Headphone technology: Are we at an end?
Jul 31, 2011 at 9:19 PM Post #32 of 44
Speaking of DSPs and computers, what about the Smyth Realizer? Is this the miracle speaker sound in headphone form that they've been touting? I don't understand why they don't just release the Realizer without the whole package.

I just experienced an X-D movie today. There must have been 20 speakers in the theatre. Maybe, multi-driver full-sized headphones should make a come back.

PS. Cowboys & Aliens would make a great drinking movie. Drink every time you see a gun.
tongue.gif

they still do but marketed as 'surround sound'' headphones/headsets. i personally find nothing wrong with plain stereo and stereo imagery. it can be as accurate as surround sound with no DSP used. i just think surround sound was a lazy way to achieve a perfect 360 degree image i personally think cause all you need is multiple speakers and no worry of the room they're used in(well not as much as stereo system).

back on topic. i think we pretty much tried every single tech out there since beginning of the first headphone ever made in the world of hi-fi. computers do play a big role in tuning the driver and that's only thing i can see that will continue to be number one thing to keep improving the sound the most. a new type of driver will not be made again most likely it'll be very expensive experiment and process and no one will be able to afford besides millionaires to put as their collection and claim to be the top audiophile the world ever saw with his magical ears.

Aug 1, 2011 at 12:22 AM Post #33 of 44

Quote:
I'm not entirely sure what you're referring too but I have a Sony headphone from the late 70s and it's the most detail oriented headphone I've ever heard.

Oh I meant the HD Nano thingys from the Qualia and SA series. Shame Sony went consumer afterwards...

Aug 1, 2011 at 1:11 AM Post #34 of 44
Theres still plenty of things to discover and enjoy. I read about a year ago technology that would allow sound to travel from a speaker to the listener at a certain angle with no one able to hear it but the listener no matter how loud they played it due to the sound only traveling along that angle path. Something like this implemented into open headphones would be great to prevent sound leakage and who knows what could be done with a multple angle set up with high quality sound that doesnt stuff a bunch of cheap drivers into each cup like gaming headphones do. Tight angles for tight sound
floatsmile.png

Aug 1, 2011 at 1:32 AM Post #35 of 44
I think this applies to more than just headphones. In a conventional sense the entire past decades have been a standstill in growth and technology compared to the earlier annals. Predictions of year past following the trend have indicated the present to be much more advanced the current situation. But look where we are. Terrorist attacks, celebrities making the news, the news in general, debt, no cures for hiv or cancer, no efficient system of transportation, and worse of all I can't leave the house without thinking positively of the future of mankind.

Aug 1, 2011 at 1:47 AM Post #36 of 44
I'm not entirely sure what you're referring too but I have a Sony headphone from the late 70s and it's the most detail oriented headphone I've ever heard.

what in the world. i think of seeing something like this with the k1000 drivers(i think). the diaphragm looks like it came straight from aliens and about to hatch one of those monsters to munch on your brains through your inner ears.

Aug 1, 2011 at 2:17 AM Post #38 of 44
Aug 1, 2011 at 2:47 AM Post #39 of 44
LOL don't get carried away now!

lol.that is good. wish i was decent at photoshop but i use it for is the paint tools. i always thought aliens were lactose intolerant tho or they're just doing it for the LOl's?

Oct 16, 2011 at 5:27 PM Post #40 of 44
plasma headphones are the way to go, imo.  
when well executed, plasma can't (virtually) be beaten.

maybe one day, there's already some plasma tweeters out there...

Oct 16, 2011 at 5:44 PM Post #41 of 44
Maybe not headphone tech but i wait for the day when we can have audio files that have a channel for every microphone and can be pushed into a earphone with a driver for every microphone so no part of any signal ever touches any other signal till it is in you ear drum. Because no driver can be at many places at once so vocal waveform is on top and follows a bass waveform.

Oct 16, 2011 at 5:52 PM Post #42 of 44
maybe, but anyway It will never be as realistic as binaural so, what's the point?

Oct 16, 2011 at 5:57 PM Post #43 of 44
For more detailed than a live performance reproduction.
 Also if the was a digital mixer from the source i could listen to an awesome drum solo by itself.

Oct 16, 2011 at 6:00 PM Post #44 of 44
ok, I thought you were talking about soundstaging..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back