Hifiman HE-4 Impressions Thread
May 29, 2014 at 3:56 PM Post #2,146 of 4,142
You'll have to take off the pads from the driver, which exposes screws. You take out all the screws and separate the cup from the driver. Not completely as there's the cable but enough to remove the felt without damaging it, helps to put the headphones on the table when you split the driver and cup instead of holding it. The felt is on there by sticky tack completely around the edges and also the center ring where the spikes are. If you do it carefully you'll be able to remove the felt without ripping it and thus being able to reverse the mod should come time to go back to stock form. Hemipowered007 was able to fully reverse his but opted to go back to without the felt. You DO NOT want to remove the felt from the grill side as it's tucked under the cup.

How do you remove it SAFELY? The star felt is TIGHTLY glued or something to the driver...

If you think the HE4 sounds like the HD800, try it with the mod.

May 29, 2014 at 4:17 PM Post #2,147 of 4,142
Thanks for detailed instructions Soundsgoodtome! Any idea why the felt is there in the first place?

May 29, 2014 at 4:47 PM Post #2,148 of 4,142
Thanks for detailed instructions Soundsgoodtome! Any idea why the felt is there in the first place?

Hifiman tuning lol. I think they wanted a headphone not too similar to the other phones, it's older double magnet cousin HE5-LE had the felt as well and maybe something that carried over which shouldn't have. Not sure but biggest difference is how hot the treble comes in and at times when things pick up could make things sound congested (the treble does).

May 29, 2014 at 5:17 PM Post #2,149 of 4,142

Hifiman tuning lol. I think they wanted a headphone not too similar to the other phones, it's older double magnet cousin HE5-LE had the felt as well and maybe something that carried over which shouldn't have. Not sure but biggest difference is how hot the treble comes in and at times when things pick up could make things sound congested (the treble does).

Ok, so I just did it and now I am testing it... But I am not so sure it's an improvement to be honest. Need more time though.

May 29, 2014 at 5:22 PM Post #2,150 of 4,142
Odd, it's substantial to my ears and towards the right direction but critical listening should be done in quiet times.

To me the instrument separation improvement makes it a must do specially for symphony pieces. Difference isn't huge on simpler music but it's still quite audible.

May 29, 2014 at 5:24 PM Post #2,151 of 4,142
Odd, it's substantial to my ears and towards the right direction but critical listening should be done in quiet times.

To me the instrument separation improvement makes it a must do specially for symphony pieces. Difference isn't huge on simpler music but it's still quite audible.

I was talking specifically about tonality or maybe timbre... Instrument separation is better, I agree.

EDIT: I will hopefully discuss something with Soundsgoodtome and then post my more developed impressions...

May 29, 2014 at 7:04 PM Post #2,152 of 4,142
Some more developed impressions...

I basically agree with Soundsgoodtome that removing the star felt and grill makes the headphone effortlessly open, improving on imaging and separation as well.

I also feel that without the star felt, HE-4 sound more clean in treble... Clean enough that I don't hear any edginess.

My concern about timbre was a mistake on my side - I accidentally removed felt circles I normally use inside each pad in order to make HE-4 sound more natural. Without them, the headphone just sounded little off (dull?) due to increased level of some treble frequencies... and airiness. Once I put the circles in place, HE-4 became slightly warmer and less airy again.

Testing the headphone with and without these DIY felt fillings, I don't hear any significant decrease of imaging or separation... Only the sense of openness is a bit worse due to less airy sound. On the other hand, I find the headphone simply more natural that way... Background is blacker, each instrument is contrasted a bit better.

I am looking forward to try Hifiman pleather and Beyer velour pads on them tomorrow... Will post a report for sure!

May 29, 2014 at 8:15 PM Post #2,153 of 4,142
Ive had the star felt BACK on for a few weeks now, i will be removing it again, i will try and post some pics, and ill also be able to see if i can tell the differences i thought i did the first time.

On a side note, This balanced cable i have is way to stiff for my tastes. I absolutely love the stock he4 cable, so, can i just chop the trs end off and solder an xlr on there? Or is there rewire work to do in the y split as well? Can anyone with wiring tips PM me please, dont have time to search around here at the moment.Thanks in advance, and glad to see the he4 club growing!

May 29, 2014 at 9:33 PM Post #2,154 of 4,142
  Ive had the star felt BACK on for a few weeks now, i will be removing it again, i will try and post some pics, and ill also be able to see if i can tell the differences i thought i did the first time.

On a side note, This balanced cable i have is way to stiff for my tastes. I absolutely love the stock he4 cable, so, can i just chop the trs end off and solder an xlr on there? Or is there rewire work to do in the y split as well? Can anyone with wiring tips PM me please, dont have time to search around here at the moment.Thanks in advance, and glad to see the he4 club growing!

I also like how our club is growing :3

May 29, 2014 at 10:09 PM Post #2,156 of 4,142
Originally Posted by hemipowered007 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Before you jack up a $85 cable let me know if you want a Neutrik 4 Pin XLR plug. Got a spare I can sell you for cheap

May 29, 2014 at 11:02 PM Post #2,157 of 4,142
I'm talking about using the stock he4 cable and making it into a balanced cable. Ill sell the $85 one.

May 30, 2014 at 12:23 AM Post #2,159 of 4,142
Just an FYI the newest version of the HE-4 which I have (The last production run of it from late 2013) does not have felt on the grill side of the driver besides a somewhat thin dust cover and the grill. 

May 30, 2014 at 1:19 AM Post #2,160 of 4,142
  Just an FYI the newest version of the HE-4 which I have (The last production run of it from late 2013) does not have felt on the grill side of the driver besides a somewhat thin dust cover and the grill. 

Go figure. Very interesting indeed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back