**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Sep 16, 2014 at 3:25 PM Post #18,061 of 22,116

I'd indeed contact your seller or the local HiFiMan representative.  This isn't common for these headphones at all (mine have held up just fine for months now under heavy use). I have a feeling that there might be a few new units out there that aren't up to the usual HiFiMan standard. Warranty should cover this.

Sep 16, 2014 at 4:34 PM Post #18,062 of 22,116
When I buy something expensive like this, I don't mind to pay another $22 for additional 3yrs warranty. I know my HiFiMan HE-400 will be with me for couple of years so it is reasonable to spend another $22 for the additional warranty.

Sep 16, 2014 at 4:44 PM Post #18,063 of 22,116
22 $ is not expensive I wish I did to have a free cable replacement :rolleyes:

Sep 16, 2014 at 4:47 PM Post #18,064 of 22,116
Finally - Hello head-fi'ers!!
I have been lurking around the forum for a looong time now, and I'm considerably poorer for it... but my ears are happier!
I, after reading so many great reviews, have recently purchased the He400 and am absolutely loving it! I need better equipment, but for now my Nova n1 and topping nx1 will do, all bought thanks to you guys on here.
Anyway. I decided to try the grill mod and have magically managed to lose one of the retaining rings, and break a lug off the other. Maybe DIY isn't my 'bag baby'! Would anyone know where in I might be able to find replacements for them? If not, I will have to try my hand at some more awesome DIY and try to fashion a pair myself! Any help much appreciated.
Thanks in anticipation

Sep 16, 2014 at 4:49 PM Post #18,065 of 22,116
Yes $22.22 included of taxes and it covers $250-$300 electronic device and activate since the day it arrives at your front door.

Sep 16, 2014 at 9:05 PM Post #18,066 of 22,116
  I am getting really upset with these headphones. While they worked they were great and I loved them. The original cable I had from a little over a month ago broke within the first two weeks(connector piece fell apart). Then I decided to order a new one (60$) and it worked well again for a few days. Now this week the headset itself fell apart I used some loctite glue to put it back together but that only worked for about a day. This is really frustrating and the return period on amazon is over. What should I do now ? Heres a picture of where the headphones came apart. They really are in great shape it just looks bad because of the glue. Should I try to glue them again? Would contacting hifiman do anything ? They were bought brand new on amazon August 8th.

Yes, that is a build/warranty issue but in future try this, hook two fingers under or over the small cup when sliding the gimbals up or down. It takes all the pressure away from the joints.

Sep 16, 2014 at 10:02 PM Post #18,067 of 22,116
wow. that is extremely surprising. I've had mine for over a year or so without any problems.

Did both you guys buy from the same seller on amazon? You sound contact the seller, amazon, and hifiman. One of them will be able to help you for sure. If not, contact your credit card company and get a full refund. hahah. that is unacceptable!!

Sep 16, 2014 at 10:24 PM Post #18,068 of 22,116
  I am getting really upset with these headphones. While they worked they were great and I loved them. The original cable I had from a little over a month ago broke within the first two weeks(connector piece fell apart). Then I decided to order a new one (60$) and it worked well again for a few days. Now this week the headset itself fell apart I used some loctite glue to put it back together but that only worked for about a day. This is really frustrating and the return period on amazon is over. What should I do now ? Heres a picture of where the headphones came apart. They really are in great shape it just looks bad because of the glue. Should I try to glue them again? Would contacting hifiman do anything ? They were bought brand new on amazon August 8th.

Unfortunately you aren't the first that this has happened too.  That is by far the weak point in the HFM headphones.  Take a look on the HE6 thread and you will see a couple others with the same issue.

Here is one to get you started: http://www.head-fi.org/t/493214/hifiman-he-6-planar-magnetic-headphone/5370#post_8276570

My HE500's are solid there, but you can peek around with a flashlight and actually see yellowish glue there.  I sent pics to HFM asking about the glue and they said that they add it there now as a way to help reinforce the joint.

I'd contact them to see what they can do.  Even outside of warranty, they will repair them for you (maybe just shipping back/forth).  Still pretty pathetic QC if you ask me.

Sep 16, 2014 at 11:53 PM Post #18,069 of 22,116

Wow, that just came apart on it's own without any user abuse at all? I don't even know how that is possible (not accusing or anything of course!)

I've had my HE-400's for over a year now and they are basically in the same condition as the day I bought them.

Sep 17, 2014 at 12:37 AM Post #18,070 of 22,116
To be fair, both HE400s I owned both had questionable quality in that very area. I con totally see this happening over time.

Sep 17, 2014 at 2:15 AM Post #18,071 of 22,116
This part is just glued to the headband ?? not a screw ?

Sep 17, 2014 at 12:09 PM Post #18,073 of 22,116
Heh, I contacted Hifiman earlier this week about another product, the ES100, due to mine on delivery having something loose in the right ear bud which rattles when bass is present. Unfortunately, I had to ship them back to Hong Kong.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back