SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
May 29, 2018 at 10:34 AM Post #20,686 of 45,723
is anyone using Dapper App to sync itunes on a mac with a WM1A?

I can see it's compatible it would be great to hear from anyone who's running it. thanks:)

May 29, 2018 at 10:52 AM Post #20,687 of 45,723
I went to Sony to have demo. I had Z7 and Z1R both using balanced cable. I agree that Z1R sounded now refined but with that price, I think I am happy with z7. I tried pairing z7-pha3-wn1a. There is slight improvement but not much to warrant extra spending. Now if only I could have denon ah-d7200 side by side...decision....decision...happy problem.

I took opportunity to try mdr-1am2. Not my taste. Though I found 1000xm2 was quite fun and pleasing especially wireless and all.

ANy Idea?

The 1Z and 1A get references to desktop audio quality due to their resolution and power. And.........to be fair they do set a new portable standard........as everyone here feels they do. And lists of portable players ranks them in a group with some of the best portable players.

That said, there is still a canyon of difference between them and a desk top experience while using full-size headphones. Needlesss to say, IEMs don’t need the juice. But I think it’s in the imagination of everyone.......to carry around the desktop audio experience. Even if it’s still a dream, it’s getting closer to reality all the time.

May 29, 2018 at 11:13 AM Post #20,688 of 45,723
Then never try WM1Z. It's darker than WM1A from what i tried in shop.

I've gave WM1Z a try.. Its really good. Smoother, more feelings. the vocals tho. very much enjoyed it but the price is one which i cant afford..

May 29, 2018 at 11:14 AM Post #20,689 of 45,723
Not sure the burn in time, it probably there more than 1 year since it is released. I am using 4.4mm

If you have a WM1A burn in for more than 500hrs balanced and still wowed by it. That's something. I was listening to the song that was preloaded in.

It sounds like an old slower pace instrumental song, something like jazz. The background is so dark. The feeling was so real, like i am listening it LIVE at the venue with the singer singing to me.

Other more rock or faster pace songs, i have not tried in the player yet. I only have a brief 10mins listen to the player as i am curious. Nice experience i would say.

The feelings! the darkness makes it real.

May 29, 2018 at 12:04 PM Post #20,691 of 45,723
You are quite a fan, aren't you? Great collection!

Thanks. I've got similar quantities of live shows for LedZep and Talking Heads, and smatterings of other bands. A good bootleg (and honestly, you have to sift your way through a lot of muck to find the few gems) is like a magical time machine. Just step through the door for 2-3 hours in nineteen-sixty/seventy/eighty-something. For example, if you look at that list I've got two different versions of the PF show at the Fillmore West on 1970-04-29. The first one, which is the full show and very well recorded at or above the front of the stage, is presumed to have been an unofficial recording by the venue itself (i.e., Bill Graham). But the recorder 2 version was made by a amateur bootlegger on a portable rig of some sort. Listening to that version puts you in the audience, with distance and imaging to match, and I much prefer it even though it's only half the show (the 2nd set unfortunately has uneven recording speed warping, probably from a dying battery). There's even a bit at the beginning of the recording before the show starts when the guy gets caught and gets told to 'pack it up.' He somehow makes a show of complying, the recording is briefly interrupted, and then starts up again several seconds into the first tune (Grantchester Meadows). After Astronomy Domine blows everyone away, you hear the taper's buddy quietly ask him, "are you recording this?" And you answer back along with the taper, "yeah."

Last edited:
May 29, 2018 at 12:20 PM Post #20,692 of 45,723
Yesterday i listened to 9h worth of DSD and at the end of day i only had one bar left on the battery :D, but oh boy it sounds too good

May 29, 2018 at 1:48 PM Post #20,693 of 45,723
I've delved into Pink Floyd so deep I can hardly listen to the studio albums anymore. I'm really looking forward to getting my new rig together and burned in so I can give them all a 'new' listen. This was the state of my PF mp3 collection on my old player, though the total collection (all FLAC) is well over 100 shows. This is just pared down to recordings that were good enough to listen on headphones. Yes, for the most part 'bootlegs' suck in the SQ department, even when they're good ... but there's something 'real' there that just can't be had on studio recordings.

SVpAKKI.png
So are these the r could endings you recommend for headphones then? :)

May 29, 2018 at 1:49 PM Post #20,694 of 45,723
I've delved into Pink Floyd so deep I can hardly listen to the studio albums anymore. I'm really looking forward to getting my new rig together and burned in so I can give them all a 'new' listen. This was the state of my PF mp3 collection on my old player, though the total collection (all FLAC) is well over 100 shows. This is just pared down to recordings that were good enough to listen on headphones. Yes, for the most part 'bootlegs' suck in the SQ department, even when they're good ... but there's something 'real' there that just can't be had on studio recordings.

SVpAKKI.png
David and Roger would have a fight over that collection!

May 29, 2018 at 1:55 PM Post #20,695 of 45,723

being also a big PF/bootlegs fans , let me suggest you find the 1977 montreal show (amazing SQ and of high historic significance - it's the show where Roger snaps and spits at the fan, apparently here is where he started contemplating the alienation theme which resulted 3 years later in the making of the wall record) and i also liked very much most of the 1980/81 shows on the wall tour (which were only some very few in germany/UK/US)

cheers

May 29, 2018 at 3:08 PM Post #20,696 of 45,723
being also a big PF/bootlegs fans , let me suggest you find the 1977 montreal show (amazing SQ and of high historic significance - it's the show where Roger snaps and spits at the fan, apparently here is where he started contemplating the alienation theme which resulted 3 years later in the making of the wall record) and i also liked very much most of the 1980/81 shows on the wall tour (which were only some very few in germany/UK/US)

cheers

Oh, I've got it, the Harvested version, HRV CDR0032, "Who Was Trained Not To Spit On The Fan."

I also have a few of the Wall shows, but I'm not crazy about that album. I know, weird.

So are these the r could endings you recommend for headphones then? :)

Yes, with a couple caveats. One, a few shows are on that list because the SQ is 'good enough' to bear on headphones, but more importantly there's something special either about the setlist or the particular performance. The San Diego show from 10/17/1971, for instance, is not a fantastic recording, but the version of "Careful with that Axe, Eugene" is extraordinarily better than any other time they played it that I've heard, and I've heard many dozens. Also all of the 1972 shows on the list are very good but less than excellent SQ (to my ears, but I'm picky), but are worth it for the evolution of Dark Side as they performed it for a year before releasing the album. Second, those are my picks for overall best sounding shows, but sometimes there are multiple recorders out there for one show, and sometimes the 'best' version has several versions floating around. I spent about 8 years (and more really, I still check in occasionally) on yeeshkul assembling my collection, and there are a few shows that I've upgraded more than three or four times since the first time I got a copy. Altogether I have over 40 DVD-R's full of live PF flac. It's always an ongoing effort to get the best available. And for a while it was relatively simple because there was a release group, Harvested, and you could be fairly sure with almost any show they released that it was the best one available. But, a few years ago they got a cease & desist served on them, and finding their releases isn't as easy anymore (but they're still out there).

Also, it's my personal list, so it reflects my personal tastes. I don't really like any live performance of "Atom Heart Mother" with orchestral/choir accompaniment, so even though there are a few great-sounding boots out there with AHM performed that way, they're not on that list. I prefer AHM performed by the band only. I also am pretty picky once DSotM was out, and the band started performing predominantly in large arenas and stadiums. Much more difficult to get a good recording under those conditions. And, another bit of pickiness, I don't much like saxophone in Echoes, which was the norm on the 1973 tour. I've got the shows, I just didn't convert them from FLAC to mp3 for portable use. The best recordings from the mid-70's come from a guy named Mike Millard, aka Mike the Mike. He was a despicable person for what he did, which was go to concerts pretending to be handicapped so he could bring in a portable reel-to-reel slung under his wheelchair, and get a great seat too due to his fake disability. But his boots are top-notch, there's no denying. The 1975-04-26 show in Los Angeles and the 1977-05-09 in Oakland are both Millard's, and they're excellent.

Last edited:
May 29, 2018 at 3:42 PM Post #20,697 of 45,723
is anyone using Dapper App to sync itunes on a mac with a WM1A?

I can see it's compatible it would be great to hear from anyone who's running it. thanks:)

By the way, HDTracks is having a sale right now, 20% off... theres a new button on the Dapper Utilities tab that finds the music in your Dapper library thats available on HDTracks in hires:

Screen Shot 2018-05-29 at 3.37.17 PM.png

May 29, 2018 at 4:17 PM Post #20,698 of 45,723
Oh, I've got it, the Harvested version, HRV CDR0032, "Who Was Trained Not To Spit On The Fan."

I also have a few of the Wall shows, but I'm not crazy about that album. I know, weird.

it's cool , i don't like the syd barrett era for instance

i am also a big fan of bootlegs like you, especially when the band can KILL IT live

there was a time period (around 2008) when i downloaded my ass off with favorite bootlegs (from sites like dime/zomb/traderden) but now i have cooled off , as i also have moved from typical 70s-90s rock into 70s/80s black music (soul/funk/disco/boogie) which is mostly studio-made

btw , since i saw you like talking heads (which is one of my favorite bands as well and they had a thing about killing it onstage) there is an abundance of live stuff from their good period 78-83 at dime , check it out

btw , the best soundboard option for me is something like what pearl jam do , which is they tape their shows and sell them afterwards

if you like Primus (a hit-or-miss band in people's minds) , the 2003-2004 official SBD shows are HUGE , the only band (probably along with tangerine dream) where i really prefer their live sound/stuff over their studio albums

cheers

Last edited:
May 29, 2018 at 4:48 PM Post #20,700 of 45,723
For anyone who wonder why I am letting my very lovely WM1Z going

The beast inside me is growing, and I am spoiling it Q_Q so much, that I cry from expenses and audio nirvana

Cool but not very portable

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back