= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
Oct 9, 2018 at 9:45 AM Post #20,236 of 21,166
The Geek Out V2+ has more than enough power for them and the matching is beautiful as well. I've seen them used on Finn.no for very decent prices several times... .
That looks really nice, in fact there's one on Finn right now (it's not you, is it?!).
They only list the power output into a 16 Ohm load though, would have been nice to see that into different loads.
Maximum current output at 4 Volts at high gain, it seems. O2 does 7 Volts at high gain, if I'm not mistaken.

Oct 9, 2018 at 11:46 AM Post #20,237 of 21,166
That looks really nice, in fact there's one on Finn right now (it's not you, is it?!).
They only list the power output into a 16 Ohm load though, would have been nice to see that into different loads.
Maximum current output at 4 Volts at high gain, it seems. O2 does 7 Volts at high gain, if I'm not mistaken.

Ha ha, no it's not mine. My was a review unit from Larry Ho himself and I love it too much to ever let go of it mine is also the Infinity version but it's not a big difference and none in sound). Also I live in Lillestrøm :wink:

I think that I may have the output figures for other impedance somewhere from my review, I'll check it later when I'm back home.

You can check my profile for the headphones that I own and I can easily say that it powers them all without breaking any sweat (I'm only using it balanced) and is the best sounding portable device I've ever heard. I've actually been thinking about picking up a second one several times as I couldn't imagine living without one.......

Oct 9, 2018 at 2:16 PM Post #20,239 of 21,166
Oct 10, 2018 at 12:36 AM Post #20,240 of 21,166
I have Roland Mobile UA-M10, can I pair it with HE560? I know the HE560 comes 1/4" plug connector, but l do have the converter (1/4" -> 3.5mm) cable that came with Sennheiser HD650 about a decade ago. Besides the cable conversion, is the UA-M10 a good DAC and is it have enough Amps to drive HE560 cans? and how about the other cans like LCD-2 or LCD-3 (just wondering)?

Not sure someone replied to this one yet, so I'd say that ROLAND Mobile UA-M10 will drive HE-560, but definitely not to their full potential.
I estimate about 160-170mW @ 45-50 Ohms, that would be around 2.7 V RMS, which could drive these cans to moderate levels.
I will also test this combo in the next few days and post back.
Also, my review on UA-M10 here: https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/ro...sb-audio-interface.22058/reviews#review-17473.

Oct 10, 2018 at 5:07 AM Post #20,241 of 21,166
Got my HE-560 to the office today, where I keep my UA-M10 combo. Output power is OK'ish...especially if songs are delivered at -1 to 0 dB, but if it's at -3 dB or less, there's not enough gain. I was comfortable listening to ATB and AC/DC songs; bass is good, plenty enough, but this is normal for TPA6120A output buffer to deliver a good punch, so quite a beefy output stage, even it's under-voltage'd.

However, I estimate that Objective2 will deliver about 2.5 times more power then UA-M10 (about 450mW instead of 170mW), so if you can test this it would be better. However, like I said before, a couple of guys have blown NJM4556 opamps inside their O2 after listening to HE-400 or HE-500 (can't remember the exact cans, sorry), so I'm not sure why this was happening. Maybe I'll open up my O2's case these days and drive my HE-560 with high levels, then check if both NJM4556 are heating up or not.

L.E.: Found the page with the pic here: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/jds...inside-question-regarding-replacement.736374/ and the reply from JDS-Labs down the page:
"From what I have been told, it is because my HE-400's were doubling the output current specifications of the op-amps. I bought a used Schiit Asgard 2 off of eBay to replace it.
John from JDS kindly replied to my email and said that I should replace both op-amps at the same time and monitor the temperature of the amp for a few minutes before connecting headphones to it. Other than that, it should be fine."

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2018 at 9:10 AM Post #20,242 of 21,166
Interesting!
I did find a portable amp capable of powering a nuclear submarine, though:
The iFi DSD Black Label.
Holy moley that thing pumps out up to 1.5 Watts into a 64 Ohm load!

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2018 at 10:30 AM Post #20,245 of 21,166
"From what I have been told, it is because my HE-400's were doubling the output current specifications of the op-amps. I bought a used Schiit Asgard 2 off of eBay to replace it.
John from JDS kindly replied to my email and said that I should replace both op-amps at the same time and monitor the temperature of the amp for a few minutes before connecting headphones to it. Other than that, it should be fine."

Shees! Why would that happen? How does a headphone burn out the op amps?
I suppose this would mean the amp heats up while powering the headphones, so if it's cool; you're fine?
I've actually tried checking if the O2 gets hot, and so far it's kept cool no matter. Will remember to keep checking just to make sure.

Oct 10, 2018 at 11:03 AM Post #20,246 of 21,166
Hmm...who knows? Maybe volume was powered to the max. when inserting the headphones plug (it makes short-circuit when getting the jack plug in or out) or maybe there was something else. A similar story is also on diyaudio forum, but I think it was only one opamp blown away.

So in this moment are you driving HE-560 with your O2, case open, and opamps are cold or mild-warm? If so, please pump the volume up until you can't listen anymore, put the cans on the desk and let it warm-up for few minutes, then test opamp's temp with your finger, please.

Oct 10, 2018 at 11:53 AM Post #20,247 of 21,166
Interesting!
The iFi DSD Black Label.

That's probably a great unit. I had the original iDSD for a while and it was an amazing swiss army knife of an amp/dac. If you don't need a smaller device it's probably one of the better choices out there.

Oct 10, 2018 at 1:21 PM Post #20,248 of 21,166
Interesting!
The iFi DSD Black Label.

I absolutely love my Black Label! It just does everything and does it well. I end up using my BL with my 560 more than with my 28.38 because the pairing is just so nice.

Oct 10, 2018 at 5:45 PM Post #20,249 of 21,166
The iFi iDSD BL has no problem driving any of my cans, 560 included.

Oct 12, 2018 at 6:17 AM Post #20,250 of 21,166
So in this moment are you driving HE-560 with your O2, case open, and opamps are cold or mild-warm? If so, please pump the volume up until you can't listen anymore, put the cans on the desk and let it warm-up for few minutes, then test opamp's temp with your finger, please.

Well errr, I've just felt the case :ksc75smile:
I'm going to swap out the case soon, though, so I'll give it a feel when I do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back