HiFiMan Susvara
Aug 3, 2021 at 6:38 PM Post #10,291 of 25,551
Aug 4, 2021 at 4:47 AM Post #10,292 of 25,551
Yes should be plural, dealer(s)

:)

That's a fair point :wink:

Always start sentences with a capital.

That's exactly what Boromir was all about.

sadasd.jpg

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Aug 4, 2021 at 5:20 AM Post #10,293 of 25,551
Aug 4, 2021 at 5:58 AM Post #10,294 of 25,551

Aug 4, 2021 at 6:04 AM Post #10,295 of 25,551
True, I'm pretty sure no Dealer in germany would sell a new pair for 3000€
That would be less than half
I think 3000 € is more realistic for used models, but if there are really dealers in Germany who sell the Susvara by half then I'll take it. 😁

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2021 at 10:25 AM Post #10,296 of 25,551
Another amp question:

I have a woo wa33 which drives my abyss tc and lcd4 to perfection as far as my tastes go.

That said, I am starting to think perhaps I can do better with the susvara. Not necessarily from a technical standpoint, but because the susvara’s sound a bit dry in this setup which is surprising because tubes. My other headphones don’t exhibit this with the woo.

I have a Violectric V281 which is great with most of my headphones, but this quality is excacerbated with the susvara.
On the woo I experiment with high impedance, and while this fixes the issue to a large extent, it’s doing so my elevating the upper minds which gets fatiguing for me.

I looked into the Bakoon figuring it would be nice to have a powerful solid state amp to compliment the woo, and I’ve had the v281 for quite some time, though it’s in perfect condition. I would be surprised that a solid state amp would make these headphones sound less dry. In fact the v281 is one of the most liquid solid state amps I have, which is why I’ve kept it - but not with these.

Bakoon is not available anymore, but I don’t know if it would improve it in the way I’m thinking. I hesitate with the Nimbus, because it may have a similar signature to the v281. I don’t want a speaker amp, really, just for convenience. That’s why I like the Bakoon- it’s a speaker amp accessible through the headphone jack.

I don’t find the woo soft per se as some have described. Anyhow, I am not seeking bigger dynamics per se, but an improvement on tone. I dunno, maybe the susvara aren’t for me, or maybe I have to spend a longer time with them to get used to their signature.

any thoughts, reccos would be appreciated.

Aug 4, 2021 at 10:43 AM Post #10,297 of 25,551
Another amp question:

I have a woo wa33 which drives my abyss tc and lcd4 to perfection as far as my tastes go.

That said, I am starting to think perhaps I can do better with the susvara. Not necessarily from a technical standpoint, but because the susvara’s sound a bit dry in this setup which is surprising because tubes. My other headphones don’t exhibit this with the woo.

I have a Violectric V281 which is great with most of my headphones, but this quality is excacerbated with the susvara.
On the woo I experiment with high impedance, and while this fixes the issue to a large extent, it’s doing so my elevating the upper minds which gets fatiguing for me.

I looked into the Bakoon figuring it would be nice to have a powerful solid state amp to compliment the woo, and I’ve had the v281 for quite some time, though it’s in perfect condition. I would be surprised that a solid state amp would make these headphones sound less dry. In fact the v281 is one of the most liquid solid state amps I have, which is why I’ve kept it - but not with these.

Bakoon is not available anymore, but I don’t know if it would improve it in the way I’m thinking. I hesitate with the Nimbus, because it may have a similar signature to the v281. I don’t want a speaker amp, really, just for convenience. That’s why I like the Bakoon- it’s a speaker amp accessible through the headphone jack.

I don’t find the woo soft per se as some have described. Anyhow, I am not seeking bigger dynamics per se, but an improvement on tone. I dunno, maybe the susvara aren’t for me, or maybe I have to spend a longer time with them to get used to their signature.

Get the Hifiman EF1000 which has made my Susvara's sound utterly amazing to my ears and linked to my DAVE & M Scaler digital set-up the best headphone system I have heard to date period. Only negative I have so far experienced with the EF1000 is it gets very hot (see my previous posting on this subject).

Aug 4, 2021 at 10:44 AM Post #10,298 of 25,551
Get the Hifiman EF1000 which has made my Susvara's sound utterly amazing to my ears and linked to my DAVE & M Scaler digital set-up the best headphone system I have heard to date period. Only negative I have so far experienced with the EF1000 is it gets very hot (see my previous posting on this subject).
The EF1000 also sounds great with my Focal Electra 1008 BE Speakers too which is an added bonus.

Aug 4, 2021 at 10:52 AM Post #10,299 of 25,551

I'm sure it does! But as $15k for use primarily with one headphone (not sure how it sounds with Abyss), it's a bit rich for me.

Aug 4, 2021 at 10:56 AM Post #10,300 of 25,551
The EF1000 also sounds great with my Focal Electra 1008 BE Speakers too which is an added bonus.

I am looking to get a speaker set up eventually. But as context, I would rather spend $15k on a pair of KEF Reference 3s or Focal Kanta No3.

Anyone have any experience with the upline bakoon amps used with headphones and speakers? I know they are relaunching under Enleum. It just seems that the Bakoon amp is the one amp that absolutely everyone likes with the Susvara, and it's convenient. Though not available anymore. I haven't seen one bad review.

Aug 4, 2021 at 11:02 AM Post #10,301 of 25,551
Anyone have any experience with the upline bakoon amps used with headphones and speakers? I know they are relaunching under Enleum. It just seems that the Bakoon amp is the one amp that absolutely everyone likes with the Susvara, and it's convenient. Though not available anymore. I haven't seen one bad review.

Enleum looks like Bakoon under a new name and with some changes already mentioned several posts ago. If you were interested in Bakoon, now Enleum is the one it seems :)

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Aug 4, 2021 at 11:11 AM Post #10,302 of 25,551
Enleum looks like Bakoon under a new name and with some changes already mentioned several posts ago. If you were interested in Bakoon, now Enleum is the one it seems :)

Yeah - that seems like the way to go, but unfortunately not available yet. The EF1000 is interesting because "tubes" - especially if looking for a more liquid sound. I haven't listened to the bakoon so no idea if it's right for me, just reviews.

In descriptions of the susvara with amps, there is a lot about soundstage and dynamics - but not a lot about tone. That's what is most important to me. The EF1000 seems like the right track, it's just really expensive to buy site unseen.

Aug 4, 2021 at 11:12 AM Post #10,303 of 25,551
Speaking of which, if anyone wants to sell their Bakoon 13r, please contact me.

Aug 4, 2021 at 11:14 AM Post #10,304 of 25,551
. I hesitate with the Nimbus, because it may have a similar signature to the v281. I don’t want a speaker amp, really, just for convenience. That’s why I like the Bakoon- it’s a speaker amp accessible through the headphone jack.

TL:DR;
Do not overlook the Niimbus if you enjoy the v281. Not the same. Better and more.

I never owned the v281
I owned the v280 and went to the niimbus.

The v280 sounded somewhat veiled compared to the niimbus.
Niimbus - I quite often keep going back to three points that were identified immediately:
1) black background.
2) Great texture on the music from top to bottom, including somewhat palpable bass in nature
3) The niimbus illuminated so much more (relatively speaking of course) compared to v280. Eg, Instruments / voices distantly in the background were more apparent and present. Hence the relatively veiled description above of the v280.

Niimbus not as much of a warm tilt v v280
(Eg v280 a bit too dark/warm with empyreans for me, not so with niimbus)

A friend of mine owns the v281. He was surprised of the noticeable upgrade going to the niimbus.

One thing on the v280 side was that the lcd4 seemed so well matched to it and the lcd4’s troublesome high end peaks were kept in check. WIth the us4 I would need some eqing there for the lcd4. That’s only my opinion of demoing the lcd 4 a few times with both - I never owned the lcd4.

Susvaras are great with us4

YMMV
My 2 cents

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2021 at 11:18 AM Post #10,305 of 25,551
TL:DR;
Do not overlook the Niimbus if you enjoy the v281. Not the same. Better and more.

I never owned the v281
I owned the v280 and went to the niimbus.

The v280 sounded somewhat veiled compared to the niimbus.
Niimbus - I quite often keep going back to three points that were identified immediately:
1) black background.
2) Great texture on the music from top to bottom, including somewhat palpable bass in nature
3) The niimbus illuminated so much more (relatively speaking of course) compared to v280. Eg, Instruments / voices distantly in the background were more apparent and present. Hence the relatively veiled description above of the v280.

Niimbus not as much of a warm tilt v v280
(Eg v280 a bit too dark/warm with empyreans for me, not so with niimbus)

A friend of mine owns the v281. He was surprised of the noticeable upgrade going to the niimbus.

One thing on the v280 side was that the lcd4 seemed so well matched to it and the lcd4’s troublesome high end peaks were kept in check. WIth the us4 I would need some eqing there for the lcd4. That’s only my opinion of demoing the lcd 4 a few times with both - I never owned the lcd4.

Susvaras are great with us4

YMMV
My 2 cents

Thanks, I agree that the V281 is ideal for the LCD4 line. It's my favorite solid state amplifier for them.

Maybe I can demo somewhere.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back