= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
Sep 29, 2018 at 6:01 PM Post #20,191 of 21,171
Okay, I think I might have made an embarrassing mistake.

I've been using my new HE-560 with my O2 amp hooked up to my Macbook Pro and iPhone.
My O2 has 1x and 6.5x gain settings.
Earlier today I remember reading NwAvGuy's blog about the O2s maximum input voltage when running on battery power; 1.8V.
-2.5V on AC.

Here's the thing, I only had rattle/scratch noises when using my Mac set to full volume and the O2 set to 6.5X gain.

As far as I've been able to find out, the Mac jack outputs 2 Volts at max volume (I set my source to full by default and adjust with my amps).

I do believe I've simply been overloading my humble O2!
Idiot supreme over here.

Sure enough, lowering the volume on my Mac just 25% ensures distortion free listening.
-or indeed just leaving the amp "open" and using the volume control on the mac.

And to think I've contacted both Adorama and Hifiman, I have some apologies to make.:triportsad:

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2018 at 8:53 PM Post #20,192 of 21,171
I do believe I've simply been overloading my humble O2!
Idiot supreme over here.

Sure enough, lowering the volume on my Mac just 25% ensures distortion free listening.
-or indeed just leaving the amp "open" and using the volume control on the mac.

And to think I've contacted both Adorama and Hifiman, I have some apologies to make.:triportsad:

Better a little embarrassment than waiting and paying for shipment! Glad you figured it out, and this might help others.

Sep 30, 2018 at 11:42 AM Post #20,193 of 21,171
Better a little embarrassment than waiting and paying for shipment! Glad you figured it out, and this might help others.

Let's hope so :gs1000smile:

I've also contacted JDS about the issue, and they confirmed my theory that the amp was indeed clipping due to excessive load while running on batteries.
So there's that, problem solved!

And I'm glad, because I've had some time now to listen to the HE-560 and I quite like them.
Juuust a bit too sharp sometimes somewhere in the higher frequencies at loud volumes.
But the flipside of this is that they also sound delightfully energetic and detailed, so I'm looking forward to spending more time with these.

Sep 30, 2018 at 1:15 PM Post #20,195 of 21,171
Do you feel like the O2 has enough power for the 560’s?

Oh yes, easily to uncomfortable loudness. And after I sorted out the clipping, I can't hear any faults in the sound.
The O2 and Mac gets loud even at 1x gain, 6.5x drives it to painful loudness.
The iPhone needs 6.5x gain to get properly loud.

The O2 outputs 616mW into a 32Ohm load (the HE-560 is 45Ohm though) and according to NwAvGuy's blog it also puts out 7 Volts and reaches 200mA peak current, quite a lot more than this calculator estimates is needed based on the impedance (45Ohm) and sensitivity (90dB SPL/mW) of the HE-560.
From the calculator: To reach 115 dB SPL, it should theoretically need 315.84 mW, 83.78 mA and 3.77 Vrms .
So according to my ears and the rough calculations, I'd say the O2 should suffice :)

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2018 at 2:02 PM Post #20,196 of 21,171
Oh yes, easily to uncomfortable loudness. And after I sorted out the clipping, I can't hear any faults in the sound.
The O2 and Mac gets loud even at 1x gain, 6.5x drives it to painful loudness.
The iPhone needs 6.5x gain to get properly loud.

The O2 outputs 616mW into a 32Ohm load (the HE-560 is 45Ohm though) and according to NwAvGuy's blog it also puts out 7 Volts and reaches 200mA peak current, quite a lot more than this calculator estimates is needed based on the impedance (45Ohm) and sensitivity (90dB SPL/mW) of the HE-560.
From the calculator: To reach 115 dB SPL, it should theoretically need 315.84 mW, 83.78 mA and 3.77 Vrms .
So according to my ears and the rough calculations, I'd say the O2 should suffice :)
Agreed. The O2 drives the 560 just fine. They need more power than many modern headphones, but they're quite easily drivable by the O2. Wonderful headphones; if I could only have one pair of headphones, the 560 would be my choice.

Sep 30, 2018 at 3:08 PM Post #20,197 of 21,171
Hmm, I can actually max out the volume on them with my JDS Labs O2/ODAC and although it's louder than I'd listen too it's still listenable (source is LO from the Opus#1S).

Personally I've never liked the O2/HE560 pairing much as I find it to lack dynamics and warmth. They're both quite sterile in their nature and even with the quite dynamic and rich #1S connected it's still too thin sounding for my preferences. As always YMMV and probably will......

Sep 30, 2018 at 3:55 PM Post #20,198 of 21,171
Hmm, I can actually max out the volume on them with my JDS Labs O2/ODAC and although it's louder than I'd listen too it's still listenable (source is LO from the Opus#1S).

Personally I've never liked the O2/HE560 pairing much as I find it to lack dynamics and warmth. They're both quite sterile in their nature and even with the quite dynamic and rich #1S connected it's still too thin sounding for my preferences. As always YMMV and probably will......

Yeah I can definitely see the HE-560 pairing well with a warmer/richer amp.

Sep 30, 2018 at 4:03 PM Post #20,199 of 21,171
Yeah I can definitely see the HE-560 pairing well with a warmer/richer amp.

Yeah, my favorite pairing with them is probably balanced from the Nuforce HA-200 (I've got two of them as mono blocks) but they sound really good from the Project Ember and Burson Conductor V2+ as well.

Sep 30, 2018 at 4:18 PM Post #20,200 of 21,171
Yeah, my favorite pairing with them is probably balanced from the Nuforce HA-200 (I've got two of them as mono blocks) but they sound really good from the Project Ember and Burson Conductor V2+ as well.
Oooh, I've been wanting to build one of Garage 1217's amps for a while, now I might have an excuse!

Oct 1, 2018 at 1:01 AM Post #20,201 of 21,171
Oooh, I've been wanting to build one of Garage 1217's amps for a while, now I might have an excuse!
I wouldn't suggest building any of the Garage 1217 amps since they only come with a warranty if you buy it built, something to consider.

I have to agree with @peter123 about the O2, to me it wasn't an amp that I cared for since its a bit on the lean / dry side to me but some may like it depending on the headphone since a friend likes it with a HD650 (older black driver version). With my HE560 its quite bright, lacks dynamics and low end seems to be rolled off a bit to me. While the Ember is a pretty good amp I like the HE560 paired with either my Lyr2 or headphone jack of UD301 a bit better since the sound is a touch smoother and fuller to me.

Oct 1, 2018 at 5:13 AM Post #20,202 of 21,171
I wouldn't suggest building any of the Garage 1217 amps since they only come with a warranty if you buy it built, something to consider.

I have to agree with @peter123 about the O2, to me it wasn't an amp that I cared for since its a bit on the lean / dry side to me but some may like it depending on the headphone since a friend likes it with a HD650 (older black driver version). With my HE560 its quite bright, lacks dynamics and low end seems to be rolled off a bit to me. While the Ember is a pretty good amp I like the HE560 paired with either my Lyr2 or headphone jack of UD301 a bit better since the sound is a touch smoother and fuller to me.

I suppose it depends how into DIY one is. I'll take any excuse to build pretty much anything that has a decent manual.
Looking at the Ember manual, it looks simple enough. -I've already built and modified a Bottlehead Crack and built several keyboards so I'm not entirely green.

Now, I did not build my own O2, simply because... I didn't feel like it, sometimes I'm lazy.
But saving $50 by doing it myself, motivation enough.

But, moving on:
Anyone know if it's safe trying to bend the headband outwards a little?
I find the clamp on the HE-560 with the new metal Sundara headband is a little too strong for me.

Also, I really don't like the fabric on the face of the pads, it feels like cheap, hair-magnet crap. It also feels just a little bit itchy as I put it on. -and it smells like cheapo, plastic-wrapped dollar store merch, blech.
Definitely getting some nice leather pads down the line, Vesper Audio here I come!

Oct 2, 2018 at 3:48 AM Post #20,204 of 21,171
God damn', these headphones are growing on me by the minute!
Keep that brain burn in going, these headphones are the bomb:gs1000smile:
Even the missus has taken a liking to them.
-though I think she mostly just likes the fact that my massive Stax amp is no longer cramping the style of our hifi/book corner...
Anecdote to make you want to tear your hair off: the first thing she put on (in pure spite, naturally) while trying them on was lofi K-pop, kill me.

Oct 2, 2018 at 12:41 PM Post #20,205 of 21,171
When I want a richer sound with the HE-560 I use warm tubes in my Lyr 2. Heavenly. Vintage Mullards are the bee’s knees. Dutch tubes sound great with it too.

I'm really enjoying the sound of these on my Lyr 2, as well. I'm currently rolling 1970s Czech NOS Tesla Rožnov E88CC tubes in mine. I've also got the LISST tubes, but those haven't been as exciting. Which Mullards are you using along with the HE560?

Attachments

• upload_2018-10-2_10-34-20.png
    upload_2018-10-2_10-34-20.png
    89.6 KB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back