Headphone technology: Are we at an end?
Jul 31, 2011 at 3:50 AM Post #16 of 44
The basic technology won't change, but advanced computer modeling will absolutely change things. I think about the NASA antenna from a few years back that was evolved via computer. It turned out very odd looking, like nothing a human would have produced, but works amazingly well. I'm sure that technology will be turned on drivers.

Also, I think DSP is just in its infancy. Sort of like how digital photography used to be. We'll probably be able to carefully tune an advanced model to compensate for our uneven hearing and personal preferences.

Jul 31, 2011 at 4:03 AM Post #17 of 44
Speaking of DSPs and computers, what about the Smyth Realizer? Is this the miracle speaker sound in headphone form that they've been touting? I don't understand why they don't just release the Realizer without the whole package.

I just experienced an X-D movie today. There must have been 20 speakers in the theatre. Maybe, multi-driver full-sized headphones should make a come back.

PS. Cowboys & Aliens would make a great drinking movie. Drink every time you see a gun.
tongue.gif

Jul 31, 2011 at 4:18 AM Post #18 of 44
I hoped Sony would continue their HD diaphragms but they didn't :frowning2:
Those had the best details

Jul 31, 2011 at 4:18 AM Post #19 of 44
Maybe it'll be like Mass Effect and we'll discover ancient alien audio technology on Mars. Guess what, headphones are not only weightless, but they use nano reproduction, and will look however you want them to. As for the actual audio reproduction, noise is limited to only be heard by the desired listener(s), as not to disturb others. It's essentially a vacuum that only sound waves can survive in, and they are transmitted in a perfect acoustical room environment, with no physical differences. Digital processing will be so advanced that external DACs or amps will not be needed. Outside sounds can be let through according to the user's desired volume. Wanna hear the world around you? Just adjust the volume. It's like a REAL universal remote. (hint hint, mute your girlfriend!) On the note of nano reproduction, a more desirable method may include physical, but featherweight holograms. It's there, but it's not. Want it to look like your favorite headphones as a kid? Maybe the HD650? Then model it, or think it. Want them to be invisible? Well you can sure as hell do that too. Sort of like the completely see through composite that's in development for stealth technologies. Commercial airlines have considered in investing in cockpits coated with it, so the pilots have a pure 180 degrees FoV. 

That's just my 2 cents XD!

Jul 31, 2011 at 5:27 AM Post #20 of 44
I was actually thinking about the application of water based cans. Using water to somehow transmit the sound as it does travel faster through it but then I got to thinking about how to interface that to the ear in a decent way. Some sort of immersed driver. Then I got to thinking it would have to be a special liquid that was stable in temperature fluctuations. The things I think about. Tragic. Hey you all heard this idea here first!      maybe

Jul 31, 2011 at 5:43 AM Post #21 of 44
We are just at the start. New materials, new electronics, new ways of understanding sound reproduction in headphones. There are drivers which haven't even been dreamed of yet. CNC machining will still improve along with new alloys of metal. New ic improvements along with noise filtering and power purification will bring new levels of performance. We will see a new age in sound reproduction in the next 20 years. Why would technology stop? Evolution has not stopped and technology could be looked at an offspring of human evolution. 

Jul 31, 2011 at 11:23 AM Post #23 of 44
Jul 31, 2011 at 12:12 PM Post #24 of 44

Personally I see the following avenues for headphones in the (near) future -

> Dramatic improvement in Noise-Cancellation Technology, to the Levels it can be applied to Top-Tier Cans. Current technology is not good enough at all.
>Wireless Transmission improving to audiophile levels (both these technologies will only come about once Battery Tech is able to break the current barriers of capacity vs. weight)
> Nanotech-engineered Diaphragms - imagine being able to construct diaphragms with molecular accuracy. Although you can say Sony already did it with the R10, who literally grew theirs; I'm talking about computer-optimized diaphragms that are made with the precise attributes required at each part of the Diaphragm. There is only so much current plastic molding and stamping technology can do.
>Improved Materials Science applied to Different parts of the Headphone. The HD800 is a step in this direction, and hopefully a step away from using exotic and rare materials that will make high-quality Headphones more affordable to the Everyman.
>Consider the following- every Dynamic Headphone made today has a bit of China in them. With the stranglehold the Chinese Government has on the World's Rare Earths, Magnets will become more expensive in the future. Unless the USA and Canada open up their mines again, we're looking at a possible shortage of magnetic materials to work with. This can be circumvented if somebody develops another lab-grown magnetic material that can be manufactured easily. OR we can see more people shifting to IEM's equipped with DSP's that simulate speaker systems.

Exotic technologies like Piezo / Plasma / AMT may only make cursory appearances unless some more research makes them viable. Newer technology may supersede them.

my $0.02

Jul 31, 2011 at 12:21 PM Post #25 of 44
> NC technology is enough. NC500D is enough. I see no need for improvement.
> Kleer.
> Yep. That's one thing that needs to be computerized.
> We need better acoustic chambers (driver housings) with new (more effective) damping materials.
> Please don't phase into politics.

Thank you very much for your input.

Jul 31, 2011 at 12:22 PM Post #26 of 44

Quote:
 Lighter, stiffer diaphragms? Magnets with denser magnetic flux? More delicate cavity design? An entirely new driver technology?

How about people who can sit still for five minutes and enjoy music without thinking of upgrading for no apparent reason. People who can admit that today's kilobuck headphones communicate music no better than $100 models from 20 years ago. People who will stop being gullible suckers everytime headphone manufacturers move the audiophile goalposts yet again with an even more expensive "flagship". Probably won't happen because technology today trains people to be ADD cases and to be happy with what they have for no more than a week and to be unable to focus on anything because they have too many other things to distract them and too many other opinions that matter more than their own, assuming they actually have one and can identify it. Oh, and all this is based on experience
biggrin.gif

Jul 31, 2011 at 12:43 PM Post #28 of 44

Quote:
Different consumers have different views. This we cannot and do not have the right to meddle with.

Well, i'm happy to report that i for one have indeed found my "perfect" headphones and haven't felt the need to upgrade for 3months now. 

Keeping my fingers crossed it does stay this way. 
biggrin.gif

Jul 31, 2011 at 1:07 PM Post #29 of 44

Quote:
Well, i'm happy to report that i for one have indeed found my "perfect" headphones and haven't felt the need to upgrade for 3months now. 

Good for you Crumpler! Glad you are happy.

And if someone tries to convince you that your 'perfect' headphone is not as such, keep in mind that they are probably insane.

No audio gear will ever reproduce music that sounds like the real thing so just enjoy recordings for what they are, recordings. Every time I hear live music I am reminded of how fake, grainy and distorted audio reproduction is in comparison, especially digital. So even if we were to be given "the perfect headphone" we wouldn't know it.

Jul 31, 2011 at 3:37 PM Post #30 of 44

Quote:
> NC technology is enough. NC500D is enough. I see no need for improvement.
  All right, if that works for you 
redface.gif

> Kleer.
  I don't see that being used very often nowadays. do you? that is why I said NEAR future 
wink.gif

> Yep. That's one thing that needs to be computerized.

> We need better acoustic chambers (driver housings) with new (more effective) damping materials.

> Please don't phase into politics.
Please don't misread my words.This isn't about politics. it's about the availability of simple raw materials. Necessity is the mother of Invention, and with this continued shortage, I am sure that new Technologies will get the funding and support to be developed. Technologies that will find their way into headphones that will perform better, be easier to produce and considerably cheaper, and outperform anything currently in the market.

Please read the following document - it was drafted in 2003, and still holds true to it's forecast of the Rare Earth Markets.   

http://www.allianceorg.com/pdfs/OverviewontheWorldofMagnets.pdf

Thank you very much for your input.
It's always a pleasure to be on Head-Fi
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back