= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
Oct 4, 2018 at 4:35 PM Post #20,221 of 21,171
Did you just buy a metal grill mesh and cut them to size?
Do you remember from the top of your head how thick the stock grill was?
sorry for the late reply, and didn't have time to get on-line.
The stock/original grills are 0.75mm thick. I did buy a metal grill and just cut them to size, used wire snips to get a rough cut and used a Dremel to make final size.
This is what I used:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00F3FJYSQ/ref=psdc_15709501_t4_B00F3FJWQK

and

https://www.amazon.com/CCG-Perforat..._rd_t=40701&psc=1&refRID=MX529M4J3JYNZ4ZVFNNB

Note that this grill material is thicker than the stock grill so you can't use the retaining rings to hold them in place unless you feather the edges a bit, which I didn't do since it made the grills a bit too soft on the edges to me.

Oct 4, 2018 at 6:13 PM Post #20,222 of 21,171
Did you just buy a metal grill mesh and cut them to size?
Do you remember from the top of your head how thick the stock grill was?

If you're going to remove/replace the grill cover, just be EXTREMELY careful when you do, because as soon as you remove the plastic retention ring, the internal magnets will try to - very strongly - pull the edge of the metal grill straight into the thin foil driver material and you could wind up with a punctured driver. I only avoided this by luck the first time I removed them.

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2018 at 6:27 PM Post #20,223 of 21,171
If you're going to remove/replace the grill cover, just be EXTREMELY careful when you do, because as soon as you remove the plastic retention ring, the internal magnets will try to - very strongly - pull the edge of the metal grill straight into the thin foil driver material and you could wind up with a punctured driver. I only avoided this by luck the first time I removed them.

That's exactly what happened to mine. With some force I managed to detach from driver. Nothing went wring (I guess). Anyway, that phone is no longer with me. I got a replacement from hifiman due to subbass rattle.

Oct 5, 2018 at 8:33 AM Post #20,224 of 21,171
sorry for the late reply, and didn't have time to get on-line.
The stock/original grills are 0.75mm thick. I did buy a metal grill and just cut them to size, used wire snips to get a rough cut and used a Dremel to make final size.
This is what I used:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00F3FJYSQ/ref=psdc_15709501_t4_B00F3FJWQK

and

https://www.amazon.com/CCG-Perforat..._rd_t=40701&psc=1&refRID=MX529M4J3JYNZ4ZVFNNB

Note that this grill material is thicker than the stock grill so you can't use the retaining rings to hold them in place unless you feather the edges a bit, which I didn't do since it made the grills a bit too soft on the edges to me.

No worries, the beauty of these message boards is that we're free to reply when we feel like it/have the time:)
Thanks for the measurements, great help.
I looks like the latest "v3" HE-560 uses the same grill as the earlier versions.

I was actually thinking of maybe getting someone like Laserboost.com to laser cut something from aluminium for me.
Then I can go crazy with the design, put my initials on there or something.

Hope they do 0,75mm thick plates, otherwise I might have to improvise.

That does give me a touch of cold sweat.
Would it be safer to just dismantle the cups and take the driver out before fiddling with the grill?

Oct 5, 2018 at 3:29 PM Post #20,225 of 21,171
That does give me a touch of cold sweat.
Would it be safer to just dismantle the cups and take the driver out before fiddling with the grill?

As long as you plan ahead you're careful and rig up something to hold the grill away from the driver once it's free (perhaps paper clips through the grill holes or something), I think you'll be fine. But as far as dismantling the cups: I have not done this so I'm not sure if that would be wiser or not.

Oct 8, 2018 at 12:06 AM Post #20,226 of 21,171
I'm really enjoying the sound of these on my Lyr 2, as well. I'm currently rolling 1970s Czech NOS Tesla Rožnov E88CC tubes in mine. I've also got the LISST tubes, but those haven't been as exciting. Which Mullards are you using along with the HE560?
E88CC from the early 1960s and E180CC pinched waists from 1959 (the latter is a 12AT7 equivalent so it needs an adapter for the Lyr).

Oct 8, 2018 at 12:38 PM Post #20,227 of 21,171
I just picked up my first HifiMan HE-560 v3s. I wanted to find out if there are any source portable audio players that have enough juice to use these with, and sound fantastic.

I am mobile alot, so thats why i ask about an audio player, as my source on for mobile is note 8 and ipad. I hooked them up to my co-workers tube desktop amp, and wow, they sounded awesome.

Oct 8, 2018 at 1:47 PM Post #20,228 of 21,171
I just picked up my first HifiMan HE-560 v3s. I wanted to find out if there are any source portable audio players that have enough juice to use these with, and sound fantastic.

I am mobile alot, so thats why i ask about an audio player, as my source on for mobile is note 8 and ipad. I hooked them up to my co-workers tube desktop amp, and wow, they sounded awesome.

Checkout the HIFIMAN SuperMini High-Res Portable Lightweight Sport Music Player, it easily drives my HE400i HPs and even comes with balanced IEMs.

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2018 at 2:31 PM Post #20,229 of 21,171

Well if you're looking for a DAP, I've got nothing.
But if you're looking for an amp for a portable source like your Note 8 or iPad, and your definition of portable means "just move with me around the house/office", I can easily recommend the Objective 2.
It's got 6-8 hours battery life and lots of power for planar magnetic headphones like the HE-560.
-it does take ages to fully charge though, and doesn't have a charge indicator, and it's a lot bulkier than other portable amps ...but it's got heart damnit!

Oct 8, 2018 at 4:23 PM Post #20,231 of 21,171

For use with your mobile devices, I had the Topping NX4 recommended to me for these exact purposes (portable amp/DAC suitable for driving planar magnetics). The reviews are excellent.

Oct 9, 2018 at 5:54 AM Post #20,232 of 21,171
Using this online calculator: http://www.digizoid.com/power.php
You can find the estimated power requirements of the HE-560 (45Ohms, 90dB SPL/mW)
Here's a screengrab of the results:

upload_2018-10-9_11-34-41.png

So you'll want an amp that puts out the required voltage, current and power.

Now I'm only using the O2 as an example because it's what I've got, not saying it's the best or anything.
The O2 puts out:
613 mW into a 35 Ohm load
355 mW into a 150 Ohm load
88 mW into a 600 Ohm load

The Topping NX4, as mentioned above, puts out:
293mW x2 into a 35 Ohm load
114 mW x2 into a 150 Ohm load
This seems to be a really good dac+amp and should drive the HE-560 well.
Lots of power and measures well.
With 28 hours playtime if only used as an amp and 7.5 hours if you also use the DAC!
And it's very affordable.
I want one, bad!

Oct 9, 2018 at 7:16 AM Post #20,233 of 21,171
Tyll has different measurements: https://www.innerfidelity.com/images/HiFiMANHE5602014.pdf, so 2.53mW @90dB, 25.3mW @100db, 253mW @110db, 2.53W @120db.

However, an amp able to drive them to 1W/channel or even more might help a lot. It's not about getting us deaf, it's more about drive-ability of the cans by the amplifier. To ensure a lower THD and a 110% compatibility, an amp able to output at least twice the max. output power your headphones need will be better (same applies to speakers too).

I've seen O2 amps with output buffers blown-away after driving planars, so not sure it's a recommend amp for HE-560, although it can drive them pretty well.

For planars I personally recommend headphone amplifiers having output transistors biased in class-A, if possible; of course, LME49860/BUF634 will work as well.

Oct 9, 2018 at 7:41 AM Post #20,234 of 21,171
Tyll has different measurements: https://www.innerfidelity.com/images/HiFiMANHE5602014.pdf, so 2.53mW @90dB, 25.3mW @100db, 253mW @110db, 2.53W @120db.

However, an amp able to drive them to 1W/channel or even more might help a lot. It's not about getting us deaf, it's more about drive-ability of the cans by the amplifier. To ensure a lower THD and a 110% compatibility, an amp able to output at least twice the max. output power your headphones need will be better (same applies to speakers too).

I've seen O2 amps with output buffers blown-away after driving planars, so not sure it's a recommend amp for HE-560, although it can drive them pretty well.

For planars I personally recommend headphone amplifiers having output transistors biased in class-A, if possible; of course, LME49860/BUF634 will work as well.

Neat, know of any portable amps capable of putting out that much?

Oct 9, 2018 at 9:12 AM Post #20,235 of 21,171
Neat, know of any portable amps capable of putting out that much?

The Geek Out V2+ has more than enough power for them and the matching is beautiful as well. I've seen them used on Finn.no for very decent prices several times... .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back