**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Sep 30, 2014 at 12:39 PM Post #18,128 of 22,116
How do the Hifiman HE-400 compare to the PSB M4U-1? I have been trying to decide on a pair of headphones and having a very difficult time deciding on a pair. I started out researching the SoundMagic HP150 headphones then came across the PSB M4U 1 and I thought my decision was going to be the PSBs and now I came across the Hifiman HE-400. Can anyone help me out with my decision regarding these 3 models? 

Thank you,

Nomadtech

Sep 30, 2014 at 10:38 PM Post #18,130 of 22,116
I had a quick question because I was considering getting these as "beater orthos" for everyday use since they are basically selling very cheap in the used market. I use the HE-6 as my main headphone for critical listening and the Pro 900 for my daily beater cans that go everywhere with me. I was wondering if the HE-400's bass is as deep and commanding as the Pro 900s if anyone has both to compare? I know that out of all the Hifiman orthos the 400s are known for having the most bassy sound (quality and quantity) so I am pretty interested in that. Another reason I am interested in getting these since they are so cheap is that it seems almost a steal to get one for under $200 with the sound quality that it puts out even straight out of a computer or phone. I was planning on giving it out as a loaner to a lot of my friends who are curious about high performance headphones, but use $50 cans or think that the M50s are "high end." Would the HE-400s be a good "loaner headphone" to get people interested in audiophile type headphones as well as get them interested in non-conventional audio technology (ortho drivers vs. everything they have seen is dynamic)? 

Sep 30, 2014 at 11:05 PM Post #18,131 of 22,116
The Pro 900 does not have a ton of deep bass. It has an extremely potent mid bass which is very, very emphasized compared to everything else.

the HE400 is very linear in the bass, and yes, it will sound bass light in comparison to something like the Pro 900. You need to wean off the something as bass emphasized to understand what potent, yet accurate bass is supposed to sound like.

I say this as someone who has had both.

The HE400's bass is potent, but not basshead potent like the Pro 900. There is a difference.

Sep 30, 2014 at 11:41 PM Post #18,132 of 22,116
The Pro 900 does not have a ton of deep bass. It has an extremely potent mid bass which is very, very emphasized compared to everything else.

the HE400 is very linear in the bass, and yes, it will sound bass light in comparison to something like the Pro 900. You need to wean off the something as bass emphasized to understand what potent, yet accurate bass is supposed to sound like.

I say this as someone who has had both.

The HE400's bass is potent, but not basshead potent like the Pro 900. There is a difference.

As an HE-6 owner, I think I know what you're talking about when you say potent bass. The HE-6 in my opinion hit way way harder (but with less quantity - hopefully that makes sense to you) than the pro 900 and the quality is so much better in deep bass and texture that it's very obvious. I'd take the HE-6 bass any day over the Pro 900 even though I'm a basshead. I am wondering if the HE-400s come close to that. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back