**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Sep 21, 2014 at 5:53 PM Post #18,091 of 22,116
where do you live? i am surprised that the garage 1217 had restrictions about postal shipping in some country.....

Sep 21, 2014 at 6:10 PM Post #18,093 of 22,116
Venezuela, we have a really strict internet buying system, you can't even order from amazon, you need to contact with a company to buy online, then they send it here, they only work with amazon though, and i think newegg

ok i was ignorant of this restriction in venezuela......I am sorry ... i wish you will  buy the better amp for your he 400...

Sep 21, 2014 at 6:17 PM Post #18,096 of 22,116
Venezuela, we have a really strict internet buying system, you can't even order from amazon, you need to contact with a company to buy online, then they send it here, they only work with amazon though, and i think newegg

Maybe write to Jeremy and see what he says about sending an amp to you.
Search garage1217 for contact info.

BTW, I have a Sunrise III, actually two of them.. one at work, and one in the rotation here, I really like them, but getting a tube that you like can be time consuming, and really impact your budget. Same with the Ember.

If you try to see what  Jeremy says about shipping, consider the Polaris. It is what it is, no tube rolling and no op -amp rolling. It does have lots of settings to play with if you are so motivated (input impedance, output impedance, three different filter profiles). So you can play with the sound...

It really does do a good job for me with both the 400 and 400i.. as well as anything else I have plugged into it. It just sounds good!

If you care to get more info...there is lots more, PM me.

Sep 21, 2014 at 6:31 PM Post #18,097 of 22,116
Maybe write to Jeremy and see what he says about sending an amp to you.
Search garage1217 for contact info.

BTW, I have a Sunrise III, actually two of them.. one at work, and one in the rotation here, I really like them, but getting a tube that you like can be time consuming, and really impact your budget. Same with the Ember.

If you try to see what  Jeremy says about shipping, consider the Polaris. It is what it is, no tube rolling and no op -amp rolling.
It really does do a good job for me with both the 400 and 400i.. as well as anything else I have plugged into it. It just sounds good!

If you care to get more info...there is lots more, PM me.

Thanks a lot man! I'm still gathering information, if anything i will pm you, so thanks for the offer!

Sep 21, 2014 at 7:50 PM Post #18,098 of 22,116
I would say that this DAC is on the natural to warm side. It's not overly warm, the treble is just very smooth and refined so that gives a lack of harshness. Like others have said, I find myself really enjoying the music whilst the equipment gets out of the way with this little box, which is fantastic. It does drive my HE400s well but not particularly loud. They could really do with an amp between them to get the sound levels required for my musical needs.

Sounds similar to BM MK2,....natural with a dash of warmth.... but BM MK2 takes care of powering dynamic cans effortlessly as well. Microstreamer looks good by US$ prices...the old dollars to pounds price matching. I think it has a Ti chip.

Sep 21, 2014 at 7:52 PM Post #18,099 of 22,116
I'm not liking focuspads on he-400. The treble is smoother but the soundstage is smaller. And it sounds less airy and open. Am I crazy?

Nope, pad rolling is like tube rolling...they all have a sonic character that interacts with the can.

Sep 21, 2014 at 9:12 PM Post #18,100 of 22,116
And how are the HM5's? and the K702's?

BTW, what's the easiest way to install the rings on third party earpads? And quite frankly, isn't dual-sided adhesive a better idea? The whole clipping stuff must hurt sealing and deep bass.

Sep 28, 2014 at 12:46 AM Post #18,103 of 22,116
Shure 1540 pads. People love them for the HE4, it should hopefully be good for the 400.

Sep 28, 2014 at 6:44 PM Post #18,105 of 22,116
Does anyone have an HE400 they would like trade for a Project Starlight tube amp + cash? If so, please PM me, thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back