HiFiMan Introduces New HE-500 Planar Magnetic Headphones
Dec 11, 2011 at 10:54 PM Post #916 of 1,779
IMO once you get a hi-fi headphone upgrading amp, transport and DAC is definitely worthwhile.  You can change headphones a million times but still have the same bottleneck in your system - this is not commenting on any particular component as I have tried only a handful.

Having said this you probably don't want to spend big money building a system with synergy around a headphone you will later sell, which can be a problem with some headphones... 

Not sure if this is going anywhere but someday I want to try HE-6 (which people use 16 Watts on) and my amp puts out 8 watts, but if I had a 16 Watt amp it would probably be unusable with most headphones...

IMO a system with 2-10 Watts, and a gain switch has enough flexibility to be usable with most headphones available on the market including most orthos.

Please excuse me thinking aloud there.

Dec 12, 2011 at 1:59 AM Post #917 of 1,779
Ordered these on Friday the 9th from Head-Direct and received them today :O Brilliant service. Build quality is surprisingly nice and comfort is good for such a heavy set of cans which is a bonus. Came with the extra pads and silver cable which though functional is already annoying me a bit.

Dec 12, 2011 at 2:19 AM Post #918 of 1,779
In what way ?

Dec 12, 2011 at 2:33 AM Post #919 of 1,779
It doesn't flow, it's semi-stiff in a plasticy sort of way which makes it hang akwardly and get in the way (brush against my neck / shoulders). It also has a flimsy look to it which I find fairly unattactive.

Dec 12, 2011 at 3:06 AM Post #920 of 1,779
Sounds virtually the opposite to my TWag

Dec 12, 2011 at 10:09 AM Post #921 of 1,779

Quote:
Question for the Hifiman vets. I've owned the HE4 (which I ABSOLUTELY loved). I actually thought it was a sonically superior headphone to the D7000 (though I preferred the fun coloration of the D7000).
My question is, of the Hifimans, which one has the most sub bass presence? I was quite pleased with the HE4's bass, but would prefer more sub bass presence for movies and games. I would consider the HE500, if it had stronger bass in that area, and hopefully similar sound. I know the HE300 has bass prominence, but I also don't like what I've read about it's sound signature.
What would you consider the HE500 to sound like (other brands)?
I ask because I know I could enjoy the HE500 off the E9 for now, while the other Hifimans need a severe amount of power (I wish I hadn't sold the Lyr).
I recently ordered the DT990 Pros (loved the DT990/600), but willing to return it for something else.
My options are limited, because I'm a velour pad man only, and comfort is a absolutely essential. This comes from a guy who doesn't find the D7000, or Premium Beyers all that comfortable (which is why I ordered the Pro model, which I do find comfy). The HE4 was very comfortable. I want open and sub bass heay-ish, without losing clarity. I'm sure I wouldn't like the HD650's laid back signature, so I'm hoping the HE500 fits the bill.

Based from your story, it seems you prefer a headphone with a V-shaped frequency response with sparkly treble and fun, punchy bass and therefore I think the HE500 is not suitable for your preference. Midrange is the HE500's strongest suit with a bright-ish treble and good clarity but sub-bass can be a bit lacking. 

If you really want to go the ortho way, the closed Fostex T50RP-based Thunderpants seems to be the way to go given your preferences. 

Dec 12, 2011 at 10:17 AM Post #922 of 1,779
Hmm, it's not like I'm looking for a massive dose of bass. I quite like the amount the DT990 has, and the HE4 was close to it, fwir/emember. I did think the HE500 wouldn't suit my style, which is why I didn't just up and buy it. I think the Thunderpants would probably have too much bass for me. How does it compare to the D7000 is terms of bass? I thought the D7000's sub bass was perfect if a little too much at times.

I'm not looking to mod or anything. I perfer to leave things stock, with the exception of maybe a pad roll.

I seriously would just buy the HE4 again, but then I'd have to buy an amp to bring it up to speed. Thanks for the input. :)

Dec 12, 2011 at 10:24 AM Post #923 of 1,779

Quote:
Hmm, it's not like I'm looking for a massive dose of bass. I quite like the amount the DT990 has, and the HE4 was close to it, fwir/emember. I did think the HE500 wouldn't suit my style, which is why I didn't just up and buy it. I think the Thunderpants would probably have too much bass for me. How does it compare to the D7000 is terms of bass? I thought the D7000's sub bass was perfect if a little too much at times.
I'm not looking to mod or anything. I perfer to leave things stock, with the exception of maybe a pad roll.
I seriously would just buy the HE4 again, but then I'd have to buy an amp to bring it up to speed. Thanks for the input.
smily_headphones1.gif

The bass on the HE500 is the best I have heard in any headphone. I own the D7000 and the HE500 has slam and deep bass and leaves me wanting for nothing. I have not heard the HE4  but this is a magical headphone IMO and should make anyone happy regarding its  bass output.

Dec 12, 2011 at 10:33 AM Post #924 of 1,779
yeap the bass is great..the thing about it is just the quality and quantity is just rite..not too much not too little..and its not Boomy like my DT990 600Ohms...the thing i love with the HE-500 is the mids..very very lovely esp when used with a Tube amp..imo

Dec 12, 2011 at 10:42 AM Post #925 of 1,779
Frank I,

I am glad to hear that you like the HE-500's. From our posts on audioasylum, I think you were waiting for the new silver cable. Did you ever get the silver cable? I am waiting for my q-audio cable to arrive. The silver cable is microphonic whenever it moves and I agree with Moghedian- the silver cable seems kinda cheesy for such a phenomenal set of 'phones.

Dec 12, 2011 at 11:07 AM Post #926 of 1,779

Quote:
Frank I,

I am glad to hear that you like the HE-500's. From our posts on audioasylum, I think you were waiting for the new silver cable. Did you ever get the silver cable? I am waiting for my q-audio cable to arrive. The silver cable is microphonic whenever it moves and I agree with Moghedian- the silver cable seems kinda cheesy for such a phenomenal set of 'phones.

I am not waiting on the silver as Fang sent the HE6 cable and I like it so I did not ask fang to send me the silver one. At my nmini meet I will have other cables  from Steve Eddy and Norse to try also.

Dec 12, 2011 at 11:55 AM Post #927 of 1,779
I have asked about mine and looks like it will also come with the silver cable.. Will have to wait until next week before I can test it. Hopefully the micro-phonics is not too bad, but then again that would be preferable to an unwieldy cable. The thick cable on the Grado RS1i is more often in the way than not and gets tangled very easily which is annoying. Looks at least like my HE-500 was obtained from a registered Head-Direct dealer in Beijing having the new cable and pads. Keph had me worried there for a while! 
biggrin.gif

Dec 12, 2011 at 12:44 PM Post #928 of 1,779
I hated the microphonic SA5000 cable, so recent comments do not bode well...

Dec 12, 2011 at 1:06 PM Post #930 of 1,779
Just talked to Headroom, they state that they expect the packages in tomorrow or Wednesday and will then start filling orders. Website still states "1 to 2 weeks."

I hope my order gets filled by this shipment...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back