High End CIEM/IEM Thread!
Mar 4, 2014 at 3:21 PM Post #273 of 903
  UERM hard shell.

Hard shell? You mean they made thicker acrylic layer than usual or they completely fill the shell with acrylic? I didn't know UE can make their ciems in that way honestly.

I heard their acrylic layer is slightly thicker than the ordinary ones thus providing a bit better isolation but I have no knowledge about fully filled acrylic shell by UE.

Mar 4, 2014 at 4:29 PM Post #274 of 903

Hard shell? You mean they made thicker acrylic layer than usual or they completely fill the shell with acrylic? I didn't know UE can make their ciems in that way honestly.

I heard their acrylic layer is slightly thicker than the ordinary ones thus providing a bit better isolation but I have no knowledge about fully filled acrylic shell by UE.

No no. It's just a normal acrylic shell. They used to offer "soft" shells, which were just silicon. It's not fully filled shell.

Mar 7, 2014 at 8:08 AM Post #275 of 903
Hmm, I want another summit-fi iem. Any suggestions?
I would prefer to stick with universal, as I don't like custom fit too much.

I want fun sounding iem with strong bass, smooth mids, and present treble. Kind of like MDR7550 or SE535. I was looking the SE846, but lacking upper treble got me worried.

Price range is around $1000. Any advice would be great. As much as I love UERM, I want another summit-fi iem to supplement it.

Mar 7, 2014 at 8:14 AM Post #276 of 903
Some of the most expensive universal iems are Roxanne and Mentor Universal versions. You might want to check them out, even though I stay away from them like they are plague or something.

Edit: There is Noble 6 too if you want, it got plenty of positive comments. Also cheaper than the 2 others I mentioned.

Mar 7, 2014 at 8:23 AM Post #277 of 903
Some of the most expensive universal iems are Roxanne and Mentor Universal versions. You might want to check them out, even though I stay away from them like they are plague or something.

Edit: There is Noble 6 too if you want, it got plenty of positive comments. Also cheaper than the 2 others I mentioned.

Just curious, what happened with the Roxanne?

Mar 7, 2014 at 8:39 AM Post #279 of 903
I rather not to derail the thread in here but let's say it is not Roxanne's fault rather than JHA and how they respect their customers. I stopped checking Roxanne threads long ago after I saw what kind of service Jerry provides.

Okay thanks.

Mar 7, 2014 at 9:12 AM Post #280 of 903
Hmm, I want another summit-fi iem. Any suggestions?
I would prefer to stick with universal, as I don't like custom fit too much.

I want fun sounding iem with strong bass, smooth mids, and present treble. Kind of like MDR7550 or SE535. I was looking the SE846, but lacking upper treble got me worried.

Price range is around $1000. Any advice would be great. As much as I love UERM, I want another summit-fi iem to supplement it.
1plus2, Kaede, 846. I did not care for the Mentor demo.

Mar 7, 2014 at 2:58 PM Post #281 of 903
To
I rather not to derail the thread in here but let's say it is not Roxanne's fault rather than JHA and how they respect their customers. I stopped checking Roxanne threads long ago after I saw what kind of service Jerry provides.
to be fair, I don't think JH audio expected such incredibly high demand for the Roxanne when they released it, specifically the Carbon Fiber demand... Hell it is still being sold under "pre order" and not to make excuses for them, but it's my understanding that Jerry has been traveling in Asia/Europe touring with the Roxanne's, I just ordered a pair of Roxanne's February 1st (my first ever CIEM!) and was told by Corbyn that I should have it prior to April 7.

Both times I called I was able to speak to someone and get detailed information on the process and why it is taking so long, they were very polite and kind. I realize that this does not excuse them for taking 4-5 months to get people their Carbon Fiber Roxanne's, but so far they have been great to me

Side note, I'm still debating if I should get a DAP or not and which one to get (spent $1600 on Roxanne's, but want to keep my dap budget under $500 as I can't justify more than that since my iPhone 5 does sound great right now with my shure SE 535's)

I drool every night reading about the AK 120....alas a dream that I'll never have :frowning2:

Mar 7, 2014 at 8:16 PM Post #282 of 903
To
to be fair, I don't think JH audio expected such incredibly high demand for the Roxanne when they released it, specifically the Carbon Fiber demand... Hell it is still being sold under "pre order" and not to make excuses for them, but it's my understanding that Jerry has been traveling in Asia/Europe touring with the Roxanne's, I just ordered a pair of Roxanne's February 1st (my first ever CIEM!) and was told by Corbyn that I should have it prior to April 7.

Both times I called I was able to speak to someone and get detailed information on the process and why it is taking so long, they were very polite and kind. I realize that this does not excuse them for taking 4-5 months to get people their Carbon Fiber Roxanne's, but so far they have been great to me

Side note, I'm still debating if I should get a DAP or not and which one to get (spent $1600 on Roxanne's, but want to keep my dap budget under $500 as I can't justify more than that since my iPhone 5 does sound great right now with my shure SE 535's)

I drool every night reading about the AK 120....alas a dream that I'll never have :frowning2:
High ciems scale up really well with higher en sources IMO, but do not get your pants in a bunch over the AK120, it is definitely overpriced IMO. It sounds nice but the sound is quite colored. In your budget I would go X5, or you can get a second hand DX100 if portability is not key. Otherwise you can wait for the DX90.

Mar 9, 2014 at 6:27 AM Post #284 of 903
SE846's treble extension isn't bad, it is just not there. That thing doesn't extend further than 10k. You want treble? Get 1+2, still one of the best ever universal iems ever made.

I wish I had money, it would be the perfect home use iem for me while I keep SE5way on to go (thanks to its organic presentation and perfect isolation abilities).

Mar 9, 2014 at 7:05 AM Post #285 of 903
SE846's treble extension isn't bad, it is just not there. That thing doesn't extend further than 10k. You want treble? Get 1+2, still one of the best ever universal iems ever made.

I wish I had money, it would be the perfect home use iem for me while I keep SE5way on to go (thanks to its organic presentation and perfect isolation abilities).
Honestly this thing about trebble roll off on the 846 is overblown. With white filters it sounds just fine. People often pretend to hear what their graph says...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back