Help: Static Pops with HIFIMAN HE-560 Planar Headphones. What's up?
Mar 13, 2015 at 3:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

Gr8Desire

100+ Head-Fier
I took delivery of a new pair of HFIMAN HE-560 headphones yesterday. Nice construction and the sound is what I am looking for after auditioning the Beyerdynamic t1, Grado gs1000e and Sennheiser HD 800.  Planar headphones might just be the ticket for me!
darthsmile.gif

But I have one serious problem:
Moving my desk chair rapidly causes an intermittent but LOUD static pop to be created in the headphones.  

Normally the pop is on one side; occasionally you hear the pop in both ears. The SPL of the pop is always the same: about 70 db.  Needless to say: random static pops are can be quite jarring
huffy.gif

(FYI: Standard desk chair, soft rubber 'rollerblade' wheels, laminate floor on concrete, NO chair pad; it's just a desk chair in a home office)

I believe I have isolated the problem to my HE-560 headphones with the following test:

Test: Move desk chair rapidly back and forth about ten times.  

Here is what happens:

iMac + Oppo HA-1 Amp +  HE-560 = STATIC POP 
iPhone (on battery) + Oppo HA-1 Amp + HE-560 = STATIC POP
Oppo HA-1 (connected to nothing else) + HE-560  = STATIC POP
Audioengine D1 Amp + HE-560  =  STATIC POP

iMac + Oppo HA-1 Amp +  Beyerdynamic DT990 = No static pop 
Oppo HA-1 + Beyerdynamic DT990  =  No static pops
Audioengine D1 Amp + Beyerdynamic DT990  =  No static pops

Some other interesting data points:
HE-560 (connected to nothing else)  = No static pops

Oppo HA-1 (Volume 70%) + HE-560  =  STATIC POP
Oppo HA-1 (Volume 35%) + HE-560  =  STATIC POP
Oppo HA-1 (Volume 0%) + HE-560  =  STATIC POP
In all of the 3 cases above, the static pops occur at the same volume/SPL: about 70 dB.

My Questions:

Are my new HFIMAN HE-560 headphones defective?  
  or 
Is this a known behaviour with just the HE-560 and/or does it affect other planar headphones? 
  or 
Is the stock braided nylon/polyester cable to blame?

Can anyone explain what's going on?  Have you ever encountered such a strange set of pops?.  

I must decide on a return in a few days. If can eliminate the problem, I will keep the HE-560s.  
If not, I will be returning them. 
cry.gif

​

Mar 13, 2015 at 3:37 PM Post #3 of 20
I have the same problem frequently. I believe that the fabric surrounding the cable picks up a lot of static when it experiences friction and discharges the static through the drivers. A good way to prevent this is to keep one hand on the plug where it enters your amplifier. I have even experienced this effect with the amplifier turned off, to some degree but have not generated a enough static to get a discharge under that condition.

At any rate, if you touch the plug where it enters the amp, the charge will be displaced to your fingers, without shocking you, and you will not get a discharge from the drivers. To the best of my knowledge, this is not a very common problem, but my headphones have not been visibly or audibly damaged in any way by this electrical behavior and I like them a lot, so I decided not to inquire about returns.

Give this method a try and see if it's worth the minor inconvenience. If not, I would contact Hifiman or the dealer you purchased these headphones from and try to work with customer service to reach an agreement on how to proceed.

Mar 13, 2015 at 4:03 PM Post #4 of 20
Good question.  The static pops are easy to generate by moving the chair rapidly.
The disturbing part: Just sit down and do some work.  You will get a random static pop every 10 minutes or so.  Grrr. 

The desk chair has funky aftermarket upgrades: Inline skate wheels on a normal swivelling caster post.  Less wear on the floor but they could very well be the instigator.

Wooden chair + Oppo HA-1 Amp + HE-560 cans = No static pops     

Therefore, it is fair to say the HE-560 planar headphones don't like my desk chair (or me - not sure).
very_evil_smiley.gif

Of course, a previous test confirms:
Desk chair + Oppo HA-1 Amp + Beyerdynamic DT 990 dynamic cans No static pops

Also, I never heard these static pops with any of my other headphones.  
This pretty much confirms:  dynamic headphones don't have any issues with my desk chair.  
blink.gif

So before I try buying another $500 desk chair, it would be great to hear if anyone else has ever heard these bizarre static pops with planar headphones or event the HIFIMAN HE-560s.

Mar 13, 2015 at 4:07 PM Post #5 of 20
I sometimes get these creaky/crackly sounds from my HE560 also, but my chair is on carpet which picks up static easily.  Funny thing is my RE400 also picks up static easily, which is worse because when it does that it shocks my ear in addition to creating crackling sounds in the IEM.

Mar 13, 2015 at 4:31 PM Post #6 of 20
... At any rate, if you touch the plug where it enters the amp, the charge will be displaced to your fingers, without shocking you, and you will not get a discharge from the drivers. To the best of my knowledge, this is not a very common problem, but my headphones have not been visibly or audibly damaged in any way by this electrical behavior and I like them a lot, so I decided not to inquire about returns...

All good suggestions.

I have tried various grounding tricks including holding a wire connected to the grounding terminal on my amp which in turn is connected to the 3 prong power plug GND pin. Yep it's also zero Ω between chassis, GND and the TRS sleeve.  I even tested the wall outlet to ensure it was wired properly (again zero Ω between common and GND).  

I just tired your method. I can still induce the static pops but it seems to take longer to get the first pop. Same as holding the GND wire.  I guess the initial discharge helps but then the static finally builds up... and POP! 

It is fair to say: I have not isolated the HE-560 cable with its nylon or polyester mesh and unbalanced 1/4" stereo jack.

I have a friend with the older silver HE-500 cables.  Asking for a cable loan is probably in order.  Wish he had a balanced cable to loan me too. 

FWIW: Like you,  I want to keep these cans. So far the static pops don't seem to be destructive (to the headphones at least 
basshead.gif
).

Mar 16, 2015 at 9:10 PM Post #8 of 20
  Any news on your popping problem?

Problem solved!

The popping was static discharge and it certainly appears to be specific to planar headphones. It could be more prevalent to HIFIMAN HE-560 phones but I have no evidence. 

Here's what happened:

• I could consistently induce static pops with my HE-560 planars by moving my desk chair back and forth quickly. Then for a day, I could not induce the problem. A day later the pops returned.
  • Changing cables did not matter. Changing amps did not matter. But changing to a set of dynamic headphones stopped all pops. 
  • I almost returned my HE-560 phones, then I literally stumbled on the root problem:  It was my shoes. Their rubber soles could induce the static popping by keeping my feet on the floor and moving my desk chair.  Or as I finally discovered, just by rubbing my feet on the ground! The desk chair only helped the shoes generate a static charge. On the day where I had not static pops, I was wearing different shoes...  

The shoes went in the garbage and the static pops have never returned!

Cheers everyone.

Mar 16, 2015 at 9:22 PM Post #9 of 20
Huh. I'm quite surprised that this method worked and that your shoes seemed to be the root cause of the problem, as it does not seem to be the same in my case. However, it sounds like you are sure of yourself and if the popping has not returned, I see no reason to doubt your findings. I'm glad to hear that everything worked out for you. Happy listening.

Mar 16, 2015 at 10:54 PM Post #10 of 20
Yeah.  Shoes were not the solution I was expecting either.

I think these headphones are susceptible to static popping or plain old Electrostatic Discharge (ESD).

I found I can create electrostatic induction by rubbing the ear pad on a ballon. It works every time with my HE-560s but never with my  DT 990 dynamic cans. Try it when you are feeling brave.

Balloon and headphones rarely come together but I think it safe to say: ESD and HE-560 headphones will be fairly constant companions. Take some care and no problems.  I have some antistatic wrist straps lying around.  I am pretty sure they will stop the induced ESD but they aren't practical are they?

Hopefully I will get my hands on some other planar phones soon and see how they resist electrostatic induction.

Apr 6, 2015 at 5:42 PM Post #12 of 20
  I sometimes get these creaky/crackly sounds from my HE560 also, but my chair is on carpet which picks up static easily.  Funny thing is my RE400 also picks up static easily, which is worse because when it does that it shocks my ear in addition to creating crackling sounds in the IEM.

I have the RE400 model too. I walk around town with them (connected to my phone in my pocket) and hear frequent cracks and pops due to static electricity. I'd never heard this with other headphones so I thought the headphones were broken and sent them in for warranty repair. Needless to say the problem still exists with the replacement they sent.

I think the problem is with the nylon wrap on the lower part of the cable. It's great for keeping things from tangling but it constantly rubs against my clothing as I walk and it's very static-y.

Does anybody have any suggestions? I love how the headphones sound but the static electricity pops make them unlistenable when walking. I appreciate any responses in advance!

Apr 6, 2015 at 6:18 PM Post #13 of 20

I have the RE400 model too. I walk around town with them (connected to my phone in my pocket) and hear frequent cracks and pops due to static electricity. I'd never heard this with other headphones so I thought the headphones were broken and sent them in for warranty repair. Needless to say the problem still exists with the replacement they sent.

I think the problem is with the nylon wrap on the lower part of the cable. It's great for keeping things from tangling but it constantly rubs against my clothing as I walk and it's very static-y.

Does anybody have any suggestions? I love how the headphones sound but the static electricity pops make them unlistenable when walking. I appreciate any responses in advance!

I suspected the braided cables too.  A few weeks ago, I bought a set of smooth coated cables from Charleston Cables.  Nothing special.  Just smooth a casing and 20' long.

Good news: They sound the same (of course).

Bad news: I can still induce static pops in HE-560s by wearing certain shoes or rubbing my feet on a nylon carpet.  Rubbing either cable doesn't seem to directly create static pops.

Apr 6, 2015 at 9:14 PM Post #14 of 20

I suspected the braided cables too.  A few weeks ago, I bought a set of smooth coated cables from Charleston Cables.  Nothing special.  Just smooth a casing and 20' long.

Good news: They sound the same (of course).

Bad news: I can still induce static pops in HE-560s by wearing certain shoes or rubbing my feet on a nylon carpet.  Rubbing either cable doesn't seem to directly create static pops.

I only started thinking my problem was static electricity when I took off my jacket and the headphone cable clung to it and I heard many pops as the cable was sliding along the jacket.

I see that some places sell replacement cables for the RE-400. I might try one of those although looking at these headphones, it looks like the cables going into them are permanently attached. Not sure how to remove them. I'll post to the big RE-400 thread.

Apr 6, 2015 at 9:51 PM Post #15 of 20
Yeah, as far as I know, the RE-400 is hardwired, so you'd have to cut and strip the cable appropriately and solder the wires where they need to connect to the earphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back