Hifiman HE-4 Impressions Thread
May 30, 2014 at 12:58 PM Post #2,161 of 4,142
Just an FYI the newest version of the HE-4 which I have (The last production run of it from late 2013) does not have felt on the grill side of the driver besides a somewhat thin dust cover and the grill. 

I picked mine up not too long ago (I guess it was last year!) from HeadAmp. I figure that had to be the latest version...

Mine is configured as follows (ear to grill):
velour pad with attched dust guard, open driver, magnet, star felt, grill

May 30, 2014 at 1:04 PM Post #2,162 of 4,142
I picked mine up not too long ago (I guess it was last year!) from HeadAmp. I figure that had to be the latest version...

Mine is configured as follows (ear to grill):
velour pad with attched dust guard, open driver, magnet, star felt, grill

This is the current version, I know it for sure (have been in contact with Hifiman). Version WITHOUT star felt is NOT the latest one, it's the OLDER one.

Btw, testing Beyer velours vs Hifiman pleathers vs Hifiman velours right now...

May 30, 2014 at 2:04 PM Post #2,163 of 4,142
GENERAL COMMENTARY:

Beyer velours
 - cold and Beyerish-sounding, not a good match
 - very comfortable, imaging considerably worse than Hifiman velours, considerably more closed-in soundstage in both width and depth (height is the same) in comparison to Hifiman velours

Hifiman velours
 - more natural-sounding than Beyer pads... quite similar but with no subjectively unnatural emphasis in treble region
 - quite comfortable after a while (more tough than the other pads but no sweating and becomes softer after a short warm-up time)

Hifiman pleathers
 - generally a bit warmer than Hifiman velours but difficult to call it "universally better"
 - quite comfortable but almost immediately cause sweating, subjectively feel a little shallower in comparison to Hifiman and Beyer velours

HIFIMAN VELOURS VS PLEATHERS:

BASS: Velours > Pleathers
 - velours offer a bit emphasised subbass which I find very nice

MIDS: Pleather > Velours
 - pleathers offer a more full midrange, making the overall sound more "colourful"

TREBLE: Pleather = Velours
 - pleathers are more forgiving and clean in treble, velours more clear, detailed and airy... choose your flavour

SOUNDSTAGE DIMENSIONALITY: Velours > Pleathers
 - due to more airiness and maybe toughness of velour pads, they provide slightly wider soundstage... in terms of depth, I would call both equal though there could be some miminal differences depending on the song you are listening to

DETAIL: Velours > Pleathers
 - because of more pronounced treble, velours offer a little bit more of the final detail... still, pleathers offer plenty of detail on their own

IMAGING: Pleathers > Velours
 - somewhat, pleathers offer considerably more accurate imaging...

BLACKNESS OF BACKGROUND: Pleathers > Velours
 - due to less airy treble and/or more solid imaging, pleathers are able to contrast every instrument or voice better

SENSE OF OPENNESS: Velours > Pleathers
 - while soundstage itself is in size more or less the same with both, the sense of openness is considerably better with velours)

(Note: As both pads come close to each other in all aspects, there are no >>> differences... just > ones :) )

I personally see both Hifiman velours and Hifiman pleathers as equal sound-wise... It just depends on what you want. On the other hand, the only thing I like about Beyer velours sound-wise are the circular fillings provided with the pads... They definitely have a potential to slightly decrease airiness without influencing imaging or decreasing sense of openness too much. So far, I may even prefer them to my DIY felt circles I have been using until now. :)

UPDATE: http://www.head-fi.org/t/522157/hifiman-he-4-impressions-thread/2340#post_10660348

May 30, 2014 at 2:06 PM Post #2,164 of 4,142
  GENERAL COMMENTARY:

Beyer velours
 - cold and Beyerish-sounding, not a good match
 - very comfortable, imaging considerably worse than Hifiman velours, considerably more closed-in soundstage in both width and depth (height is the same) in comparison to Hifiman velours

Hifiman velours
 - more natural-sounding than Beyer pads... quite similar but with no subjectively unnatural emphasis in treble region
 - quite comfortable after a while (more tough than the other pads but no sweating and becomes softer after a short warm-up time)

Hifiman pleathers
 - generally a bit warmer than Hifiman velours but difficult to call it "universally better"
 - quite comfortable but almost immediately cause sweating, subjectively feel a little shallower in comparison to Hifiman and Beyer velours

HIFIMAN VELOURS VS PLEATHERS:

BASS: Velours > Pleathers
 - velours offer a bit emphasised subbass which I find very nice

MIDS: Pleather > Velours
 - pleathers offer a more full midrange, making the overall sound more "colourful"

TREBLE: Pleather = Velours
 - pleathers are more forgiving and clean in treble, velours more clear, detailed and airy... choose your flavour

SOUNDSTAGE DIMENSIONALITY: Velours > Pleathers
 - due to more airiness and maybe toughness of velour pads, they provide slightly wider soundstage... in terms of depth, I would call both equal though there could be some miminal differences depending on the song you are listening to

DETAIL: Velours > Pleathers
 - because of more pronounced treble, velours offer a little bit more of the final detail... still, pleathers offer plenty of detail on their own

IMAGING: Pleathers > Velours
 - somewhat, pleathers offer considerably more accurate imaging...

BLACKNESS OF BACKGROUND: Pleathers > Velours
 - due to less airy treble and/or more solid imaging, pleathers are able to contrast every instrument or voice better

(Note: As both pads come close to each other in all aspects, there are no >>> differences... just > ones :) )

I personally see both Hifiman velours and Hifiman pleathers as equal sound-wise... It just depends on what you want. On the other hand, the only thing I like about Beyer velours sound-wise are the circular fillings provided with the pads... They definitely have a potential to slightly decrease airiness without influencing imaging or decreasing sense of openness too much. So far, I may even prefer them to my DIY felt circles I have been using until now. :)

lol dude you might have gotten the wrong Velours, there are two sets, the Velours for the DT 880 and the Velours for the DT 770, the DT 880 velours sound the same as the Hifiman... there is no differance, I've got them both with me

I have heard that the DT 770 velours sound BAD on the HE 4 

May 30, 2014 at 2:10 PM Post #2,165 of 4,142
  lol dude you might have gotten the wrong Velours, there are two sets, the Velours for the DT 880 and the Velours for the DT 770, the DT 880 velours sound the same as the Hifiman... there is no differance, I've got them both with me

I have heard that the DT 770 velours sound BAD on the HE 4 

I've got EDT 990 V velours and they do not sound the same as Hifiman velours (similar, not the same)... Sorry, feel free to disagree.

May 30, 2014 at 2:15 PM Post #2,166 of 4,142

I've got EDT 990 V velours and they do not sound the same as Hifiman velours (similar, not the same)... Sorry, feel free to disagree.

Huh actually our pads are different... mine do not have anything in the middle, the pads you have... appear to have some kind of like foam in the midst of the pad it self something... neato so remove that foam and they'll sound the same as the Hifiman Velours and be more comfy 

May 30, 2014 at 2:18 PM Post #2,167 of 4,142
  Huh actually our pads are different... mine do not have anything in the middle, the pads you have... appear to have some kind of like foam in the midst of the pad it self something... neato so remove that foam and they'll sound the same as the Hifiman Velours and be more comfy 

There is nothing in the pads... There is just a circular foam filling provided which you can use if you want.

With or without it, Beyer velours do not sound the same to the Hifiman velours to my ears... Deal with it.

May 30, 2014 at 2:26 PM Post #2,169 of 4,142
Has anyone tried the beyer pads that have that almost jersey or microsuede material?

Or has anyone tried washing the Hifiman velours to see if there's any sound differences (or at least comfort). My poor temples and bent glasses... woes me :cool:

I washed them but there was no difference in sound. All Hifiman velours I got were really hard, uncomfortable but the HE-300 which I traded had slightly thinner but very soft and comfortable pads, like HD5xx series by Sennheiser if you ever used them.

May 30, 2014 at 2:38 PM Post #2,170 of 4,142

There is nothing in the pads... There is just a circular foam filling provided which you can use if you want.

With or without it, Beyer velours do not sound the same to the Hifiman velours to my ears... Deal with it.

ooh gettin feisty, ok then my friend lol, oh and welcome to head fi 

still after listening to them both again, I do think he has a point. The Beyer Velours are softer and sit closer to your ears... I noticed a creamier sound with the Beyers... although the hifiman velours are noisy, move your head and they squeak 

imaging wise... I notice the Beyers have a better sense of direction, granted not as wide but for me more accurate and easier to track sounds, so they are not as wide but imagae better 

for the record I'm using the test tracks from Dr.Cheskys Headphone Demo Disc...

May 30, 2014 at 2:48 PM Post #2,172 of 4,142
  ooh gettin feisty, ok then my friend lol, oh and welcome to head fi 

still after listening to them both again, I do think he has a point. The Beyer Velours are softer and sit closer to your ears... I noticed a creamier sound with the Beyers... although the hifiman velours are noisy, move your head and they squeak 

Yes, they squeak, that's what we can both agree with! :)

I most probably prefer pleathers... But I am not finished with modding yet (so in the end, it may change in favor to Hifiman velours).

May 30, 2014 at 3:06 PM Post #2,173 of 4,142

Yes, they squeak, that's what we can both agree with! :)

I most probably prefer pleathers... But I am not finished with modding yet (so in the end, it may change in favor to Hifiman velours).

I updated my post again, I also agree the Beyers are not as wide, bit for me they did better with direction ques and changes in height and depth... using Chesky Ultimate DEMO disc 

May 30, 2014 at 3:19 PM Post #2,174 of 4,142
Honestly, I have put on the Beyer pads numerous times to directly compare with with the other two sets... But what immediately catches my attention is not soundstaging or imaging - it's the Beyerish flavour... it's like listening to the DT880 again. Of course, I am exaggerating a bit... But I just feel like the Hifiman's timbre is lost and there is some unnatural emphasis in treble which makes them sound... Beyerish.

That's why I am completely finished with the Beyer pads... I would love to love them as they are super-comfy... But it's simply not possible. Both Hifiman pads provide better results to my ears with the HE-4.

May 30, 2014 at 3:37 PM Post #2,175 of 4,142
  Honestly, I have put on the Beyer pads numerous times to directly compare with with the other two sets... But what immediately catches my attention is not soundstaging or imaging - it's the Beyerish flavour... it's like listening to the DT880 again. Of course, I am exaggerating a bit... But I just feel like the Hifiman's timbre is lost and there is some unnatural emphasis in treble which makes them sound... Beyerish.

That's why I am completely finished with the Beyer pads... I would love to love them as they are super-comfy... But it's simply not possible. Both Hifiman pads provide better results to my ears with the HE-4.

tee hee, I got the HE 4 as an upgrade to my DT 880

still it may be the pads offer a different slighty different colorations, I did notice the touch of extra sub bass on the Hifiman Velours, but it also threw direction cues and 3D imaging a bit for me :/ 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back