HIBY R6 - DAP Dual DAC Balanced Out - Great Reviews and Over 500% Funded @ Indiegogo!
May 29, 2018 at 2:18 PM Post #3,496 of 6,622
I will explain a bit, since you seem new to file types... (Everyone with more experience can ignore, or correct me)..

MP3 is a "lossy" format. Meaning that the original music is compressed and some of the detail is "lost" ! However It has been reported around 90% of people in "blind" testing can't tell Mp3 @ 320KBPS, from CD Quality that is 16/44.1 So IF your MP3's are 320 Kbps quality. they should sound very good on a player. As you drop to 256kbps, and surely at lower sampling rates than that, you will hear loss of details. (Same is true of ANY lossy format, like ACC.) It is possible to have mp3 even at 320kbps NOT sound great, IF it was encoded using a poor quality or older encoding software.

- When you convert a Lossy format like MP3 to FLAC or WAV, the quality will not change. It will not get better. What was lost, does not reappear when you convert to "lossless" format.

- If you convert original music from CD (or higher resolution source) to a Lossless format (Like Flac), you will not lose any of the music's original quality. And you can convert from one lossless format to another, with almost zero loss in quality.

- IF you try to convert an MP3 to an ACC, or any "Lossy to Lossy" file conversion, you will lose a little more quality with each conversion. Not that you'd continue doing this, but after several lossy to lossy conversions, the music will sound realy bad. It is not recommended to do lossy to lossy conversion because of this.

- I will not try to get into whether PCM, DSD, 24/196 files sound better than CD Quality at 16/44.1... But will say that I have some CD's that were recorded very well and sound fantastic. Sometimes a remastering of an album can sound better than the original. Sometimes not... Usually we hope that when someone sells "High-Res" music, that they have made a Great recording, or have Remastered to Improve the sound. Saddly, this is not always the case.
High-Res only guarantees that the music you hear, is closer to the original recording. A bad recording will still sound bad at higher bit rates... But a Good recording can sound great !

Hope that helps you some,

Yes, most definitely.. Thank you very much.

Time to get started with high-res.

May 29, 2018 at 2:26 PM Post #3,497 of 6,622
I've discovered that the R6, at least for some of the music I have, is distorting. Hrumph.

I tried high gain, low gain, adding the iFi IEMatch at high and ultra, turning off equalizer and magic 8, turn on equalizer and subtracting across the board, setting R6's volume really low....nothing seems to matter. Tried both line-out and regular headphone port and 2.5mm (using the headphones that came with the R6's campaign) trying different volumes for the latter two ports, all to no avail. For a lot of Keiko Matsui's music, it just distorts on whatever the loudest notes are on a particular song. At least four of my favorite Keiko Matsui songs all distort with the R6. I tried several other headphones with the R6, including KSE1200, HD800, T1, Utopia, TR80/250, and the distortion is there.

I also tested the same songs on the H2 and the MojoPoly using these headphones, and there is no distortion.

For pop/rock/r&b/house/rap/electronica/dubstep etc., I don't hear any distortion.

but for some reason, for some keiko matsui, some dave brubeck, and some louis armstrong, I'm finding tiny little moments of distortion from the R6, and it's driving me nuts.

May 29, 2018 at 2:49 PM Post #3,501 of 6,622
What I don't get why y volume has changed, can still go to 100 and down to zero, but instead of the increments going all the way to the top of the screen now its at the half way mark, a lot less play, I'm guessing its software related hopefully. Tried both headphone jacks seem fine, tho aux line out gave me a problem today in the car, that's when I noticed the issue any help would b great

May 29, 2018 at 2:50 PM Post #3,502 of 6,622
As long as its normal I am ok with it. None of my other players I have ever had did it. Thanks for the reply.

Yep, totally normal. Lotoo Paw Gold does that too. Something to do with the clock switching for the sample rate of a different multiple or something like that.

May 29, 2018 at 2:52 PM Post #3,503 of 6,622
Been having a few issues with the sd card since the new firmware update.

Had a couple of warnings about the sandisk sd card being corrupted and would I like to fix it? A quick reboot fixes this, but has happened 3 times now. Another one is that I can see albums on the card, select one and have it come up with "file not found" and proceeds to not find the rest of the album either. Meantime other apps can see the album just fine.

May 29, 2018 at 2:54 PM Post #3,504 of 6,622
What I don't get why y volume has changed, can still go to 100 and down to zero, but instead of the increments going all the way to the top of the screen now its at the half way mark, a lot less play, I'm guessing its software related hopefully. Tried both headphone jacks seem fine, tho aux line out gave me a problem today in the car, that's when I noticed the issue any help would b great

Could you please provide more info? Do you mean the volume circle on the Graphic Volume Screen doesn't go beyond 50, but when you use the buttons the volume goes all the way upto 100?

May 29, 2018 at 2:57 PM Post #3,505 of 6,622

Had a couple of warnings about the sandisk sd card being corrupted and would I like to fix it? A quick reboot fixes this, but has happened 3 times now. Another one is that I can see albums on the card, select one and have it come up with "file not found" and proceeds to not find the rest of the album either. Meantime other apps can see the album just fine.

I have used Sandisk SD and microSD cards most of my life for cameras, phones, GPS and what not. But when it comes to DAPs, I have heard quite a few issues with Sandisk cards on a few DAP threads (Plenue S, WM1A, LPG, R6). But the same people who report these issues, say that the same card works fine on a different device. Really weird.

Last edited:
May 29, 2018 at 4:02 PM Post #3,507 of 6,622

have you transfered via usb or direct to SD?

May 29, 2018 at 4:41 PM Post #3,508 of 6,622
Could you please provide more info? Do you mean the volume circle on the Graphic Volume Screen doesn't go beyond 50, but when you use the buttons the volume goes all the way upto 100?
The graphic only goes to half way instead of how it use to go all the way up, still goes from zero to one hundred no problem, just seem the increment between the lines on the graphic are tighter & have less play with the volume. Noticed after trying to use line out, could it have something to do with the line out?

Weird seems that the volume is back to norm. I'll have to try the line out again in the car.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back