SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
May 30, 2018 at 12:10 PM Post #20,746 of 45,723
May 30, 2018 at 12:18 PM Post #20,747 of 45,723
I'm looking to upgrade from a Fiio X7II to a WM1A. Can anyone provide a comparison in terms of SQ? I'll be using CFA Andromedas.

I was Fiio x5 iii and x7 ii's user. I would say Fiio sound's signature is neutral, thin, and bright, which doesn't suits my taste. WM1A is clean, dark, detail, soft. So if you are looking for something dark and detail (which is pretty poisonous...) u may give it a try. To me, its really worth the upgrade. It a different SQ. But always, try before u upgrade. So u could find ur "dream sound"

May 30, 2018 at 1:49 PM Post #20,748 of 45,723
As suggested back on Post 6472, this tool worked to format my 128 GB SanDisk MicroSD Ultra so that my WM1A would "see" it: https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/index.html

This was the same MicroSD that earlier was not recognized as being present by the WM1A.

I formatted on the "Overwrite everything" (second) option, which required about 2 hours for my 128GB card.

I am now writing music to it, but I fully expect it to work.

But... why oh why when the Sony instructions say "Format the card in the WM1A" does the card not format in the WM1A???

Thanks for letting us know it worked out ok. Good to hear your WM1A is fine and dandy. Next time if you upgrade to a larger card, just take the new microsd straight from the package, copy your existing files from the one you're using now over to it, throw it in the WM1A and see if that works (before doing any formatting). I'm betting it does, but if not, well you know what to do now.

May 30, 2018 at 5:04 PM Post #20,749 of 45,723
As suggested back on Post 6472, this tool worked to format my 128 GB SanDisk MicroSD Ultra so that my WM1A would "see" it: https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/index.html

This was the same MicroSD that earlier was not recognized as being present by the WM1A.

I formatted on the "Overwrite everything" (second) option, which required about 2 hours for my 128GB card.

I am now writing music to it, but I fully expect it to work.

But... why oh why when the Sony instructions say "Format the card in the WM1A" does the card not format in the WM1A???
When i formatted my 200gb sd card in exfat it took less than a minute to complete the job.Then insert the card in your WM1A , it should recognize your card now . Create a folder via your computer called MUSIC and put all your music in it.

May 30, 2018 at 6:54 PM Post #20,750 of 45,723
This has probably already been answered but I don't feel like reading through pages could someone tell me what's a good portable amp to use with the wm1a anyone try the ifi black label with these? Trying to find a good alternative to my hd800S

May 30, 2018 at 6:57 PM Post #20,751 of 45,723
If you go balanced you shouldn't need an amp.

May 30, 2018 at 7:16 PM Post #20,752 of 45,723
Another WM1A newbie question...

Now that I (finally) have my microSD card recognized by and feeding music to my WM1A, HOW do I make it seamlessly integrate with the onboard storage, so that it looks just like one big mass of storage?

Here is what I mean: when I go to Library view (Artists, Albums... HiRes), it only seems to cover the songs that are on the internal memory, not the microSD card. To get to them, I have to go to Folder/SD Card/... . I already read somewhere that you cannot make a playlist that includes songs from both internal and microSD memory.

Also, how can I assure that album art appears? Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn’t. Worse still, it only appears at the beginning of the line of each along, NOT on the higher-level view that shows the album name (that is must a blank folder shape).

Finally, how do I do the music analysis to build the “Sense Me” channels? Does that have to be done off line, via say MediaGo, on a PC?

I have already tried “Rebuild database.” Any other ideas?

Thanks!

Last edited:
May 30, 2018 at 9:01 PM Post #20,753 of 45,723
Hey, you finally got it! (cable) What say you about the MUC-B20SB1?

I'm not really even a cable guy in the first place. But the balanced cable with the Z7 doesn't play nice with the WM1A, so the Kimber's the most expedient and affordable option considering the travel opportunity.

It's nothing to do with being a cable guy its about getting the best from them and the kimber is in not the way to go, made by Sony under licence from kimber and badly put together the soldering under the splitter was appalling and dont get me started on that terrible excuse of the Z5 kimber with the $2 connectors that work loose.
Kimber by name not Kimber by nature .... each to his own i guess.

May 30, 2018 at 9:03 PM Post #20,754 of 45,723
Btw, I still like how the Z7 sounds stock. This cable is only to enable the balanced mode with the WM1A. As I said before, they designed the bass as is to be like many people like it. It has visceral components like no other but the Z1R. I'd be a fool to eliminate that. If you do not like how the can sounds you are free to do so though.
Thanks

May 30, 2018 at 9:14 PM Post #20,755 of 45,723
When i formatted my 200gb sd card in exfat it took less than a minute to complete the job.Then insert the card in your WM1A , it should recognize your card now . Create a folder via your computer called MUSIC and put all your music in it.

I had that problem with my 400gb card. I did not create the music folder and drag/dropped everything onto the card, but the player didn't see the files. I'm not sure if the music folder was there, and it may have very well have been, but I don't recall seeing a drop down arrow in windows explorer next to the SD card drive. I erased everything off the player, including the internal memory which held some files, reformatted the card inside the player, and then dropped a few songs into the music folder to test it. I don't know how the music folder was generated (I prob missed it the first time), but that was how I got mine to work.

May 30, 2018 at 10:02 PM Post #20,756 of 45,723
It's nothing to do with being a cable guy its about getting the best from them and the kimber is in not the way to go, made by Sony under licence from kimber and badly put together the soldering under the splitter was appalling and dont get me started on that terrible excuse of the Z5 kimber with the $2 connectors that work loose.
Kimber by name not Kimber by nature .... each to his own i guess.

I saw a photo here somewhere showing sloppy soldered-together wiring under the splitter on a Sony/Kimber cable. It came out of China. A member here noted that counterfeiting of these cables in the China domestic market is known. Are you suggesting they're ALL like that? The original post from the Chinese forum also seemed suspect to me, since the purchaser purportedly bought the cable and an NW-WM1A together, brought them home and before even opening the WM1A proceeded to bust open the splitter on the cable (which breaks it). Why? Why did you bust yours open, if all that was needed was replacement of the mmcx connectors?

Apparently the cable you're using with the Z7 involves, "solid silver cable with a furutech rhodium 4.4mm and 2 X Oyaide platinum and palladium 3.5mm's ." How much would that cost from a 3rd party maker? I'm getting the Z7 brand new for $377 or less. Even the $200 I'm paying for the MUC-B20SB1 is stupid, but Sony doesn't sell a standard Z7/Z1R 4.4 balanced cable. They make one, and pack it in with the Z1R, but they don't sell it separately.

Last edited:
May 31, 2018 at 2:35 AM Post #20,757 of 45,723
Another WM1A newbie question...

Now that I (finally) have my microSD card recognized by and feeding music to my WM1A, HOW do I make it seamlessly integrate with the onboard storage, so that it looks just like one big mass of storage?

Here is what I mean: when I go to Library view (Artists, Albums... HiRes), it only seems to cover the songs that are on the internal memory, not the microSD card. To get to them, I have to go to Folder/SD Card/... . I already read somewhere that you cannot make a playlist that includes songs from both internal and microSD memory.

Also, how can I assure that album art appears? Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn’t. Worse still, it only appears at the beginning of the line of each along, NOT on the higher-level view that shows the album name (that is must a blank folder shape).

Finally, how do I do the music analysis to build the “Sense Me” channels? Does that have to be done off line, via say MediaGo, on a PC?

I have already tried “Rebuild database.” Any other ideas?

Thanks!

If your music is placed in a Music folder and tagged properly it will all show up under the various categories, it is only Folder view that seperates it. Album art has to be baseline, the player does not show progressive. In Folder view the art does not show on the higher levels, only on the individual track, but in the various category views it does show on higher levels.

May 31, 2018 at 4:14 AM Post #20,758 of 45,723
I saw a photo here somewhere showing sloppy soldered-together wiring under the splitter on a Sony/Kimber cable. It came out of China. A member here noted that counterfeiting of these cables in the China domestic market is known. Are you suggesting they're ALL like that? The original post from the Chinese forum also seemed suspect to me, since the purchaser purportedly bought the cable and an NW-WM1A together, brought them home and before even opening the WM1A proceeded to bust open the splitter on the cable (which breaks it). Why? Why did you bust yours open, if all that was needed was replacement of the mmcx connectors?

Apparently the cable you're using with the Z7 involves, "solid silver cable with a furutech rhodium 4.4mm and 2 X Oyaide platinum and palladium 3.5mm's ." How much would that cost from a 3rd party maker? I'm getting the Z7 brand new for $377 or less. Even the $200 I'm paying for the MUC-B20SB1 is stupid, but Sony doesn't sell a standard Z7/Z1R 4.4 balanced cable. They make one, and pack it in with the Z1R, but they don't sell it separately.

Mine was bought from Sony Malaysia and 100% genuine, I guess the industry I work in makes me more picky about build quality and the cable I use with my 7's cost me £110. I bust open the splitter on the Z7'S as it was one big ugly lump of plastic and replaced it with a smart looking copper/ carbon fibre one, I only re terminated the mmcx's on the Kimber for the Z5's with eidolic terrilium copper ones. But if your happy with your set up as is who am I to tell you otherwise, everyone hears / likes different looks and signatures of headphones and cables so each to is own, difference of opinion is a good thing, would be a very small thread and boring if we all agreed on the same.

May 31, 2018 at 7:26 AM Post #20,759 of 45,723
Mine was bought from Sony Malaysia and 100% genuine, I guess the industry I work in makes me more picky about build quality and the cable I use with my 7's cost me £110. I bust open the splitter on the Z7'S as it was one big ugly lump of plastic and replaced it with a smart looking copper/ carbon fibre one, I only re terminated the mmcx's on the Kimber for the Z5's with eidolic terrilium copper ones. But if your happy with your set up as is who am I to tell you otherwise, everyone hears / likes different looks and signatures of headphones and cables so each to is own, difference of opinion is a good thing, would be a very small thread and boring if we all agreed on the same.

Well, the cable you made (see: LINK) is certainly handsome and very well done. I expect it must have been the beneficiary of materials and tools on-hand to some extent to build it @ £110, but again well done. I may get up to a project like that sometime - I do at least have a soldering iron, heat gun, and multimeter - but for starters I was thinking I might reterminate that double-ended balanced cable for the pha-3 that comes in the Z7 box, with a pentaconn plug. Maybe, I dunno. It definitely isn't going to see any use otherwise. But as for a ready-made, near equivalent commercial solution for me here in the US, like for example a Moon-Audio Silver Dragon, with the appropriate connectors it is $360 + tax. Over at lqicables, their Claris series silver cable would be $430 + tax. So I'm happy with the choice of the Sony/Kimber @ $200 for now (if I were trying to buy that cable here in the States on ebay or amazon, $275-$325). If it turns out to be not to my liking for some reason, I'm sure another Z7 or Z1R owner here would be happy to take it off my hands for a reasonable sum.

May 31, 2018 at 8:14 AM Post #20,760 of 45,723
Well, the cable you made (see: LINK) is certainly handsome and very well done. I expect it must have been the beneficiary of materials and tools on-hand to some extent to build it @ £110, but again well done. I may get up to a project like that sometime - I do at least have a soldering iron, heat gun, and multimeter - but for starters I was thinking I might reterminate that double-ended balanced cable for the pha-3 that comes in the Z7 box, with a pentaconn plug. Maybe, I dunno. It definitely isn't going to see any use otherwise. But as for a ready-made, near equivalent commercial solution for me here in the US, like for example a Moon-Audio Silver Dragon, with the appropriate connectors it is $360 + tax. Over at lqicables, their Claris series silver cable would be $430 + tax. So I'm happy with the choice of the Sony/Kimber @ $200 for now (if I were trying to buy that cable here in the States on ebay or amazon, $275-$325). If it turns out to be not to my liking for some reason, I'm sure another Z7 or Z1R owner here would be happy to take it off my hands for a reasonable sum.
I think all this refers to the following picture:
9337429.jpg

I myself am not sure what is wrong in doing it that way as long as the isolation is taken care of plus good strain relief.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back