SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
May 29, 2018 at 9:58 PM Post #20,716 of 45,723
Help! My WM1A does not recognize the presence of an SD Micro card. I have been using two SanDisk Ultra 128 GB Micro SD XC, both of which work in my Lotoo PAW 5000 player, but when I try to format one on the WM1A, I get "Cannot Format because the SD card is not mounted."

When I plug it in, the orange light next to the slot flashes twice, not quite going off in between flashes, so in some way it seems to acknowledge that the card is there.

I updated the firmware on the WM1A to 2.00. No success.

I tried 2 different micro SD cards... no success.

I tried erasing the micro SD card of previous data on my PC before putting it in... no success.

I tried reformatting the micro SD card on my PC, first by eXFAT and then by NTFS... no success either way.

Any idea what else I might try? Should I try a completely new card?

Thanks for any help!

May 29, 2018 at 10:10 PM Post #20,718 of 45,723
Help! My WM1A does not recognize the presence of an SD Micro card. I have been using two SanDisk Ultra 128 GB Micro SD XC, both of which work in my Lotoo PAW 5000 player, but when I try to format one on the WM1A, I get "Cannot Format because the SD card is not mounted."

When I plug it in, the orange light next to the slot flashes twice, not quite going off in between flashes, so in some way it seems to acknowledge that the card is there.

I tried erasing the micro SD card of previous data on my PC before putting it in... no success.

I tried reformatting the micro SD card on my PC, first by eXFAT and then by NTFS... no success either way.

Thanks for any help!
or RMA it , :frowning2: so you format it in the DAP and throw that error or after you format with PC you dn't see music?

May 29, 2018 at 10:21 PM Post #20,719 of 45,723
I cannot format it in the WM1A, because the WM1A does not act like it is there..it acts just as if the SD slot is empty. I don’t know what else to try.

Last edited:
May 29, 2018 at 10:52 PM Post #20,720 of 45,723
I cannot format it in the WM1A, because the WM1A does not act like it is there..it acts just as if the SD slot is empty. I don’t know what else to try.
if you have a PC handy, format it in exFAT and pop it into the 1A and see what happens..

May 29, 2018 at 11:27 PM Post #20,721 of 45,723

Thanks for any help!
See post #6472

May 29, 2018 at 11:38 PM Post #20,722 of 45,723
if you have a PC handy, format it in exFAT and pop it into the 1A and see what happens..
I did that on a PC and popped it in...didn’t work. Still acted as if not there.

So I tried a 32 GB SanDisk MicroSD with music already on it.. that Works! It gets updated into the library and plays just fine. I can’t imagine that 128GB is too big, as I seem to have found some post that got 400GB to work. Maybe it’s the fact it is an *Ultra* SD.

Off to read Post 6472 as suggested by @Bart147 above (thank you, Bart!)

May 29, 2018 at 11:50 PM Post #20,723 of 45,723

So I tried a 32 GB SanDisk MicroSD with music already on it.. that Works! It gets updated into the library and plays just fine. I can’t imagine that 128GB is too big, as I seem to have found some post that got 400GB to work. Maybe it’s the fact it is an *Ultra* SD.

Make sure to let us know if that works. Enquiring minds want to know.

May 29, 2018 at 11:53 PM Post #20,724 of 45,723

What the... exFAT worked for me.. tres bizarre.. try FAT32 then please.

May 30, 2018 at 12:01 AM Post #20,725 of 45,723
What the... exFAT worked for me.. tres bizarre.. try FAT32 then please.

Since he got a 32GB card to work but not his new 128GB, the advice he got to use the official SD Association formatting tool is the best option, regardless of format protocol. Since one card worked without issue though, looks like it's not his WM1A, except to the extent it's a stickler for proper formatting. Hope he reports back.

May 30, 2018 at 12:04 AM Post #20,726 of 45,723

My "Ultra" 400GB SDXC card works like a charm without the tiniest of issues. Hope you get your cards to work pal...........the FAT and exFAT issues had been on at the beginning of the DAP bloom but now I found myself never having to bother about it anymore. Always just pop in a card and it's ready to go.

May 30, 2018 at 12:50 AM Post #20,727 of 45,723
Terrific performance, shame they didn't record the complete sonatas
1527655723884572703758.jpg

May 30, 2018 at 2:23 AM Post #20,728 of 45,723
I've delved into Pink Floyd so deep I can hardly listen to the studio albums anymore. I'm really looking forward to getting my new rig together and burned in so I can give them all a 'new' listen. This was the state of my PF mp3 collection on my old player, though the total collection (all FLAC) is well over 100 shows. This is just pared down to recordings that were good enough to listen on headphones. Yes, for the most part 'bootlegs' suck in the SQ department, even when they're good ... but there's something 'real' there that just can't be had on studio recordings.

SVpAKKI.png

That's amazing! I only have the 2CD of Pulse. I had another live bootleg on CD, but no more. I'm so old I remember the blinking LED the Pulse box had in 1995! When the LP of The Dark Side Of The Moon came out, it had stickers and two posters and because everyone had the LP, everyone had the posters in their room. I used to have the British Imports for Meddle too on LP. For the longest time the Alan Parsons quad-mix of TDSOTM was hard to get, though they did release it in digitaly a couple of years ago. I still use TDSOTM as my test record to judge equipment. The heart-beat when TDSOTM starts is always to the right as the human heart is to the left, but if a person was facing you.....you would hear it on the right hand side. Though it's all different on Parsons quad-mix. I have the Shine-On box set, though I'm not sure how the remastering is looked at? So far I like the November 2017 Japan mini-album set the best. I also collect needle drops (and some are amazing) but pretty much stick with the digital remasters, as it all starts to get really confusing. Much of the needle drops out there have a bunch of midrange air and there are some which seem to expand the soundstage with Floyd's work. And.......it may be how the LP really sounds, but I stick with the CDs as everything sounds in place, with nothing exaggerated.

There is also a Japan 1st CD pressing of Wish You Were Here (35DP-4 1A1 CBS/Sony) which is nice to go back to. It's maybe not as hot as the remaster but seems as everything is in place when you hear it.

Probably my greatest Floyd listening experience was hearing the TDSOTM 2003 Kevin Gray master on 180 gram virgin vinyl on a 100K headphone rig. Needless to say they were using HD800s and it was pretty detailed. Though out of my financial range it was the best I've heard the HD800s sound. Though with my modest system Floyd is fine sounding, as I'm not able or willing to spend 90K for that last 10%.

Last edited:
May 30, 2018 at 3:31 AM Post #20,729 of 45,723

I had the same problem. I tried a lot of things. Finally I put it in my Nikon 1 camera and formatted it there. Worked fine, now the WM1A recognizes the card.

May 30, 2018 at 6:09 AM Post #20,730 of 45,723
Was the Z7 vs. Z1R difference a “Wow!” difference, or a, “yeah, I can hear that,” difference?

I had to decide between them too and about 95% sure on the Z7 now, with the benefit that I can afford the WM1A if I get the lower-priced headphone (instead of zx300).
I use the Z7 in the office very much right now. I think if you do not compare them with the Z1R side by side, the Z7's are all you ever need.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back