**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Sep 29, 2014 at 7:05 PM Post #18,112 of 22,116
So it seems that the he400 will retain a fair portion of it's following, mostly due to the special class of bass response that it offers over the 400i. My desire for more bass has waned over the past year or so. For me, the balance of the 400i and natural mids make it too compelling to pass up. But I can certainly see why the original remains popular.

beerchug.gif

Sep 29, 2014 at 7:43 PM Post #18,113 of 22,116
So it seems that the he400 will retain a fair portion of it's following, mostly due to the special class of bass response that it offers over the 400i. My desire for more bass has waned over the past year or so. For me, the balance of the 400i and natural mids make it too compelling to pass up. But I can certainly see why the original remains popular.

:beerchug:
Even more than the bass presentation, what makes them a keeper for me are their unique way of displaying 'texture' in sound. I couldn't imagine it before I heard it and you wouldn't understand until you've heard it. Do you know what I mean? Is it a planar thang?

Sep 29, 2014 at 7:56 PM Post #18,114 of 22,116

:beerchug:
yes better bass. Much larger sound stage and I think piano notes are more accurate. 400i piano notes are clean but a little bright.

Sep 30, 2014 at 1:54 AM Post #18,115 of 22,116

beerchug.gif

I don't think I'll be selling my HE400 anytime soon. They're both different enough to warrant having both IMO. HE-400 can't be beat when I'm looking for something visceral and energetic. 

Sep 30, 2014 at 5:50 AM Post #18,116 of 22,116
Oh dear god, the he-400 REALLY hates badly remastered and low quality recordings. Listening to low quality videos on youtube... god damn the treble is sharper than a razor, even on low volume. On good quality recordings, you feel like you are in heaven.

Sep 30, 2014 at 9:28 AM Post #18,119 of 22,116
One of the members here makes them. Just pm wje and he can help you. There are lot's of cable makers out there. Trevor at Norne Audio, Steve Eddy at Q Audio. They make flexible cables custom to your preferences. They are more expensive though. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back