the Studios and fake Beats Pro and Pro Detox (ironically the fake pros sound better than the real Studios, go figure) so I'll be getti g the HD 650. I'd also like to get the Monster isport. trumpets, Sony EX1000. triple Fi 10 and the rebranded Kicker cans from Monoprice.

I just realized this topic was posted in full sized cans, sorry

Sep 10, 2012 at 7:31 AM Post #88 of 111
Ideally four,
one portable IEM  that is all rounder
one portable for gym that excels especially on bass
one high end closed with priority on good  bass
one high end open with priority for classical music

Sep 10, 2012 at 7:43 AM Post #89 of 111
Quote:
250 band seems a bit like overkill, but I'll definitely research  But the eq only effects 1 aspect of sound, the sound spectrum/signature.  It does not effect soundstage, soundstage location, effect of the drivers within a certain freq range, isolation/seal, roll-off at sub-bass or high freqs, and so much more aspects of sound.

As far as I see it, I still will need different cans.  There is NO WAY that an equalizer (250 band or not) will ever get my DT990s to sound like my HD650s.

very true, probably my claims were a quite exaggerated i do apologize for that

but it did cure some aspect of subbass rolloff (see the +13 db cliff at the left side)

eq can improve soundstage to some degree, by cutting down volumatic frequencies percieved clarity improves.

but then agin if the eq could do EVERYTHING the companies won't bother making more than one kind of headphone 
biggrin.gif

so eq doesn't make you have every headphone in the world but an eq definetely makes you like more headphones in the world 
tongue.gif

Sep 10, 2012 at 9:34 AM Post #90 of 111
Quote:
very true, probably my claims were a quite exaggerated i do apologize for that

but it did cure some aspect of subbass rolloff (see the +13 db cliff at the left side)

eq can improve soundstage to some degree, by cutting down volumatic frequencies percieved clarity improves.

but then agin if the eq could do EVERYTHING the companies won't bother making more than one kind of headphone 
biggrin.gif

so eq doesn't make you have every headphone in the world but an eq definetely makes you like more headphones in the world 
tongue.gif

I absolutely agree with that statement.  Software eq is amazing now.  I use JetAudio for a reason, b/c of the 20 band eq and BBE.  I love it.  Some of the minor issues with some of my headphones can be fixed with eq.  Like the piercing highs of the 990 pros and the mid-high spike of the K550s.  The 650s, I don't tweak too much :).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back