Hi! Please recommend some custom IEM's for this newbie . . . .
Jul 21, 2011 at 4:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

bbrunskill

New Head-Fier
Hi, guys and girls!

I'm looking for some new IEM's. Right now, I have some universal UE's, I can't remember the model, but they are dual driver.

And I hate them. 

I'm a worship pastor, and in my job, I'm playing live music at least 4 times a week, often more. I'm very active onstage, and the UE's lose their seal and fall out very quickly. They also have a 'boxy' sound, to my ears, and when I play drums, I can never get enough kick, making me think the IEM's are lacking in low end. Also when playing drums, there is lots of bleed from cymbals, and my ears are always ringing the next day. And the **** cables are constantly falling out of the earpiece.

So I have $400USD for customs. Could probably get that up to 450, but thats it - I've got too many other bills to pay!

I'm leaning towards the 1964-T, but is there anything else I'm overlooking? I really like the idea of silicone/soft shells, and I know Sensaphonics are way out of my pricerange. Is there any other companies doing cheaper silicone customs? 

These IEMs will be use with my Sennheiser G2 wireless IEM system, and my MacBook for listening.

I play electric and acoustic guitar, drums, and I do quite a lot of audio recording. I'm not even slightly a hi-fi nut, but I know when something sounds good.

Thanks in advance!

Ben

Jul 21, 2011 at 5:01 AM Post #2 of 7
Try looking up Westone; they've got dual and triple driver models that should stay seated and comfortable, and isolate well with foam tips. The UM line is meant for stage use, the W line for regular consumers.

If you want customs, a reputable brand is JHA (Jerry Harvey Audio). Their entry level custom should set you back $400 on the dot, excluding ear impression fees that you'll have to sort out on your own. I've tried the demo unit before, and it sounded warm and pretty good overall. Different folks will tell you different things about the level of isolation achievable with customs--I can't say for sure, since I've never had customs.

I should mention that Westone uses a different material for its customs (tho I dunno if any models sit within your budget): hard acrylic, as most customs are made of, plus a heat-sensitive material for the in-ear section that is supposedly more comfortable, and might isolate more than regular acrylic. 

Sensaphonics makes their customs using soft medical-grade gel, I believe. This is meant to make it even more comfortable and isolate even better, although I've heard that it's finicky to wear, especially one-handed (which could be a key consideration for on-stage musicians).

Aug 3, 2011 at 7:04 PM Post #4 of 7
The JH5Pro willbe better for both sound quality and stage monitering, others choices are like UE4Pro, UM Marvel. BTW some universal IEMs are great for stage use (offers superb sound quality) and casual listening like GR07, SM3, UM3x, EX1000, Westone 4.

Aug 3, 2011 at 8:02 PM Post #5 of 7
The Westone AC2 and 1964-T should be good.

Another excellent option used by worship pastors and stage musicians is the Future Sonics Atrio with Softerwear custom silicone sleeves. These are high quality and perfect for a singer/drummer. I have a pair myself.

Aug 5, 2011 at 5:31 AM Post #7 of 7
Thanks for the help guys. Today I ordered a pair of 1964-T's. Trans Royal Blue with no art and soft canals. I can't wait to try them!
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back