Hiby R6 Pro II (2023 Edition) - Launch, Hype, Thoughts & More
Mar 27, 2024 at 1:23 AM Post #1,546 of 1,902
Hello, have you received any reply regarding your message here?
I do not think so.

@Joe Bloggs would you be so kind to provide an accurate reply regarding that message about the digital filters? Do they work or not?
Can you also reply to @DonKarleon95 about Gain?

What about the few bugs in PEQ, as reported here?

@Joe Bloggs we are looking forward to your replies!
Thank you for your kind attention to these matters and I am humbled by the support of the community regarding the recent issue I faced on facebook.

Unfortunately I am not responsible for all aspects of engineering and have to defer to the wider team regarding these issues. I have forwarded the enquiries to them and am awaiting their reply.

Thank you again everyone for your patronage of HiBy, I will try to get the answers to you soon.

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Mar 27, 2024 at 1:49 AM Post #1,547 of 1,902
The on/off light does not work on the general PEQ, it does on the Hiby App.

Can I check with you what light you're referring to on this point?

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Mar 27, 2024 at 1:57 AM Post #1,548 of 1,902
@Joe Bloggs Also having issues logging in to Roon ARC getting something went wrong error any ideas ?
No idea, as Roon had not contacted us about their ongoing work in adding HiBy devices to their compatibility list. We have had a unit in their hands for evaluation purposes and for updating their app(s) since [not disclosing for their sake]

Mar 27, 2024 at 2:47 AM Post #1,549 of 1,902
While Hiby is solving the digital filter issue, I hasten to share a comparison of two products from Hiby.

Mr. "incomparable musicality" Hiby FC6 and Mr. "dark horse" (because I never heard AK chips) Hiby R6 Pro 2.

FC6 was auditioned in NOS mode, R6 Pro 2 was auditioned in class A, High gain mode. All plugins are disabled.

IEM - custom 6x BA IEM Snowy Prism (not to be confused with TANCHJIM PRISM! 😁), Van der hul (VDH) custom conductor cable.

Music in FLAC / hi-res. Accordingly bit perfect mode at the level of the whole OS.

20240327_114453.jpg

Low frequencies

In R6 Pro 2 the bass is massive, and the mid-bass is punchy where it needs to be. At the same time, the bass is generally technical and detailed. It is impossible to call the bass after the r-2r dry. Lower frequencies are rounded and due to the added massiveness and percussion seem slightly accentuated. It sounds universal both on electronic music and on live music with various instruments. To my subjective taste (!!!!) - Hiby's trademark bass coloration is what multi-driver technical BA iem needs.

In the FC6 the bass is softer and more emphasized in the mid bass. Low frequencies as well as in R6 Pro 2 seemed rounded, but not due to massiveness and percussiveness, but due to saturation (elevated by dB) of mid-bass and lower midrange. At the same time low frequencies do not turn into mush. Everything is quite technical and detailed, but of course not like in R6 Pro 2. Signature coloration from Hiby, but softer, slower and genre less universal.

Mid frequencies

Vocals in the R6 Pro 2 are transparent and detailed, calm and neutral. Low frequencies do not overlap with the midrange. After the r-2r, the vocals lack fleshiness, i.e. a slight accent relative to the rest of the AFC and solidity in the lower midrange. But at the same time, vocals in R6 Pro 2 are more intelligible, it's easier to concentrate on them and, like a sommelier, enjoy various overtonal subtleties and nuances. The same applies to live instruments.

Vocals in FC6 are already a little less transparent and detailed, but more accentuated and soft at the same time. Low mid frequencies warm up vocals very pleasantly and they sound more natural than in R6 Pro 2. At the same time FC6 does not spoil with overtonal details against the background of R6 Pro 2, it does not give an opportunity to contemplate the vocal part in all its details. You just listen and listen, without analytical concentration. The same applies to live instruments.

High midrange frequencies

The R6 Pro 2's high midrange
is quite smooth and comfortable. At the same time, it stays on the edge between softness and harshness. Excellent balance that doesn't let the device roughly slip to the "light side of power" (pseudo-detail) or to the "dark side of power" (pseudo-tube).

In FC6 the high midrange is even smoother and more comfortable. Which of course already comes at the expense of the overall vigor of the sound, making the sonic signature warm and comfortable over long distances and with more different IEMs. This is where the flavor point regarding the R6 Pro 2 comes into play, because there are genres of music where extra emotional pepperiness wouldn't hurt. High-quality electronics with various special effects, heavy metal, classical music with various bowed instruments etc. But for those who are afraid of sibilants high mid frequencies in FC6 is certainly a godsend.

High frequencies

The R6 Pro 2's treble is both very detailed and smooth. Together with the multi-driver BAs, it is simply "mind blowing", in the best sense of the word. After the r-2r in FC6 format, the high frequencies of the AK4499EX in BA are masterpiece. What I would like to note separately: the treble in the R6 Pro 2, relative to all delta sigmas that I have heard is CRUCIAL! That is, the high frequencies are not scattered or shallow, going into a flickering microcontrast. They are very natural and detailed, in balance between micro and macro contrast.

In FC6 the high frequencies are of course simpler, shorter and fewer. In favor of comfort during long listening and according to the limitation of r-2r technology and limited circuitry in the small whistle format. No miracles happened. But it still sounds pleasant, because there are no special requirements for recording quality.

Stage

In the R6 Pro 2, the stage is equally voluminous in both width and depth. Transparency in the midrange and treble gives the scene a slight subjective boost in scale. Instrument placement is precise and easily identifiable. The near field plays more accentuated than the far field, which is actually inherent in the recording. Everything is normal, everything is as it should be in a decent delta sigma.

In FC6 the scene is more compact both in width and depth. Due to the r-2r addition in the mid-bass and low midrange, a subjective boost is given to what can be called "intimate presentation". Everything plays more compact and close. At the same time, the special fluidity of the musical canvas of r-2r has not gone anywhere and the sound of distant plans relative to the close ones is also accentuated and hence the effect of mesmerizing sound. There is no such effect in the R6 Pro 2.

Resolution

The R6 Pro 2 has unprecedented resolution across the entire frequency range relative to the FC6. With a direct plug-in you get a wow from the elaboration of subtleties and nuances. There is nothing to say, in fact.

In FC6 the resolution is not as high as in R6 Pro 2, but it is enough for non-critical listening. Again, on the one hand, everything is in favor of sound comfort, but on the other hand, the access to audiophilia in relation to R6 Pro 2 is closed.

Overall conclusion

If we talk about the intention of the R6 Pro 2 - it is an attempt to make a musical audiophile brick. So that the bass was fun to play, the vocals and instruments sounded transparent, and the treble sounded expensive and rich. In general, Hiby succeeded in this. I had complaints only about neutral midrange and detailed treble. But the brain is such a thing - it gets used to anything. And I liked the pitch of R6 Pro 2 with BA very much.

If we talk about FC6 on the background of R6 Pro 2 - it is a self-sufficient sound, with its own character and orientation. This is a story purely about musical presentation, without pretensions to nuance and elaboration in the entire frequency range. It's warm (bass), natural (midrange) and unstressed (high midrange and treble) sound that doesn't sound cheap. Because the lack of transparency and resolution is compensated for by midrange frequencies that sound more convincing and engaging than in the R6 Pro 2. There's nothing you can do about it. It's either a road trip or a ride.

I'm keeping the R6 Pro 2 as a more versatile sounding device, and I'll wait for the FC6 on the r-2r in the form of the RS6 ii, which will replace the old RS6.

Note bene

About the mode of the amp in the R6 Pro 2. In A mode, relative to AB mode, it adds a little more control at low frequencies and adds a little more mass at mid-bass. At high frequencies there are already less significant changes, really catching fleas.

About Gain in the R6 Pro 2. There is no noise or hiss on the BA at any gain level. Absolutely black background.

Thank you all for your attention!

There will be a comparison of Hiby R6 Pro 2 vs Cayin N6 II R01 (r-2r) a little later.

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2024 at 2:19 PM Post #1,551 of 1,902
Does anyone know any trick to remove the stock (HiBy) screen protector films? I have applied them but I got air bubbles underneath 😔

Mar 27, 2024 at 3:19 PM Post #1,552 of 1,902
Does anyone know any trick to remove the stock (HiBy) screen protector films? I have applied them but I got air bubbles underneath 😔
The unit comes with a set of protectors pre-installed. Did you remove the original protector first? Or did you apply the includes spares on top of the original factory-applied ones?

-Ed

Mar 27, 2024 at 3:20 PM Post #1,553 of 1,902
I use the DAP as a source/head unit for my home stereo setup. I am finding that there is just not enough volume granularity with my new preamp set to tube buffer mode (Schiit Freya+). I would like to lower the initial volume level at the DAP. What do you guys recommend me doing, should I cap the volume to the Line Out at something lower than 100, like say 65, and leave Gain to High? Or should I leave volume maxed out at 100 and change Gain to Low or Medium instead? Not sure what is supposed to sound better.

-Ed

Mar 27, 2024 at 3:23 PM Post #1,554 of 1,902
The on/off slider to show the app is on or off.
The on/off slider for the global PEQ does change color when turned on, but it is very faintly dark/navy blue (as opposed to dark grey/black when turned off). However, it is extremely subtle and almost impossible to tell if the DAP's screen brightness is less than 80%.

-Ed

Mar 27, 2024 at 3:44 PM Post #1,555 of 1,902
The unit comes with a set of protectors pre-installed. Did you remove the original protector first? Or did you apply the includes spares on top of the original factory-applied ones?

-Ed

Well... I did not realize that preinstalled film protectors exist there. So I unpeeled what comes preinstalled because I thought it is some kind of protective that needs to be removed.
Then I applied the included spares on top of the factory-applied ones, as it seems... I am not sure...
Initially, I just unpeeled what was there in the front (screen) and at the back side of the unit. Does this remove the pre-installed protector completely?

Do you think that I've applied the spares on top of the factory applied ones?

The reason I've tried to apply the spares today is because until yesterday I had another unit which I was testing for around a week and a half, which led me to love this device and so I purchased it. The "test" unit was also brand new and had the same protectors. I remember that after removing just those and without applying anything, the screen was a fingerprint magnet. That's why I thought that on my unit I should apply the provided (extra) protectors.

Do you know a way to remove these extra (spare) ones, please?

EDIT: I managed to remove both of them! :) :)

Also, would you guys suggest to reduce the battery max charging level to 85% for battery protection?

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2024 at 4:17 PM Post #1,556 of 1,902
I use the DAP as a source/head unit for my home stereo setup. I am finding that there is just not enough volume granularity with my new preamp set to tube buffer mode (Schiit Freya+). I would like to lower the initial volume level at the DAP. What do you guys recommend me doing, should I cap the volume to the Line Out at something lower than 100, like say 65, and leave Gain to High? Or should I leave volume maxed out at 100 and change Gain to Low or Medium instead? Not sure what is supposed to sound better.

-Ed
With my Singxer sa-1 I am at 100% volume balanced line out of the Hiby, high gain on Sinxer and medium gain on Hiby, volume is around 12 oclock on the Singxer, this is because I have equalized my headphones so lost around 15-20 % volume, main reason I bought the amp. Not really found it makes any difference in sound quality messing about with medium gain etc.

Mar 27, 2024 at 4:25 PM Post #1,557 of 1,902
Well... I did not realize that preinstalled film protectors exist there. So I unpeeled what comes preinstalled because I thought it is some kind of protective that needs to be removed.
Then I applied the included spares on top of the factory-applied ones, as it seems... I am not sure...
Initially, I just unpeeled what was there in the front (screen) and at the back side of the unit. Does this remove the pre-installed protector completely?

Do you think that I've applied the spares on top of the factory applied ones?

The reason I've tried to apply the spares today is because until yesterday I had another unit which I was testing for around a week and a half, which led me to love this device and so I purchased it. The "test" unit was also brand new and had the same protectors. I remember that after removing just those and without applying anything, the screen was a fingerprint magnet. That's why I thought that on my unit I should apply the provided (extra) protectors.

Do you know a way to remove these extra (spare) ones, please?

Also, would you guys suggest to reduce the battery max charging level to 85% for battery protection?
To remove the old ones use some strong sellotape on the edge of the Hiby and it will lift it off, I replaced mine with the link at the bottom of the page, as you say the Hiby is a fingerprint magnet and end up wiping the thing non stop, these are very good and hardly any fingerprints. The material is like a very fine glass, very good instructions how to fit below.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0CLT6BFMF?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

Mar 27, 2024 at 4:57 PM Post #1,558 of 1,902

-Ed
I think you should just experiment, how does it sound now and how do you want it to sound when you're with the schiit freya?
I always felt that in LO medium gain in my system I wasn't getting enough fullness and dynamics and until I use high gain at 100% that's where I feel it's doing what it supposed to and what I want. Unless whatever you're pluggin in it's getting too much gain, like it's sounding clipped, I'd say high gain 100% and then lower the volume on your preamp... (but you have volume option on tube buffer mode? usually buffer as I understand is fixed volume... I'm not familiar with schiit freya though)...

I actually have a tube buffer (ifi itube2) before I feed it into another tube preamp, and I use my cayin n7 at home as source and it has both line out and preamp out option, and for me i like preamp out sound more but I felt the sweet spot for me is 91% high gain volume at preamp out...

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2024 at 5:28 PM Post #1,559 of 1,902
To remove the old ones use some strong sellotape on the edge of the Hiby and it will lift it off, I replaced mine with the link at the bottom of the page, as you say the Hiby is a fingerprint magnet and end up wiping the thing non stop, these are very good and hardly any fingerprints. The material is like a very fine glass, very good instructions how to fit below.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0CLT6BFMF?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

Very nice! Thank you very much! Order, placed!

I managed to remove the spare HiBy protectors I have applied earlier. Now the screen looks naked, without any protection. I am not sure if earlier, when unpeeling those plastic films, I have unpeeled the preinstalled protectors from the factory, as well. Not sure if this is even possible, first time I own this device, I don't know.
Anyways, they are removed now. I might attempt to apply again the one on the back side.

Would you suggest to reduce the battery maximum charging level to 85% for battery protection?

Mar 27, 2024 at 5:33 PM Post #1,560 of 1,902
Very nice! Thank you very much! Order, placed!

I managed to remove the spare HiBy protectors I have applied earlier. Now the screen looks naked, without any protection. I am not sure if earlier, when unpeeling those plastic films, I have unpeeled the preinstalled protectors from the factory, as well. Not sure if this is even possible, first time I own this device, I don't know.
Anyways, they are removed now. I might attempt to apply again the one on the back side.

Would you suggest to reduce the battery maximum charging level to 85% for battery protection?
I set the battery to 85% cap just to be safe. I never use it for extremely long sessions on the road, so unlikely I’d ever need the full capacity of the battery before charging.

-Ed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back