HiFiMan Susvara
Aug 4, 2021 at 1:08 PM Post #10,306 of 25,592
Thanks, I agree that the V281 is ideal for the LCD4 line. It's my favorite solid state amplifier for them.

Maybe I can demo somewhere.
I was also going to mention that the Niimbus is quite a different "animal" from the v281, but I see that @thecrow has already addressed that issue. You might also want to consider the Pathos InPol Ear, which I have found to drive the Susvaras particularly well.

The wild card in all these speculations and suggestions is the nature of the very "dryness" you're trying to avoid, which I personally cannot translate given how we all hear things differently, and how everything depends on particular chain synergies... etc. etc. I do hope you find the solution you're looking for as quickly and as painlessly as possible...

One related nagging question that I cannot help asking, out of curiosity, is whether you have explored tube rolling solutions on the Wa33 to this dryness issue, and, why not, if you haven't :)

Aug 4, 2021 at 1:10 PM Post #10,307 of 25,592
I was also going to mention that the Niimbus is quite a different "animal" from the v281, but I see that @thecrow has already addressed that issue. You might also want to consider the Pathos InPol Ear, which I have found to drive the Susvaras particularly well.

The wild card in all these speculations and suggestions is the nature of the very "dryness" you're trying to avoid, which I personally cannot translate given how we all hear things differently, and how everything depends on particular chain synergies... etc. etc. I do hope you find the solution you're looking for as quickly and as painlessly as possible...

One related nagging question that I cannot help asking, out of curiosity, is whether you have explored tube rolling solutions on the Wa33 to this dryness issue, and, why not, if you haven't :)

That’s a good point. I’ve been pretty happy with the stock tubes with my other headphones. I just have not entered that rabbit hole yet. Perhaps it’s time :)

Aug 4, 2021 at 2:00 PM Post #10,308 of 25,592
That’s a good point. I’ve been pretty happy with the stock tubes with my other headphones. I just have not entered that rabbit hole yet. Perhaps it’s time :)
I get the part about the "rabbit hole." But then tubes might also quite easily turn out to be your quickest and easiest solution, not to mention, the cheapest one, if you can get your hands on the right ones on time. There are NOS tubes which can enhance or add lushness, musicality, and even "wetness" to the sound field of the cans, if those are the properties you're looking for, without sacrificing anything essential such as detail retrieval, or soundstage. And that is just the beginning. It helps if there are tube-rolling connoisseurs/owners or even dealers of the WA33 whom you can consult with for recommendations. The expertise of such folks could shorten the search and spare you any undesirably prolonged trips down that rabbit hole.

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2021 at 5:26 PM Post #10,309 of 25,592
Welp, my new DAC/Amp (the topping is acting as a D/D converter currently into the Boulders DAC) arrived today. Just about to start doing some listening with the Susvara and 1266TC. Will report back!

IMG_1790.JPG

IMG_1794 2.JPG

IMG_1797.JPG

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2021 at 5:58 PM Post #10,310 of 25,592
Welp, my new DAC/Amp (the topping is acting as a D/D converter currently into the Boulders DAC) arrived today. Just about to start doing some listening with the Susvara and 1266TC. Will report back!

Wow! That's impressive and imposing!

Enough to earn one honorary Elvis salute! so here goes :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

gV486hm.gif

In all seriousness though, Congrats and Kudos, for acquiring that beast of a dac/amp! My jealousy is appropriately tickled and stirred:slight_smile::slight_smile::slight_smile:

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2021 at 9:05 PM Post #10,312 of 25,592
Any advice on cables for susvara?
Pure copper,silver plated copper or pure silver? I believe the stock cable is silver plated copper! Any help is much appreciated :beerchug:

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2021 at 10:06 PM Post #10,313 of 25,592
Get good copper cables. I'm using Brise Audio (don't know the purity though, the brand doesn't disclose such info) and in recent years it's helped me understand that with good copper cables I found it to be more emotive, fluid, and a deeper richer sound than in the past when I was dabbling with copper/sliver, or silver/gold, etc. which focused more on just the FR.

Somehow with good copper cables, I've appreciated a more involving imaging presence.

PC190006.jpeg

Aug 4, 2021 at 10:53 PM Post #10,314 of 25,592
Pure copper,silver plated copper or pure silver? I believe the stock cable is silver plated copper! Any help is much appreciated :beerchug:
Personally, I would say it depends on the type of music you usually listen to, and what aspects of the sound you would want emphasized. So no "wrong" choice here; just what works best for you. With that said, for my money, and the types of music I enjoy with the Susvara--Acoustic, classical, and several types of modern avant-garde and European jazz, instrumental, and lots of ECM label titles, world music, with some Blues and classic rock, nothing beats pure silver, for top detail, micro-detail, fullness, smoothness, limpid transparency, and more : that is what I'll call non-fatiguing listen-for-several-blissful-hours-on-end silver detail, as well as some of of the best textured brews of bass one can dream of, particularly upright bass. Incidentally, here's my own "usual suspect", aka the Norne Audio Silvergarde S4 8-wire:

IMG_0034.jpg

IMG_0035.jpg

And absolutely not to be underestimated or forgotten is a spot of your choice of cocktails to go with the listening experience,

in other words the very pièce de résistance of the entire experience :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :

1ff18c35199529.56ed7f7c29a37.gif

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2021 at 11:24 PM Post #10,315 of 25,592
Get good copper cables. I'm using Brise Audio (don't know the purity though, the brand doesn't disclose such info) and in recent years it's helped me understand that with good copper cables I found it to be more emotive, fluid, and a deeper richer sound than in the past when I was dabbling with copper/sliver, or silver/gold, etc. which focused more on just the FR.

Somehow with good copper cables, I've appreciated a more involving imaging presence.

PC190006.jpeg
How stiff is the cable? I’ve tried a couple of Brise cables in the past and they were very stiff.

Aug 5, 2021 at 12:25 AM Post #10,317 of 25,592
I've been using the DHC Prion 4 since I've owned my Susvara's. I love the combination

IMG_1249.jpg

Aug 5, 2021 at 12:29 AM Post #10,318 of 25,592
any advice? - about 6 foot :)

personally and in my setup (ymmv) i currently strongly lean towards copper or silver plated copper for my susvaras.

as opposed to silver that i quite often have enjoyed with other headphones in the past and now.

a good amount of quality copper gives me that naturalness,, roundness, that kind of stuff that i want from my susvaras.

the more that i move towards more silver the more i go i to a different “heightened” direction. Not necessarily a bad thing but not what i currently want from this hp.

Aug 5, 2021 at 12:36 AM Post #10,319 of 25,592
How stiff is the cable? I’ve tried a couple of Brise cables in the past and they were very stiff.
They're moderately stiff but I don't have any issues with them. To me, their sonic benefits outweigh the cable stiffness.

Aug 5, 2021 at 3:17 AM Post #10,320 of 25,592
I liked the Cardas Clear cable with my Susvaras. I tried the JPS superconductor with my Susvaras (I bought an adapter), and I wasn’t a big fan. There was too much “smoothing” of the sound. Basically, the Susvaras are already smooth, so adding the Superconductor was too much of a good thing. 🤷‍♂️

Users who are viewing this thread

Back