HIBY R6 - DAP Dual DAC Balanced Out - Great Reviews and Over 500% Funded @ Indiegogo!
May 31, 2018 at 6:04 PM Post #3,541 of 6,622
May 31, 2018 at 7:58 PM Post #3,542 of 6,622
^
Upon receipt of my R6 today I simply added an already loaded SD card from another DAP so I could listen straight away. It was not installed as internal or external but is recognized as external by the Hiby player. Should I reformat the SD card while it's in the Hiby and then repopulate the music library? I notice the extreme slowness of the GUI which I'm astonished by since the R6 specs is supposedly that of a top tier mobile phone. Is the sluggishness a result of simply just having an SD card installed?

More thoughts to come about the R6 but initial impression is VERY POSITIVE. Except the sluggish GUI.

Can you elaborate on what part of the R6 GUI is slow for you? I assume some part of the song choosing process in HiByMusic? Which "tab" are you using? How many songs are there? Have you run a music scan yet?

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
May 31, 2018 at 11:25 PM Post #3,543 of 6,622
If anyone is feeding the R6’s line out to a Chord Mojo or Hugo2 I’d appreciate a recommendation on a good cable to use. I’m having a hard time finding a quality 3.5 to 3.5 coax cable. I assume this is the best option but am open to suggestions. I was using my iPhone as a transport prior to this (Tidal offload be only)

After an extensive search, I understand that 3.5mm (non-optical!) to 3.5mm coaxial digital cables are impossible to find!

But Moon Audio do do them, and I got a very nice Black Dragon 3.5 to 3.5 digital coaxial that works great between the R6 and a Hugo2.

If anyone knows of any other manufactures that make such a cable, please do chime in!

May 31, 2018 at 11:34 PM Post #3,544 of 6,622
After an extensive search, I understand that 3.5mm (non-optical!) to 3.5mm coaxial digital cables are impossible to find!

But Moon Audio do do them, and I got a very nice Black Dragon 3.5 to 3.5 digital coaxial that works great between the R6 and a Hugo2.

If anyone knows of any other manufactures that make such a cable, please do chime in!
We arrived at the same conclusion. My Moon Audio Black Dragon will be delivered tomorrow. I couldn't find any other options....

May 31, 2018 at 11:37 PM Post #3,545 of 6,622
Can you elaborate on what part of the R6 GUI is slow for you? I assume some part of the song choosing process in HiByMusic? Which "tab" are you using? How many songs are there? Have you run a music scan yet?

Hey Joe, thanks for the reply.

The slowness is generally the whole GUI touch sensitivity I think. Finger presses need to be applied 2-3 times before something happens. That's with icons, arrows, keypad, anything requiring touch. This is within the HiByMusic app equally as outside with the desktop GUI. I have a day off tomorrow so plan on spending time with the DAP and hopefully sort things out.

May 31, 2018 at 11:45 PM Post #3,546 of 6,622
Somehow i do not understand that in Hiby R6 forum we speak about mp3 files, ok Spotify has 320 kbs, but it is quite bad quality at this time, it was good 15 years ago ( some recordings of mp3 may be really good) but overall on my main system or through headphones i can definetly tell when it plays from Spotify or Tidal. If Spotify will go to CD quality so it will be Tidals death for 100% But till now there is not a lot of options. As in post above those who dont hear difference between 320kbps and 16/44.1 i do not know what they are doing here in forum

May 31, 2018 at 11:56 PM Post #3,547 of 6,622

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dyson-Audi...461255?hash=item1a342c31c7:g:7dQAAOSwxbtZpX84

Contact the seller of the above item and show him this picture and tell him you need this pin config for the DAP end and your other end is a Mojo/Hugo 2.

IMG_0329.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2018 at 10:58 AM Post #3,548 of 6,622
I don't recall a prompt for using card as internal/external so I will reinsert and check.

If you go to Settings > Storage & USB, you'll either see two Internal Storages, one with ~24GB and one with more (your SD card) OR you'll see "Portable Storage" SD Card with an eject button.

If you don't have the latter (eject button), then you can click on that internal storage and there's an option to convert it to external (move your apps off of it, if you have any installed).

The device will run MUCH faster.

Jun 1, 2018 at 11:07 AM Post #3,549 of 6,622
Somehow i do not understand that in Hiby R6 forum we speak about mp3 files, ok Spotify has 320 kbs, but it is quite bad quality at this time, it was good 15 years ago ( some recordings of mp3 may be really good) but overall on my main system or through headphones i can definetly tell when it plays from Spotify or Tidal. If Spotify will go to CD quality so it will be Tidals death for 100% But till now there is not a lot of options. As in post above those who dont hear difference between 320kbps and 16/44.1 i do not know what they are doing here in forum

I don't think you're trying very hard, or this is a troll post. Not sure which.

* Podcasts
* Audiobooks
* People who are limited on space (the device has very limited internal storage, and only 1 Micro SD card)
* People who, unlike you, can't tell the difference between 320kbps and lossless. See: https://www.npr.org/sections/therec...ou-did-slightly-better-than-guessing-randomly

Jun 1, 2018 at 11:37 AM Post #3,550 of 6,622
If you go to Settings > Storage & USB, you'll either see two Internal Storages, one with ~24GB and one with more (your SD card) OR you'll see "Portable Storage" SD Card with an eject button.

If you don't have the latter (eject button), then you can click on that internal storage and there's an option to convert it to external (move your apps off of it, if you have any installed).

The device will run MUCH faster.

I checked this already. The SD card was showing up correctly as an external storage. I pressed the eject and then reinstalled it within settings. I also deleted some old "Android" dat files that were on the card. This seemed to help in performance. Although there is still lag with GUI touch control overall it is better. Thanks for the tip.

* Podcasts
* Audiobooks
* People who are limited on space (the device has very limited internal storage, and only 1 Micro SD card)
* People who, unlike you, can't tell the difference between 320kbps and lossless. ...

Agreed. Also I might add to your excellent reply and OP's asinine comment, there are out-of-print and hard to get CDs/Albums that the only available option is to download or convert to MP3 from YouTube or some place. I have a bunch of rare albums and only format I managed to get is a (shudders) 256kbps or less MP3 file. I'll sacrifice quality to be able to hear favourite rare tracks.

Jun 1, 2018 at 1:51 PM Post #3,551 of 6,622
I still can't believe how well this 'thing' drives my hd650's. I am on high gain, but I don't have to crank the volume like on all my other portable gear and an audio engine d1.

Jun 1, 2018 at 2:11 PM Post #3,552 of 6,622
Hi guys, I'm considering the R6. But have a few questions.

I just rooted my LG V20 with Viper4ARISE and high impedance mod. It does a really good job with my iSine 10 and other headphones. But it not perfect Viper$ARISE sometime stops processing when switching apps or tapping the back button to restart a song and things like that. I have to turn off V4A and turn it on again. This may be an issue with my installation. Plan to try ARISE Magnus Opus and see if that works any better.

So questions:

1. Is it a noticeablly superior player to my rooted V20/V30 with Viper4Android/Viper4ARISE?
2. If I use a 2.5mm balanced to 3.5mm unbalanced adapter will I get the greater drive output of the balanced jack? I ask because I have planars that like the additional power, but I don't have.
3. Can I save different sound and EQ settings for different headphones like I can with Viper4ARISE?

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2018 at 2:35 PM Post #3,553 of 6,622
1. Is it a noticeablly superior player to my rooted V20/V30 with Viper4Android/Viper4ARISE?
2. If I use a 2.5mm balanced to 3.5mm unbalanced adapter will I get the greater drive output of the balanced jack? I ask because I have planars that like the additional power, but I don't have.
3. Can I save different sound and EQ settings for different headphones like I can with Viper4ARISE?

1. I do not have a V20/V30. I'll let someone else answer that question.
2. Are you asking, if you can add a 3.5mm SE Female to 2.5mm Balanced Male adapter to your iSine10, which has a Single Ended cable? If that is what you are asking, the answer is, No. A SE cable cannot be used on a Balanced port even with an adapter. You can technically make such an adapter. But using that adapter to connect a Single Ended IEM to a Balanced port on a DAP will damage the DAP's circuit. The best route is to buy a separate Balanced cable for your iSine10.
3. Unfortunately No. Currently, R6 allows only one EQ profile. Hopefully Hiby will add more custom EQ profiles.

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2018 at 3:10 PM Post #3,554 of 6,622

* Podcasts
* Audiobooks
* People who, unlike you, can't tell the difference between 320kbps and lossless. See: https://www.npr.org/sections/therec...ou-did-slightly-better-than-guessing-randomly
You read carefull what i wrote? the people in Hiby R6 forum i think 80-90% of them here really not chasing 320kbps quality i do not say say 320 kbs is drastically bad, but if you R6 you mainly focus at least to 16/44.1, flacs and ofcourse dsd files

Users who are viewing this thread

Back