= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
Nov 3, 2018 at 3:41 AM Post #20,296 of 21,175
Nov 3, 2018 at 11:09 PM Post #20,297 of 21,175
I am very pleased so far with my HiFiMAN HE-560 V2 that arrived from Adorama today. This is the version that is sold for $249.99 but coexists with apparently the same headphone sold by Adorama for $899 that appears on any search of their website.

The sound is consistent with what I remember from my HE-500, which I sold after buying the HE-6 and the HE-1000. It has some of the best subbass of my open headphones, and despite what some have reported, its treble is not overpowering, but smooth and refined.

Its headband is improved from the original HE-560 (this is the same as on the Sundara). The inner strap length is 8.6”, in response to a question here.

The material of the cups is gray and smooth, just like the HE-500, with none of the wood of the HE-560 original. I love the orange flashes of color that distinguish this Adorama (and Newegg) version of the Version 2. It comes with both balanced and single ended 6 foot cables, with flexible cloth wrap reminiscent of the HE-1000 (rather than the stiff clear plastic enclosed silver strand of the HE-500). It comes in a great cardboard black and orange box with cloth lined contoured interior.

8698A83E-91CD-4506-A952-5207F51B5BBF.jpeg

Nov 4, 2018 at 11:25 PM Post #20,299 of 21,175
Should do, but to moderate levels at most: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/hif...cussion-thread.711824/page-1349#post-14529265. With 0dB recorded track you could get peaks of over 100dB of loudness, but we're not listening to perfect sine-waves or test signals here, so with normally compressed music recorded to about -1dB, that's probably an average loudness of 80-85dB, which should be acceptable. However, not sure you'll love the THD of the Pioneer, given the fact that you'll probably run it at full volume most of the time.

Nov 5, 2018 at 10:00 AM Post #20,300 of 21,175
The sound is consistent with what I remember from my HE-500, which I sold after buying the HE-6 and the HE-1000. It has some of the best subbass of my open headphones, and despite what some have reported, its treble is not overpowering, but smooth and refined.

Consensus is that the treble of the 560 has a major and unpleasant peak. More than the Ananda, more than the 500, or the Sundara. I'm glad your version/equipment - whatever is pleasant. At that price it's better than the Sundara, and viable vs used 500's (not for me, but some). But soon the HE5se will debut, and then drop in price, and other HFM cans will drop in price (HEX V2 a much better can than the 560 is already down into the high $600's). The Ananda will drop, the HE-500 which has held firm for a couple of years will drop, and the HE6 appears to be dropping as well (even though it'll never be as cheap as your 560). Then the MD XX will drop and fill the market even more.

Exciting times for HFM fans on a budget... if the latest 560 is really a winner, even more market saturation!

Nov 5, 2018 at 2:20 PM Post #20,301 of 21,175
Consensus is that the treble of the 560 has a major and unpleasant peak. More than the Ananda, more than the 500, or the Sundara. I'm glad your version/equipment - whatever is pleasant. At that price it's better than the Sundara, and viable vs used 500's (not for me, but some). But soon the HE5se will debut, and then drop in price, and other HFM cans will drop in price (HEX V2 a much better can than the 560 is already down into the high $600's). The Ananda will drop, the HE-500 which has held firm for a couple of years will drop, and the HE6 appears to be dropping as well (even though it'll never be as cheap as your 560). Then the MD XX will drop and fill the market even more.

Exciting times for HFM fans on a budget... if the latest 560 is really a winner, even more market saturation!

So is that really a consensus? One might also argue that unfortunately for you didn't find the right equipment to pair with the HE560.....

The truth is probably somewhere in between but after following this thread for quite some time I don't see this concensus. It's more likely that they don't suit your preferences (as you also said yourself).

Nov 5, 2018 at 2:50 PM Post #20,302 of 21,175
So is that really a consensus? One might also argue that unfortunately for you didn't find the right equipment to pair with the HE560.....

The truth is probably somewhere in between but after following this thread for quite some time I don't see this concensus. It's more likely that they don't suit your preferences (as you also said yourself).

Not my consensus, the consensus of the posters here who have opined on the 560 (beyond just this thread). I'd say at least 2/3 find the treble spike obvious and if not disqualifying, then a big negative. It seems almost a fact around here, like the Senn HD-600 has a quick bass, but doesn't really do much under 75 Hz. Or LCD-2's have a laid back feeling from mids->lower treble. By all means maintain your own opinion. But for you to presume my opinion is based on faulty/mismatched components without asking doesn't seem like an attempt at an open discussion.

I'm holding out hope that the latest version of the 560 has been fixed (treble spike) for everyone's sake. I'm glad you like them. I haven't heard the latest version, but the original - and on some solid equipment - both tubed and solid state.

Take care.

Nov 5, 2018 at 3:12 PM Post #20,303 of 21,175
Not my consensus, the consensus of the posters here who have opined on the 560 (beyond just this thread). I'd say at least 2/3 find the treble spike obvious and if not disqualifying, then a big negative. It seems almost a fact around here, like the Senn HD-600 has a quick bass, but doesn't really do much under 75 Hz. Or LCD-2's have a laid back feeling from mids->lower treble. By all means maintain your own opinion. But for you to presume my opinion is based on faulty/mismatched components without asking doesn't seem like an attempt at an open discussion.

I'm holding out hope that the latest version of the 560 has been fixed (treble spike) for everyone's sake. I'm glad you like them. I haven't heard the latest version, but the original - and on some solid equipment - both tubed and solid state.

Take care.

Sorry mate but I've been following this thread as well and like I said I don't see that concensus and would most definitely not agree that 2/3 of the posters here have a problem with them. I don't think that we're going to agree on this but for new readers I'd like to make clear that your opinion is not the only one and certainly not a fact.

Peace out :)

Nov 5, 2018 at 3:40 PM Post #20,304 of 21,175
Would it be possible to drive these headphones with a Pioneer XPD-30R in balanced mode? I believe the output would be 150 mW per channel.

I will be re-united with my headphone amp in April.

It works fine with XDP-300R. I also have the Onkyo DP-S1 and it was fine with balanced mode. It does, IMHO, sound a little better if you plug the DAP into an amp and use the HE560 though.

Nov 5, 2018 at 4:00 PM Post #20,305 of 21,175
Sorry mate but I've been following this thread as well and like I said I don't see that concensus and would most definitely not agree that 2/3 of the posters here have a problem with them. I don't think that we're going to agree on this but for new readers I'd like to make clear that your opinion is not the only one and certainly not a fact.

Peace out :)

Back at you, have a good one.

Nov 5, 2018 at 4:06 PM Post #20,306 of 21,175
I'm holding out hope that the latest version of the 560 has been fixed (treble spike)...

I don't recall seeing this characteristic of the HE-560 referred to as a "treble spike" (as in something that shows up on an FR graph) so much as I see people describing the HE-560 as a "bright" headphone at the upper end, which is a little different. If there was a harsh high-frequency peak on the HE-560 relative to the Sundara or the HE-500, I would expect it to be visible on objective measurements (see embedded links).

That being said, I have read anecdotal reports that the v2 and v3 have less harsh/bright treble than the v1 and v1.5, but as far as I'm aware there are no good, objective measurements of these new versions, yet. So no way to know for sure. I'm hoping someone posts measurements soon!

Nov 5, 2018 at 4:13 PM Post #20,307 of 21,175
I don't recall seeing this characteristic of the HE-560 referred to as a "treble spike" (as in something that shows up on an FR graph) so much as I see people describing the HE-560 as a "bright" headphone at the upper end, which is a little different. If there was a harsh high-frequency peak on the HE-560 relative to the Sundara or the HE-500, I would expect it to be visible on objective measurements (see embedded links).

That being said, I have read anecdotal reports that the v2 and v3 have less harsh/bright treble than the v1 and v1.5, but as far as I'm aware there are no good, objective measurements of these new versions, yet. So no way to know for sure. I'm hoping someone posts measurements soon!

Typical for HFM there is usually ringing w/ peak. HE4, HE6, HE500, Ananda, Sundara, 400i, 4XX. Several of those are annoying to me, and others are pleasing or not so bad.

Interesting that the later revs have that reputation. At the prices those are closing out on makes them very viable over the 4* and Sundara.

Nov 5, 2018 at 5:10 PM Post #20,308 of 21,175
Typical for HFM there is usually ringing w/ peak. HE4, HE6, HE500, Ananda, Sundara, 400i, 4XX. Several of those are annoying to me, and others are pleasing or not so bad.

Ah, I see what you're saying. It's just that I don't see any evidence on the measurements of the HE-560 being any worse than the Sundara or the HE-500 (as mentioned previously) when it comes to high-frequency peaks. I have not heard these side-by-side, myself, so unable to comment on subjective comparison.

Interesting that the later revs have that reputation. At the prices those are closing out on makes them very viable over the 4* and Sundara.

It really does. Again: I'd love to see someone measure these against the v1 and/or v1.5. I've also heard some report that the bass impact is slightly lower on the v2 and v3 when compared to the v1, but I remain decidedly skeptical. When I received mine, I'll admit that my initial reaction was slight disappointment with the low-end bass, but after a week or two of break-in/my brain adjusting, I honestly can't see how anyone could make that complaint, anymore. They hit harder than my other cans. My ears were just expecting the distortion/slower response they were used to.

Nov 5, 2018 at 11:51 PM Post #20,310 of 21,175

I must insist..no treble peak on my HE-560 V2. I assert this as a result of listening to some Dixieland jazz, then switching to my Grado GH-1 with G Cush (I.e., over ear), and finding the Grados far more bright (and more pleasantly so). I find I prefer those Grados for jazz (and I presume, all acoustic music), while I prefer the HE-560 V2 for electronic or synthetic music. Still early in my journey with the HE-560s, as I only got them two days ago, but that is how it seems so far.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back