HiFiMan Susvara
Aug 5, 2021 at 11:29 PM Post #10,336 of 25,592
Purely for listening to Classical/orchestral music, does anyone think the HE1000SE holds its own against the Susvara, or is the Susvara tops there too, hands down? Thanks. (I'm aspiring to an end-game headphone for Classical music).
The hekse are great
and can be driven out of absolutely anything

the susvaras are exceptional
but need a dedicated powerful amp to be so.

Aug 6, 2021 at 2:12 AM Post #10,339 of 25,592
My experience may be of help.

I recently complained that my Susvara headphone sounded too "thin and bright" when used in the following setup.

PS Audio PWT CD-transport => Wireworld Micro-Silver Eclipse 8 AES interconnect => Wyred-4Sound 2v2SE 10th Anniversary Limited Edition DAC => Wireworld Silver Eclipse balanced XLR cable => Niimbus US4 headphone amplifier => Norne Silvergarde cable => Susvara headphone.

I empirically purchased the ForzaAudioworks Noir HPC Mk2 cable, which is entirely copper based - https://forzaaudioworks.com/en/product.php?id_product=81

It solved my problem and now my Susvara sounds much more full-bodied and more musically neutral. I suspect that the Norne Silvergarde cable was not a good choice for my Niimbus US4 headphone amplifier, which replaced my Violectric V281 headphone amplifier (which was more warm-sounding and significantly less cold/clinical-sounding than my Niimbus US4 headphone amplifier). I realise, of course, that other Niimbus US4 owners have used silver-based headphone cables with no problem, but I can highly recommend the copper-based ForzaAudioworks Noir HPC Mk2 cable for people who find that their Susvara-based audio setup sounds too "thin and bright".

Jeff.

Hi Jeff,

I also have the US 4 in chain and the Forza Noir HPC MK2. My tests with pure silver cables show that they produce more soundstage and maybe more details but are missing the punch the Forza creates. Now I'm settled on a pure silver cable which has parts of gold and palladium. This cable plays someone in between a pure silver and a hybrid cable with VERY large soundstage, massive details and kicks only a little less the Forza. But I cannot say the the silver/palladium/gold cable is the best for me. There are days I settle back to the Forza because it kicks so hard and is unbelievable good for Rock & Metal. When I want more soundstage and air I go to the silver/gold/palladium.

Thomas

Aug 6, 2021 at 7:52 AM Post #10,341 of 25,592
Hi Jeff,

I also have the US 4 in chain and the Forza Noir HPC MK2. My tests with pure silver cables show that they produce more soundstage and maybe more details but are missing the punch the Forza creates. Now I'm settled on a pure silver cable which has parts of gold and palladium. This cable plays someone in between a pure silver and a hybrid cable with VERY large soundstage, massive details and kicks only a little less the Forza. But I cannot say the the silver/palladium/gold cable is the best for me. There are days I settle back to the Forza because it kicks so hard and is unbelievable good for Rock & Metal. When I want more soundstage and air I go to the silver/gold/palladium.

Thomas
Thank you for your interesting comments.

I can sense that my Forza Noir HPC Mk2 cable has slightly less "air" in the soundstage and slightly less micro-detailing than my Norne Silvergarde cable, but I much prefer the more full-bodied and more musically neutral sound of my Susvara when I use the Forza Noir copper-based cable.

Jeff.

Aug 8, 2021 at 1:27 AM Post #10,342 of 25,592
I have an Empyrean and Arya V2. Wondering the benefits I would get upgrading to the Susvara? I will be driving them out of the XLRs in the back of the TT2.

Hows the sound stage in comparison? Also do they take EQ well like the Arya’s? Normally I add a few DB low shelf filter.

Aug 8, 2021 at 6:10 AM Post #10,343 of 25,592
I have an Empyrean and Arya V2. Wondering the benefits I would get upgrading to the Susvara? I will be driving them out of the XLRs in the back of the TT2.

Hows the sound stage in comparison? Also do they take EQ well like the Arya’s? Normally I add a few DB low shelf filter.
If you haven’t already please put “empyrean” in the search bar at the top of this page.
It will save me and others posting and reading the same views again and again (including mine)

:)

Aug 8, 2021 at 10:20 AM Post #10,344 of 25,592
If you haven’t already please put “empyrean” in the search bar at the top of this page.
It will save me and others posting and reading the same views again and again (including mine)

:)
Thanks. Already did that. Also wanted to know thoughts on Arya. I can’t audition the Susvara so would like any help before plunking down 4.5k thanks. :)

Aug 8, 2021 at 10:26 AM Post #10,345 of 25,592
I can’t audition the Susvara so would like any help before plunking down 4.5k thanks. :)
I haven't heard Arya yet, but Emyrean is rounder, thicker, warmer and less resolving than Susvara, which in that sense is more balanced and even. That's the rough guideline.

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Aug 8, 2021 at 10:37 AM Post #10,346 of 25,592
This is a fantastic review, simorag. 99% matches my feelings with the two, but better said than I could.

This statement really resonated: "I would venture to say that as the Susvara are exceptional headphones, the AB-1266, while being less honed out tonally, are able to transcend headphones listening experience in a way."

Last edited:
Aug 8, 2021 at 12:41 PM Post #10,347 of 25,592
Using LP6 Platinum as the DAC Source for the Susvara through Bakoon. Susvara scales very well with whatever you throw at it, reaching new levels of performance. Best I’ve heard yet and will be sad to see LP6 go.

Time to buckle down with P6 Pro until LP7 is released.

49746273-F351-4B03-9ADE-CE9DA92ACD3A.jpeg

Aug 8, 2021 at 6:35 PM Post #10,348 of 25,592
This is meant for the speaker-amp-for-the-Susvara enthusiasts who read this forum, I saw this discussion of Joe Skubinski of JPS Labs and crew, and I thought I should post it here for what its worth, since many Susvara owners prefer speaker amps.

Not trying to be alarmist, start some feud, or even dissuade anyone from loving or using their speaker amps for headphones (it's not as if I could, even if I wanted to). It's just that there are some subtle and nuanced caveats mentioned in the discussion of which I wish I had been fully aware when I dabbled in speaker amps a few years ago in the hopes of optimizing the sonic performance of my OG He-6. To be candid, my experimentation with Speaker amps for that He-6 never went very far,. I also never had any accidents, but I am back to using exclusively HP amps with my HPs, so no personal concerns here, either way.

I am just posting this discussion here, in case someone else might find it useful. They also discuss the limitations of the "mo powa" = better performance" myth :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Last edited:
Aug 8, 2021 at 7:13 PM Post #10,349 of 25,592
different strokes for different folks!!!

Aug 8, 2021 at 7:50 PM Post #10,350 of 25,592
This is meant for the speaker-amp-for-the-Susvara enthusiasts who read this forum, I saw this discussion of Joe Skubinski of JPS Labs and crew, and I thought I should post it here for what its worth, since many Susvara owners prefer speaker amps.

Not trying to be alarmist, start some feud, or even dissuade anyone from loving or using their speaker amps for headphones (it's not as if I could, even if I wanted to). It's just that there are some subtle and nuanced caveats mentioned in the discussion of which I wish I had been folly aware when I dabbled in speaker amps a few years ago in the hopes of optimizing the sonic performance of my OG He-6. To be candid, my experimentation with Speaker amps for that He-6 never went very far,. I also never had any accidents, but I am back to using exclusively HP amps with my HPs, so no personal concerns here, either way.

I am just posting this discussion here, in case someone else might find it useful. They also discuss the limitations of the "mo powa" = better performance" myth :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

I got about two minutes into it before deciding not to waste any more of my time. As far as I know, JPS sells headphone amps, not speaker amps. Just sayin'...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back