SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
May 30, 2018 at 8:42 AM Post #20,731 of 45,723
I use the Z7 in the office very much right now. I think if you do not compare them with the Z1R side by side, the Z7's are all you ever need.

Well as I mentioned in an earlier post, switching to the Z7 on my shopping list makes it possible to afford the WM1A, so I think it's the better combination. It also leaves me in a better financial position going forward to get a nice open headphone (which I generally prefer) sooner rather than later. And, despite the logical, practical cost/benefit analysis perhaps favoring the zx300, I just want the WM1A. Applying some rationality to that choice, with the bigger screen I probably won't need to put my readers on every time I touch it, and the extra output power is extra output power.

My wife and daughter fly out Saturday. Back the first week of July. The wait begins.

May 30, 2018 at 9:34 AM Post #20,732 of 45,723
Well as I mentioned in an earlier post, switching to the Z7 on my shopping list makes it possible to afford the WM1A, so I think it's the better combination. It also leaves me in a better financial position going forward to get a nice open headphone (which I generally prefer) sooner rather than later. And, despite the logical, practical cost/benefit analysis perhaps favoring the zx300, I just want the WM1A. Applying some rationality to that choice, with the bigger screen I probably won't need to put my readers on every time I touch it, and the extra output power is extra output power.

My wife and daughter fly out Saturday. Back the first week of July. The wait begins.
Don't forget this cable: MUC-B20SB21

May 30, 2018 at 9:51 AM Post #20,733 of 45,723
As suggested back on Post 6472, this tool worked to format my 128 GB SanDisk MicroSD Ultra so that my WM1A would "see" it: https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/index.html

This was the same MicroSD that earlier was not recognized as being present by the WM1A.

I formatted on the "Overwrite everything" (second) option, which required about 2 hours for my 128GB card.

I am now writing music to it, but I fully expect it to work.

But... why oh why when the Sony instructions say "Format the card in the WM1A" does the card not format in the WM1A???

May 30, 2018 at 9:54 AM Post #20,734 of 45,723
Don't forget this cable: MUC-B20SB21

Oh yes, it's on the list:

NW-WM1A
MDR-Z7
MUC-B20SB1
WMC-NWH10
WMP-NWM10
BKS-WM1G2DF (tempered glass screen protector)

Told my wife to just give the list of items to the guy at the store and he'll have it all in a couple minutes. I'll order a TPU case once they are back. Then start loading it up. I'm hoping for a Black Friday deal on the microsd ... plenty of space to fill before that.

The price for the Z7 plus the Kimber cable after the tourist discount and conversion to USD works out to about $580. WM1A is about $955. I am well under budget.

cJw33uL.png

Last edited:
May 30, 2018 at 10:01 AM Post #20,735 of 45,723
Oh yes, it's on the list:

NW-WM1A
MDR-Z7
MUC-B20SB1
WMC-NWH10
WMP-NWM10
BKS-WM1G2DF (tempered glass screen protector)

Told my wife to just give the list of items to the guy at the store and he'll have it all in a couple minutes. I'll order a TPU case once they are back. Then start loading it up. I'm hoping for a Black Friday deal on the microsd ... plenty of space to fill before that.

The price for the Z7 plus the Kimber cable after the tourist discount and conversion to USD works out to about $580. WM1A is about $955.

cJw33uL.png

What ? You are able to tell your wife to shop for your Audio equipments ? LoL! Wow...respect!

May 30, 2018 at 10:07 AM Post #20,737 of 45,723
1527689213911-138377141.jpg

May 30, 2018 at 10:08 AM Post #20,738 of 45,723
What ? You are able to tell your wife to shop for your Audio equipments ? LoL! Wow...respect!

She and my daughter are leaving for Japan in a few days. We visit the grandparents and do some travelling every couple years, but I'm not going this time. Finally bought my daughter a violin after 7 years of renting last summer ($7k), changed out the carpet in the house for bamboo ($9k), and my wife's due to replace her car soon. My pockets only go so deep, and unlike both of them I have no biological imperative to see the Land of the Rising Sun every two years. Me ducking out this time saves us almost $10k, so a little shopping on my behalf is a reasonable request.

May 30, 2018 at 10:09 AM Post #20,739 of 45,723

Hey, you finally got it! (cable) What say you about the MUC-B20SB1?

Skip that cable and get a pure silver one made it opens up the 7's nicely, next best thing to modding the cups to rid them of that muddy bass.

I'm not really even a cable guy in the first place. But the balanced cable with the Z7 doesn't play nice with the WM1A, so the Kimber's the most expedient and affordable option considering the travel opportunity.

Last edited:
May 30, 2018 at 10:14 AM Post #20,740 of 45,723
Skip that cable and get a pure silver one made it opens up the 7's nicely, next best thing to modding the cups to rid them of that muddy bass.
Btw, I still like how the Z7 sounds stock. This cable is only to enable the balanced mode with the WM1A. As I said before, they designed the bass as is to be like many people like it. It has visceral components like no other but the Z1R. I'd be a fool to eliminate that. If you do not like how the can sounds you are free to do so though.

Last edited:
May 30, 2018 at 10:14 AM Post #20,741 of 45,723
Those answers by others are great. I could not have said them better. Depends. If I had the cash laying around, site I would get Z1R. The mental note I made its I will have to get it together with the Sony TA-ZH1ES purely the extra juice makes it reveal the true potential. There's still something doesn't quite click with Z7. It's great but not that gives me that emotional wow gotta have it. I vaguely remember the denon when I was in Tokyo. So undecided yet.

Hope this answers your question.

QUOTE="Hanafuda, post: 14271066, member: 49406"]Was the Z7 vs. Z1R difference a “Wow!” difference, or a, “yeah, I can hear that,” difference?

I had to decide between them too and about 95% sure on the Z7 now, with the benefit that I can afford the WM1A if I get the lower-priced headphone (instead of zx300).[/QUOTE]

May 30, 2018 at 10:22 AM Post #20,742 of 45,723
Hey, you finally got it! (cable) What say you about the MUC-B20SB1?

I'm not really even a cable guy in the first place. But the cables with the Z7 don't play nice with the WM1A, so the Kimber's the most expedient and affordable option considering the travel opportunity.
It is beautiful, built like a tank and get's the signal to the headphones. I had an aftermarket cable made first, but the headphone side connectors did not really fit. Had it converted to be used with my HD800 now. The Kimber is for me also a backup solution for the balanced cable which came with the Z1R. Sound wise I am yet to hear much difference, but that's ok.

May 30, 2018 at 10:33 AM Post #20,743 of 45,723
It is beautiful, built like a tank and get's the signal to the headphones. I had an aftermarket cable made first, but the headphone side connectors did not really fit. Had it converted to be used with my HD800 now. The Kimber is for me also a backup solution for the balanced cable which came with the Z1R. Sound wise I am yet to hear much difference, but that's ok.

Yep, that’s what I need then. :thumbsup:

May 30, 2018 at 12:06 PM Post #20,745 of 45,723
I'm looking to upgrade from a Fiio X7II to a WM1A. Can anyone provide a comparison in terms of SQ? I'll be using CFA Andromedas.
I had Fiio X7ii And changed to 1A. Bad is, that the A1 only 1 Sd Slot have and Pics only in jpeg baseline showed. i Take a lot Time to changed it.
But the positiv side: more details, naturale sound and netter bass. It was a very good Choice.
I use 1A balanced with sennheiser HD 800s

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back