HIBY R6 - DAP Dual DAC Balanced Out - Great Reviews and Over 500% Funded @ Indiegogo!
May 30, 2018 at 12:18 PM Post #3,527 of 6,622
^
Doesn't matter. Tidal will literally be offline soon anyway.

My R6 SS arrives today! Woohoo!
Maybe. I've heard that for many months.
I think there have been at least a few (if not more) Tidal updates (for the desktop at least) in the last week or so.
Not sure why they would do that if it is about to stop?

Mike

May 30, 2018 at 12:24 PM Post #3,528 of 6,622
Yes its funny at times. Ive switched it off and cleared the data.
If you've not yet updated do so as it does help a bit.
There is a routine to sort out artwork using a work around.
Check the older posts.

You could also download the App from Play as this does have a working fix.
But the Play version has Ad's which I'm not prepared to have.

Hopefully Hiby will get round to updating our version as I think its unfair we have to suffer Ads when backing the R6.
I used the work around and it didn't really work any better for me.

Also, a word to the wise, clearing data from the hiby music app deletes your playlists created in the music app.

This was a serious bummer, hiby should make it so those can be saved locally and not only as app data. I can't seem to find an option to save them somewhere else and do prefer to create them in the app itself...

May 30, 2018 at 2:49 PM Post #3,529 of 6,622
I used the work around and it didn't really work any better for me.

Also, a word to the wise, clearing data from the hiby music app deletes your playlists created in the music app.

This was a serious bummer, hiby should make it so those can be saved locally and not only as app data. I can't seem to find an option to save them somewhere else and do prefer to create them in the app itself...

Its in the hiby settings section.
If yoiu click on "Obtain cover art and lyrics automatically" you will be able to clear just the updated cover art done by hibys online updater.

Last edited:
May 30, 2018 at 8:22 PM Post #3,530 of 6,622
Well lookithere....

It arrived!

IMG_0920.JPG

A "shoutout" to MusicTeck for making the purchase and delivery to western Canada as painless as possible. No duties paid which is awesome.

Miter case arrived yesterday so I am ready to get this baby all set up and see/hear how it compares to the other children. The AKGs lurking behind the R6 which are currently my fave with DX200 will likely be the first earphones to try with Hiby.

May 30, 2018 at 9:40 PM Post #3,531 of 6,622
Well lookithere....

It arrived!

A "shoutout" to MusicTeck for making the purchase and delivery to western Canada as painless as possible. No duties paid which is awesome.

Miter case arrived yesterday so I am ready to get this baby all set up and see/hear how it compares to the other children. The AKGs lurking behind the R6 which are currently my fave with DX200 will likely be the first earphones to try with Hiby.

Enjoy! And be one of the legion! LOL...

May 30, 2018 at 10:04 PM Post #3,532 of 6,622
People experiencing issues with device slowness: I highly recommend NOT installing your SD card as internal. Instead set it up as external (removable), and store your media there.

I was really disappointed with this device because of how slow it was. I'm using a 256GB Adata MicroSDXC UHS-II U3 Class 10, which is exceptionally fast, but does not perform well in the HiBy r6 for some reason. Setup as removable storage, the device is significantly faster. No UI response issues, no slowness in Tidal. Big fan.

Last edited:
May 31, 2018 at 1:31 AM Post #3,533 of 6,622
^
Upon receipt of my R6 today I simply added an already loaded SD card from another DAP so I could listen straight away. It was not installed as internal or external but is recognized as external by the Hiby player. Should I reformat the SD card while it's in the Hiby and then repopulate the music library? I notice the extreme slowness of the GUI which I'm astonished by since the R6 specs is supposedly that of a top tier mobile phone. Is the sluggishness a result of simply just having an SD card installed?

More thoughts to come about the R6 but initial impression is VERY POSITIVE. Except the sluggish GUI.

May 31, 2018 at 7:09 AM Post #3,534 of 6,622
^
Upon receipt of my R6 today I simply added an already loaded SD card from another DAP so I could listen straight away. It was not installed as internal or external but is recognized as external by the Hiby player. Should I reformat the SD card while it's in the Hiby and then repopulate the music library? I notice the extreme slowness of the GUI which I'm astonished by since the R6 specs is supposedly that of a top tier mobile phone. Is the sluggishness a result of simply just having an SD card installed?

More thoughts to come about the R6 but initial impression is VERY POSITIVE. Except the sluggish GUI.

Before you start

Connect to wifi and then run the Wifi Update App to update to the newest firmware.

When thats updated etc. and rebboted . Shutdown and take out the SD card.

Make sure the R6 is off when taking out and replacing the Sd card.

I would format it on your PC as EXFAT.
Copy all your music manually placing it in Music/Artist/Album directory format.
Place it back into the R6. Boot up.
Wait for it to fully boot and It should ask whether to use it as internal or external.

select external.

Now there is a entry a bit further down this thread made by Joe @ Hiby explaining a routine to sort out album art on the hiby app.
best to do that.

May 31, 2018 at 10:30 AM Post #3,535 of 6,622
Before you start

Connect to wifi and then run the Wifi Update App to update to the newest firmware.

When thats updated etc. and rebboted . Shutdown and take out the SD card.

Make sure the R6 is off when taking out and replacing the Sd card.

I would format it on your PC as EXFAT.
Copy all your music manually placing it in Music/Artist/Album directory format.
Place it back into the R6. Boot up.
Wait for it to fully boot and It should ask whether to use it as internal or external.

select external.

Now there is a entry a bit further down this thread made by Joe @ Hiby explaining a routine to sort out album art on the hiby app.
best to do that.

Thanks!

I did first connect to WiFi and got the latest firmware update installed. No SD card in at that time.

I always ensure DAPs are powered down to remove/install cards.

Card is already exFAT & media is always organized Music top folder and /Artist/Album.

I don't recall a prompt for using card as internal/external so I will reinsert and check.

So far no problem with album art and I keep the auto-download art off.

If nothing is resolved from my checks I'll just reformat card and start from scratch.

One side note: Since I had the Miter case already on the Hiby prior to inserting an SD card it was a royal p-i-t-a to remove the case afterwards. R6 isn't "grippy" and the Miter is super tight. I might have to look for an alternate case. The included silicone one with the R6 does not do anything in terms of making the DAP look good.

2nd side note: Before DAP arrived I read Twister6 R6 review. It is mentioned there could/would be a need for IEMatch cable adapter for using IEMs. So far, using only N5005 & balanced, I found no such need for it. I will soon try with my other IEMs and hear what happens.

3rd side note: I've mentioned this before in other threads and I'll mention it here. The Hiby player app really needs an "Album Artist" tag sort.

Last edited:
May 31, 2018 at 2:49 PM Post #3,536 of 6,622
I'm suppose to be receiving my HiBy R6 by tomorrow.
I feel very impatient about this...

Anyway, it looks like installing an SD card slows the UI down?
Is there a recommended amount of storage for an SD card that we can't go over/won't be compatible with the HiBy R6?

May 31, 2018 at 2:59 PM Post #3,537 of 6,622

Is there a recommended amount of storage for an SD card that we can't go over/won't be compatible with the HiBy R6?

I've not experienced any slow down with mine. At all.
I've had a Samsung EVO 256gb originally and now a 400GB Sandisk and it runs just the same with both.

Just make sure you set yours to external memory and not internal.

May 31, 2018 at 3:19 PM Post #3,538 of 6,622

When you turn on the device it will ask you where you want to mount the SD card as internal or external storage.

The consensus is always choose external.

Seems like a few things are connecting with the SD cards themselves.

1. Most seem to be SanDisk.
2. A lot of 200 and 400gb card issues in particular (256gb as well).

SD cards are notorious for being sketchy in many regards, so it's hard to rule out fake cards or simply corrupt/older cards as the cause. SD cards have a relatively short life span, so, yeah......

May 31, 2018 at 4:10 PM Post #3,539 of 6,622
Last edited:
May 31, 2018 at 4:45 PM Post #3,540 of 6,622
Hmmm... I've only used Patriod micro-SD which has been problem free for the most part, though I only use 128GB and lower.

Been thinking about getting a 256GB. Maybe will wait a little longer, though I keep my playlists pretty limited, with just 20% being FLAC files, and 1-3% being DSD. More than 75% is MP3, so I can fit 9K files on my 128GB right now with maybe 20GB unused. Figure I have some time before needing to get larger cards right now.

Though my Bob Dylan collection (all Flac) can't fit in full.
Same for my Mozart collection.
Meh, by selecting songs I like most, it's workable for now.

Still, would be nice to one day be able to dump entire artist collections without picking and choosing to save space.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back