Hifiman HE-4 Impressions Thread
May 28, 2014 at 10:04 AM Post #2,116 of 4,142
I agree. I more often use HE-4 instead of HD800 because of the bass quantity which is just perfect for me. The dark sound also appeals me, very smooth too. I prefer leather pads which make them less bright than the velour and SS amp makes them sound very energetic. They are certainly not hard too drive.

I have never tried (nor own) the pleather Hifiman pads, but I think you're the first one to comment on them paired with the HE-4. I am hoping the new Hifiman pads (when available) will not change the signature too much, but add some much need comfort for us with glasses.

As for my SS experience... My GCHA pushes the smack outta my HE-4, to head rattling levels. For a more laid back, musical approach, I like my EF-5 pairing. Somewhere in between would be my vintage NAD. If nothing else, I am super happy with the flexibility. I cannot say the same for many of my other headphones.

May 28, 2014 at 10:43 AM Post #2,117 of 4,142
I have never tried (nor own) the pleather Hifiman pads, but I think you're the first one to comment on them paired with the HE-4. I am hoping the new Hifiman pads (when available) will not change the signature too much, but add some much need comfort for us with glasses.

As for my SS experience... My GCHA pushes the smack outta my HE-4, to head rattling levels. For a more laid back, musical approach, I like my EF-5 pairing. Somewhere in between would be my vintage NAD. If nothing else, I am super happy with the flexibility. I cannot say the same for many of my other headphones.

My friend uses them as well and he also finds pleathers to be slightly warmer soundwise in comparison to velours... I will give them a try in a day or two as well (along with the DT990 pads).

May 28, 2014 at 10:45 AM Post #2,118 of 4,142
I agree. I more often use HE-4 instead of HD800 because of the bass quantity which is just perfect for me. The dark sound also appeals me, very smooth too. I prefer leather pads which make them less bright than the velour and SS amp makes them sound very energetic. They are certainly not hard too drive.

I would say that HE-4 is like a HD800 with deeper and more impactful bass and therefore feels subjectively slighly darker... The great thing is that the bass is absolutely tight (hello HE-500) and not overly hardhitting (hello HE-400). At the same time, I can understand while people call them slightly U-shaped... It's not like mids are not there but if you listen to music, subbass and that airy and detailed treble is what catches your attention. Mids are there, completely present and full-scale... But they are not lush like with LCD-2. But they are also not recessed like with D7000. Something in between - I would say subjectively dead-neutral, accurate.

Yes, tube amplifiers could work well... But I am personally not a fan of tubey sound. Therefore slightly warmer SS amp/DAC (like headamp and balanced pre outputs + slow DAC filtre of the DA8) work nicely as well. My observation is that their treble is absolutely great with darker AND neutral-sounding tracks... But with significantly distorted/compressed or overly bright-mastered ones, you will most probably notice the emphasis.

I like the airiness of the HE-4... Not as airy and spacious as HD800 but in comparison to every other ortho I have heard, they just offer a great soundstage! I haven't heard the HE-6 or Abyss though. And not planning to because after several years of high-end headphones listening, I found this special headphones... And I am completely happy and not feeling like missing anything. Seriously.

HD800 are still the best for me... But they get crushed in terms of price/performance ratio by the HE-4. So do many other headphones... if not all of them. And btw, comfort is very nice - that reduced weight makes them very comfortable for long-term listening... Including headband.

+ 1 +2 and +3

I like the HE 4 for it's bass, and I like the overally tactile nature of the sound, [espically out of my NFB 10ES2 balanced out] but I use Beyer Velours and a Solid State amp

still it's a great headphone and I too dont like how people call it U shaped

May 28, 2014 at 11:50 AM Post #2,120 of 4,142

I love how HE-4 sounds out of my Samson Meteor mic just slightly too bright at times. Sometimes I ask myself why am I spending so much on amps, dacs...The pleather pads are much softer and so they are much more comfortable.

May 28, 2014 at 12:46 PM Post #2,121 of 4,142

+ 1 +2 and +3

I like the HE 4 for it's bass, and I like the overally tactile nature of the sound, [espically out of my NFB 10ES2 balanced out] but I use Beyer Velours and a Solid State amp

still it's a great headphone and I too dont like how people call it U shaped

It only seems U shaped because there is a very small dip in the upper mids, still it is nowhere near as U shaped as something like the HE-400.

May 28, 2014 at 3:01 PM Post #2,123 of 4,142
  It only seems U shaped because there is a very small dip in the upper mids, still it is nowhere near as U shaped as something like the HE-400.

Dip in the upper mids? Really... hmm I suppose so... although I'm using a solid state so I doub't it's too noticeable. 

But the HE 4 is sonically an improved DT 880, which the DT 880 has been been described as u shaped...

either way it sounds a good! 

May 28, 2014 at 3:42 PM Post #2,124 of 4,142
Mine just came in the mail... 2 days early, thankfully.
First track was Alice in Chains' "Nutshell" from the MTV unplugged performance... Simply wonderful. Guitars sound so natural...

Impression thus far: Somewhat like my Grados, except lower instruments are represented much better, and "S" and "P" sounds aren't anywhere near as pronounced.

I'll be editing this post as my experience continues.

EDIT1: Just put on Weissenberg's performance of Debussy's "Golliwogg's Cakewalk". As a Pianist, the piano sounds spot on.
Next was Ron Nelson's "Rocky Point Holiday." Beautiful sound from the low instruments that was virtually nonexistent with the Grados.

EDIT2: Put on Nine Inch Nails' "Last." Very nice aggressive presentation without being overly aggressive.

EDIT3: "Mr. Self Destruct" by NIN. Literally nothing wrong with this track. The aggression is still there, but not overly so.

EDIT4: Venturing into the more electronic side now. Massive Attack's "Angel" is wonderful, bass being exceptionally controlled. "Bitch, Don't Kill my Vibe" by Kendrick Lamar is also impressive, with nothing sticking out and nothing left longing for.

EDIT5: Put on "Fight Fire with Fire" - Metallica. Holy hell, that thrash tho.

EDIT6: I put the Grados back on and restarted the list with "Nutshell." These don't have anywhere near the realistic factor that the HE-4 has. The sibilance and such doesn't allow me to turn the volume up enough to really enjoy many of the elements of the track without the pain of the high notes.

May 28, 2014 at 5:03 PM Post #2,125 of 4,142
The HE-4 has surprisingly un-sibilant treble for it being as forward as it is. I have only noticed significant sibilance on one particular recording with my HE-4s and that is Submotion Orchestra's album Finest Hour. I actually think part of it is intentional though it is a bit sibilant even on my monitors.
  Mine just came in the mail... 2 days early, thankfully.
First track was Alice in Chains' "Nutshell" from the MTV unplugged performance... Simply wonderful. Guitars sound so natural...

Impression thus far: Somewhat like my Grados, except lower instruments are represented much better, and "S" and "P" sounds aren't anywhere near as pronounced.

I'll be editing this post as my experience continues.

EDIT1: Just put on Weissenberg's performance of Debussy's "Golliwogg's Cakewalk". As a Pianist, the piano sounds spot on.
Next was Ron Nelson's "Rocky Point Holiday." Beautiful sound from the low instruments that was virtually nonexistent with the Grados.

EDIT2: Put on Nine Inch Nails' "Last." Very nice aggressive presentation without being overly aggressive.

EDIT3: "Mr. Self Destruct" by NIN. Literally nothing wrong with this track. The aggression is still there, but not overly so.

EDIT4: Venturing into the more electronic side now. Massive Attack's "Angel" is wonderful, bass being exceptionally controlled. "Bitch, Don't Kill my Vibe" by Kendrick Lamar is also impressive, with nothing sticking out and nothing left longing for.

EDIT5: Put on "Fight Fire with Fire" - Metallica. Holy hell, that thrash tho.

EDIT6: I put the Grados back on and restarted the list with "Nutshell." These don't have anywhere near the realistic factor that the HE-4 has. The sibilance and such doesn't allow me to turn the volume up enough to really enjoy many of the elements of the track without the pain of the high notes.

May 28, 2014 at 5:13 PM Post #2,126 of 4,142
  The HE-4 has surprisingly un-sibilant treble for it being as forward as it is. I have only noticed significant sibilance on one particular recording with my HE-4s and that is Submotion Orchestra's album Finest Hour. I actually think part of it is intentional though it is a bit sibilant even on my monitors.

There are a couple of small sections on some tracks where the forwardness is a bit too much, but it's nothing like on my SR225is. 
I'm noticing that everything is a lot more separated and clear on the HE-4 than on the SR225i... Is this the Planar Magnetics talking?

May 28, 2014 at 6:07 PM Post #2,127 of 4,142
  There are a couple of small sections on some tracks where the forwardness is a bit too much, but it's nothing like on my SR225is. 
I'm noticing that everything is a lot more separated and clear on the HE-4 than on the SR225i... Is this the Planar Magnetics talking?

Not, the planar-magnetic thing is (IME):

1) Bass (depth, linearity, tightness)
2) Timbre (just different from electrostats or dynamic drivers)
3) Cleanness (mids - voices in particular)

Though HE-4 are quite different as they have a quality amount of air, separation and soundstage... So these are not your typical super-smooth orthodynamic headphones with lush mids and lack of treble extension. Bass and overall timbre is there... But they are not so super-clean-sounding and intimate like typical orthodynamic headphones are.

May 28, 2014 at 8:23 PM Post #2,130 of 4,142
  They have that bass slam though.

Are you using Pleathers or the standard Velours?
The bass is really nice, but not really a slam like what you're describing.

EDIT: I think I just had my first "Headphones so good that they unmasked recording flaws" moment.
Right in the middle of "Ants of the Sky" by BTBAM, I head a rattling in the left earcup.
Immediately, I turned off the audio, then removed the left earpad to investigate.
Nothing caught my eye, so I put the pad back on, started the audio again, and heard the same thing in the same spot.
Then I had a really odd idea. I swapped the stereo channels, then backed the audio up to that spot again.
Lo and behold, the rattling switched to the right channel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back