Hifiman HE-4 Impressions Thread
May 28, 2014 at 8:53 PM Post #2,132 of 4,142
  Velours. Might just be the particular amp or song I am listening to. I get pretty decent slam most of the time and the bass never ever seems insufficient. 

me too, I'm useing Beyer Velours my self 

May 28, 2014 at 9:43 PM Post #2,135 of 4,142
Ok noob question incoming! When they say the HE4 has magnets in one side, whats on the other?

Mechanical support, so the driver doesn't collapse in on itself due to the magnets.

May 28, 2014 at 9:43 PM Post #2,136 of 4,142
Ok noob question incoming! When they say the HE4 has magnets in one side, whats on the other?

Not magnets.
Sarcasm aside, HiFiMan includes what appears to be a small damper of some kind on the ear side of the driver.
It's varied from the HE-4's first release to new revisions, but currently, the damper looks like the spokes of a wagon wheel.

Edit: Ninja'd by Jerg.

May 29, 2014 at 10:33 AM Post #2,138 of 4,142
You guys need to remove the felt behind the drivers and see how you like it. I think it's made a great change to the sound of the HE4.

What does it do?

May 29, 2014 at 2:43 PM Post #2,141 of 4,142
Increase soundstage, better imaging, and takes some sssizzle out of the treble for a less recessed mid. Felt removal and dust cover removal I should say.

Original post is probably several pages back now.

I just tried this. I didn't notice too much difference, only that the sound was a bit more to the sides but to me it was less involving when I heard the singer.

May 29, 2014 at 2:49 PM Post #2,142 of 4,142
How did you remove the felt behind the driver?

To me it made quite a dramatic difference. Specifically in leveling the mids to the highs.

I just tried this. I didn't notice too much difference, only that the sound was a bit more to the sides but to me it was less involving when I heard the singer.

May 29, 2014 at 3:17 PM Post #2,143 of 4,142
How did you remove the felt behind the driver?

To me it made quite a dramatic difference. Specifically in leveling the mids to the highs.

Hmm maybe I misunderstood. I removed everything on the outside. Is there anything behind the ear pads?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back