High End CIEM/IEM Thread!
Mar 9, 2014 at 7:27 AM Post #286 of 903
Honestly this thing about trebble roll off on the 846 is overblown. With white filters it sounds just fine. People often pretend to hear what their graph says...

I have yet to hear SE846 (can't demo it in here Belgium) but I spoke with some users that I trust in head-fi, they mentioned the resolution is pretty bad if you think about their price. However they all agree the bass is legendary and midrange is quite good too. Don't get me wrong, I trust you too, you were one of the ones that I counted their opinion before getting SE5way and I regret nothing, best purchase of my life. I just have a feeling like Shure will improve the model soon with better treble extension and increase the price by around 200 or something.

To be honest it could work for me actually but if I ever go back to universals, it will be either FitEar (cuz I can't get their customs from here) or Tralucent Audio.

Mar 9, 2014 at 8:14 AM Post #287 of 903
I have yet to hear SE846 (can't demo it in here Belgium) but I spoke with some users that I trust in head-fi, they mentioned the resolution is pretty bad if you think about their price. However they all agree the bass is legendary and midrange is quite good too. Don't get me wrong, I trust you too, you were one of the ones that I counted their opinion before getting SE5way and I regret nothing, best purchase of my life. I just have a feeling like Shure will improve the model soon with better treble extension and increase the price by around 200 or something.

To be honest it could work for me actually but if I ever go back to universals, it will be either FitEar (cuz I can't get their customs from here) or Tralucent Audio.
I think I am going to test the 846 again with trebble tracks to see what the fuss is about. The 1plus2 are too class iems, but the 846 are smoother in the mids, and more isolating. I am not so crazy about the 334. Prefer the 335.

Mar 9, 2014 at 8:29 AM Post #288 of 903
If I could get 335, I would also prefer that one too
tongue_smile.gif

Mar 9, 2014 at 10:19 AM Post #289 of 903
Let's not confuse treble spikes for extension.  As for resolution I actually find with the 846 that it gets better as you get out of the bass section.  The bass balance is quite good but the decay is really long.  Cymbal and snare resolution for instance is very good, bass drum and bass guitar less so.  Put it this way... LCD-3 gone, 846 still here.  That said, I'd still love to give the JH13fp a try.

Mar 9, 2014 at 1:25 PM Post #290 of 903
  Let's not confuse treble spikes for extension.  As for resolution I actually find with the 846 that it gets better as you get out of the bass section.  The bass balance is quite good but the decay is really long.  Cymbal and snare resolution for instance is very good, bass drum and bass guitar less so.  Put it this way... LCD-3 gone, 846 still here.  That said, I'd still love to give the JH13fp a try.

If you're referring to the 1Plus2 I don't agree on that. They definitely have great extension from top to bottom. IEMs that I had issues though with treble spikes were the EX1000 and the 334 (relatively minor compared to the EX1000).

Mar 9, 2014 at 1:36 PM Post #291 of 903

The slow bass really bothered me a lot and as much as I like to finally keep a Shure, I didn't.  JH13FP is day and night better imho.  I also much prefer 1plus2 over 846.  I might have choose 846 over tg334 had they been launched together for the comfort of the shures, but since I already had the 334, I won't trade it for the 846.

I agree that if we isolate the treble from bass/mid bass, resolution is there.  But the long bass decay does have a negative impact on the overall presentation and hence many do feel it is less resolving.

Mar 9, 2014 at 2:03 PM Post #292 of 903

If you're referring to the 1Plus2 I don't agree on that. They definitely have great extension from top to bottom. IEMs that I had issues though with treble spikes were the EX1000 and the 334 (relatively minor compared to the EX1000).

He's referring to the 846 I believe. 

Mar 9, 2014 at 5:39 PM Post #293 of 903
With Studio V3 Anniversary coming in I'm wondering if I should be trading out my HifiMan 901 with a nearly full set of cards (Balanced, IEM, Minibox), for a set of SE5ways. Will I be missing much until I can afford another high-end DAP?

Mar 10, 2014 at 4:38 AM Post #294 of 903
I found it! Audio Technica's IM04! It sounds amazingly like what I dreamed of. Intimate, sweet, and engaging. Although not as clear as summit-fi iems, it has the exact sound sig I was looking for. I might purchase one soon, if I can sell my SRH1540. Does anyone here want to buy it before I put it on for sale section? I'll add details on the sale later.

Mar 10, 2014 at 5:42 AM Post #296 of 903
With Studio V3 Anniversary coming in I'm wondering if I should be trading out my HifiMan 901 with a nearly full set of cards (Balanced, IEM, Minibox), for a set of SE5ways. Will I be missing much until I can afford another high-end DAP?

I guess only you can tell if you like the V3 enough to part with your 901. I do know a friend in Hong Kong looking to get a minibox card if you decide to sell. Cheers.

Apr 14, 2014 at 9:38 PM Post #298 of 903
 Hmm, I want another summit-fi iem. Any suggestions?
I would prefer to stick with universal, as I don't like custom fit too much.

I want fun sounding iem with strong bass, smooth mids, and present treble. Kind of like MDR7550 or SE535. I was looking the SE846, but lacking upper treble got me worried.

Price range is around $1000. Any advice would be great. As much as I love UERM, I want another summit-fi iem to supplement it.

Noble offers IEMs in "standard format" (injected molded parts) or hand finished/hand crafted "one off" IEMs as well. Prices can range from 300 - 1,200

product range 3-4-5-6 along with the "PR" and "FR" IEMs

Noble Audio Stay updated on Noble Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/NobleAudio https://www.twitter.com/noblebywizard https://www.instagram.com/nobleaudio https://nobleaudio.com/en/ contact@nobleaudio.com
Apr 18, 2014 at 4:05 AM Post #299 of 903

The resolution is pretty good, especially in the low end. I have been using the Shure SE846 for monitoring the low end during mixing as it's pretty easy to hear what's going on down there with these IEM. I don't think the resolution is bad also at other frequencies as it's quite easy to hear audio artefacts. 

However I can see why some people might think these Shure SE846 has poor resolution because it's a balanced sounding headphone (bright headphones usually give the impression they are better at detail retrieval) 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back